Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'll stick with laying on my belly, thanks anyway.
Actually, I thought they were lying on their bellies to hide their big guts. :P

04-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Actually, I've found that the LCD on my humble K20D is viewable at surprisingly oblique angles. So I'm sure that a K-01 is at least as good in this respect.
In my personal experience a K-01 LCD set to highest brightness (easy. direct setting) is quite visible in the brightest sunlight, held like an SLR (not at arms' length). Many users have shown a number of quite nice photos taken at high noon on a cloudless day on the Add Your Best K-01 Photos thread.

rfortson shows images specifically taken in bright sunlight at high noon in Texas on THIS thread.

I do not accept any statement from anyone about the useability of a K-01 in sunlight unless they actually have one and can demonstrate that it doesn't work.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-18-2012 at 06:03 AM.
04-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #78
Banned

You asked. We delivered.
Yep, he looks like an idiot.
04-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I do not accept any statement from anyone about the useability of a K-01 in sunlight unless they actually have one and can demonstrate that it doesn't work.
I agree, not to mention they need to wear current prescription reading glasses. It seems like most of the people who are against it are older and I'm sure they have far from perfect vision. As for myself I'm short-sighted and I wear contacts, but I've noticed lately that I've started developing slight long sightedness as well if I hold an object too close to my face...

04-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I agree, not to mention they need to wear current prescription reading glasses. It seems like most of the people who are against it are older and I'm sure they have far from perfect vision. As for myself I'm short-sighted and I wear contacts, but I've noticed lately that I've started developing slight long sightedness as well if I hold an object too close to my face...
Ah the every lurking presbyopia. Not everyone that is older has bad vision, nor is everyone who dislikes the K-01 older, just many.
04-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah the every lurking presbyopia. Not everyone that is older has bad vision, nor is everyone who dislikes the K-01 older, just many.
given monochrome is older and has lots of vision issues. you are correct. He bought it to simplify Manual focus AFAIK, I've thought about it for the same reason
04-19-2012, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I recently started wearing reading glasses and now transitions. The LCD makes it easier for me since I don't have to smudge my glasses with a viewfinder, or take off my glasses for the shot, put them on to review or make changes, take them off again....

Though, in hearing other users experiences, there are other glasses wearers for whom LCD don't work. So, I guess it just works well in my case. But that's really all I need.
04-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
given monochrome is older and has lots of vision issues. you are correct. He bought it to simplify Manual focus AFAIK, I've thought about it for the same reason
thanks Eddie. After 4 eye surgeries (I'm only 56) Focus Peaking will keep me in the hobby with my beloved K lenses. I'm not whining - thank heaven I'm alive now and not 100 years ago. I wear tri-focal prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses.

Is the K-01 perfect? No. Class A has some valid points, though he and I have come to a closer understanding of each other; the camera is fun, is visually appealing (if you want that sort of thing) does produce beautiful images and Focus Peaking is a wonderful advancement.

He laments the fact that the camera could have been functionally perfect - and he's right. The design includes some concessions to a visual design ethic that inhibit "Form follows Function." I don't care what could have been because it is so good as it is!! I mean - just look at Russ's uploads!!

We've pretty much agreed to disagree, shake hands, go take pictures and see what Pentax has next on the docket - which we're hearing about today.

04-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #84
Veteran Member

I would not buy a mirrorless... unless of course, it was a Leica.

Answering the question- no, I've seen plenty of men with mirrorless- especially Asian tourists in the city.
04-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #85
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I would not buy a mirrorless... unless of course, it was a Leica.

Answering the question- no, I've seen plenty of men with mirrorless- especially Asian tourists in the city.

Having a Leica M9p (mirrorless, but also rangefinder), but also a model that I don't have - Fuji X-Pro 1...

The Leica is great, but there's also the cost of the camera body itself - and perhaps worse the lens'. But the optical quality is unmatched - but when it comes to the final results a majority of the time - there is not all that much of a difference in the final result.

Interestingly enough... I would take my Pentax K-01 over the Fuji any day of the week.
04-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Having a Leica M9p (mirrorless, but also rangefinder), but also a model that I don't have - Fuji X-Pro 1...

The Leica is great, but there's also the cost of the camera body itself - and perhaps worse the lens'. But the optical quality is unmatched - but when it comes to the final results a majority of the time - there is not all that much of a difference in the final result.

Interestingly enough... I would take my Pentax K-01 over the Fuji any day of the week.
I'd love to hear why you'd take the 01 over the Fuji.
04-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #87
Banned

Photos: Albums
I'd love to hear why you'd take the 01 over the Fuji.

The main advantage of the Fuji is in fat that it is a rangefinder of sorts - yet also with a screen; but that's about where it ends.

I can't believe the camera is released with only two Fuji XF lens'. I know someone whom has one; so I've asked to borrow it for a few comparison and contrast pics; also tried out with twose two Fuji lens - at all of it's settings.

The two Fuji XF lens tested... 18mm f2.0 & 35mm f1.4

versus

Zeiss (PK) 28mm F2.0. Actually there is no comparison; the Zeiss wins against both the Fuji examples, but also noting the Zeiss is manual focus.

Pentax FA 31mm f1.8. Again optically superior to both Fuji examples. And here is where there is a considerable notable difference; the Pentax focuses considerably faster and more accurately. Now I've noticed a lot of people that seem to have foc issues with the K-01, but guess what the K-01 wins considerably - even though it cost how much less?!?

Pentax DA 14mm f2.8. It's about as close to a draw as it gets.

Conclusion. If you offered to buy either one of them for me I'd take the Pentax most every time. Again the only thing the Fuji seems to have on the Pentax is the rangefinder. Unfortunately I was not impressed by the Fuji.

Also a bit of speculation... I couldn't help but notice the line view of the rangefinder even with these only two existing lens'. It wouldn't take a lens of much longer length or width to start getting in the way of the rangefinder - ie cuting into one of the corners of the eye visual image.

Also on this forum (and in general) I've seen concerns about the form and function of the Pentax K-01, but... The Fuji is not all that much different if fit. It does have somewhat of a grip, but not much of one. If one uses the rangefinder one can't help but almost smudge the lcd viewscreen. I expected more from Fuji given the cost