Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #31
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Q: Who's going to be shooting the mirrorless FF?
A: The undecided.
I dunno, wasn't there some sort of Metro thing a few years ago?

Actually, what somebody earlier said - whoever doesn't give a FF about what other people think about his/her gear - just shoots with what works.

04-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Japanese girls want Kawaii things
04-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #33

Original Poster
Gender differences?

My original post (at least the choice of words) was bit tongue in cheek, but I really am curious if the gender difference observed in Japan exists in other countries/cultures.

I also wonder if camera enthusiasts have a few different cameras in their bag and might use a mirrorless differently from a DSLR. For example, I have a. k-5 as my main working camera but have a Panasonic lx-5 that I nearly always have on me. I sometimes dig out one of my two vintage Leica M2s when I feel the need to slow down and use film.

Mike
04-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #34

I'd like to say no, because I really like the GF2 with the evf, but that being said, my 9 year old daughter has hijacked it and no amount of ransom is getting it back. As for the question are DSLRs for men? My 15 year old daughter has a POS Sony Alpha and has been trying to hijack my k20d. "girlies" tend to use whatever they want.

04-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I don't think mirrorless cameras are necessarily girlie, but I can see how they might be more ergonomically sound for a woman than, say, a 1DS Mark IV. The weight adds up over the course of the day.

I just took my K1000 out for a spin (for the first time in 3 years) the other day because I missed the ergonomics...
04-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Uhmm. . . Why would I do such a thing? None of that is the truth!!
Ah, so now it's "the truth".
04-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #37
Forum Member

If that is the case, then I'm getting in touch with my femine side with excellent picture quality
04-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Just to play devil's advocate here: yes, if your body is so very delicately featured that you're prepared to dig through tons of menus for the simplest of settings, and to settle with high battery drain and lagg, just to carry less weight around... then yes.

But personally, I realise that current camera-gear today outperforms the average hobbyist. Girly or not. And mirror or no mirror.

04-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Well, you definitely sound like you don't know anything about Japan. If women have so little rights in Japan, than men have even less. Men's role in Japanese society is to earn money, work all day and night and hand over the money to the women. The women will go out for coffee with her friends do a bit of shopping and do dinner for the man when he gets home around 11pm and then falls asleep on the sofa. Not to mention he smokes 2 packs of cigs a day to cope with the stress.
Yeah I was hoping someone with more experience of Japanese culture could help correct my understanding. I'm thinking more about rights in terms of what people can do with their lives, rather than who spends the most money though. Japanese men may not spend the money, and may work all their lives, but they're at least expected to pursue a career, whereas it sounds like women are expected to find a wealthy man, have his children, spend his money and marry him.

Which is best for a person though, I don't know. What is Japanese culture like for men who want to look after children and take care of their wife whilst she earns the money in a career she devotes her life to? And what's the perception of LGBT groups in Japan?
04-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #40
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ah, so now it's "the truth".
Did I write that? I thought I said the other wasn't the truth.

We don't know what's going on - but eventually we will. That should be an interesting day here.
04-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Which is best for a person though, I don't know. What is Japanese culture like for men who want to look after children and take care of their wife whilst she earns the money in a career she devotes her life to? And what's the perception of LGBT groups in Japan?
They don't need any LGBT groups over there. They don't really care about this things, especially the way USA does, I don't care about it either, but then I live in Sydney. I think you are approaching this from very western mindset and have your own opinion of what rights are and are not and people in Japan would disagree about them. A lot of problems that exist over here are unheard of over there. It also goes the other way around.

Men looking after children? You must be kidding, the roles over there are strictly defined. Men have freedom? Hardly. Maybe through out high school and uni, but not once you join workforce. The culture over there is messed up in different ways, just like being there makes me realise that western culture is messed up in other ways. At least the men over there don't have to go through identity crisis that many men do in the western world (like described in the movie Fight Club).

Women can work and do work, my gf is a nurse and she can get a job anytime she wants at a drop of a hat. Would she support me, in her own words, no way...

There has been a lot of articles and books written about Japanese culture, if you want you can find them through google. I don't feel like writing a book about it right now, since it was done before, many times.
04-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Clearly we're all "pussies"...a REAL man would not settle for anything smaller than this.
Ok silly jokes besides, i think the gadget craving, the size and chunkiness appretiation is indeed a social thing taught to males...they try to sell us all kind of things relying on that simplistic and kind of insulting assumption that we're like big children with a toy fixation and that we're always inecure about our virillity. i suppose women who own dslrs or photo gear see further from that gear minded universe and go for the things that deliver the results they want within some very reasonable limits of comfort.

(PD: the man in the photo is Kenro Izu, and he's got some great inspiring landscapes...and beautifull figure studies...oh and he's a generous philantropist supporting a hospital in Cambodgia for the children victim to landmines..)
04-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #43

well, the EP3 I got yesterday is pretty solid, and wont call it girly...(lens does feel too light though)

However, my girlfriend today wanted this from Ebay

all asian girls like cute cute stuff... she was asking if they have Hello Kitty or Doraemon covers too

fortunately I have convinced her not to get the pink colour skins, instead settled for the Orange/mustard colour... atleast I can still use it in public :P
04-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
Clearly we're all "pussies"...a REAL man would not settle for anything smaller than this.
Ok silly jokes besides, i think the gadget craving, the size and chunkiness appretiation is indeed a social thing taught to males...they try to sell us all kind of things relying on that simplistic and kind of insulting assumption that we're like big children with a toy fixation and that we're always inecure about our virillity. i suppose women who own dslrs or photo gear see further from that gear minded universe and go for the things that deliver the results they want within some very reasonable limits of comfort.

(PD: the man in the photo is Kenro Izu, and he's got some great inspiring landscapes...and beautifull figure studies...oh and he's a generous philantropist supporting a hospital in Cambodgia for the children victim to landmines..)
meh, "real" Togs shoot polaroid

04-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #45
JPT
Pentaxian

I think it's fair to say that the marketing for mirrorless cameras in Japan has been firmly aimed at women, especially Olympus, Panasonic and Sony. I'm sure a lot of women who thought about getting into photography were put off by the size, weight and appearance of DSLRs. By comparison, male market has less potential.

Actually, there are lot of really good female photographers in Japan. The characterization that sometimes appears around these forums of Japanese women as scatterbrained, pink-clad kitty-lovers is a bit silly. Sure, that kind of fashion exists and is popularized by the Internet, but there are tens of millions of normal, grown-up people here too, you know!