Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

No, not girlie.

If they ran on 2 or 3 AA batts I'd buy a few of them. Would never think of them as girlie unless they were pink bodies.

04-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also Women's rights in Japan are generally regarded as being pretty poor compared to Europe and the USA. A big expensive FF DSLR is a sign of wealth and success, something that women are most likely not encouraged to reach for in Japan. This might make women feel uncomfortable with the idea of using equipment like this (as well as because of the physical size and weight of it, which makes anyone uncomfortable), as the remnants of an age-old patriarchy may make them feel like that. If someone could comment further on the state of Women's rights in Japan it'd be very interesting.

Mirrorless cameras are less bulky and less of an over-bearing symbol of status and wealth. They deliver fantastic results without making such a fuss, and perhaps this is an attitude that Women are made to feel more at ease with in Japan.

Note: To clarify, I have no idea what the state of Women's rights is in Japan, but I've heard from friends and relatives that it's pretty poor.
04-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

It takes a REAL man to dress in drag, use a MILC, and [deleted].

As mentioned, 'mirrorless' covers lots of ground, from a 4x5in view.cam to a grain-of-rice spy.cam. Not to forget RFs, oatmeal-carton pinhole cams, old Polaroids, traffic|security surveillance cams, and every damn P&S ever made. Beware of gender stereotyping. Except for pink Hello Kitty cams -- and who knows, those might be big in Venice?
04-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It takes a REAL man to dress in drag, use a MILC, and [deleted].

As mentioned, 'mirrorless' covers lots of ground, from a 4x5in view.cam to a grain-of-rice spy.cam. Not to forget RFs, oatmeal-carton pinhole cams, old Polaroids, traffic|security surveillance cams, and every damn P&S ever made. Beware of gender stereotyping. Except for pink Hello Kitty cams -- and who knows, those might be big in Venice?

Venice, CA - yup.

04-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well let's see this "chick" who actually loves most "girly" things, remember I'm a Barbie collector here, doesn't particularly want one. As far as I am concerned those things are just overpriced pocket cams that you happen to be able to put other lenses on. I don't like the lack of a proper viewfinder at all. I can't stand using LV on my DSLR. I certainly don't want to be restricted to using it all the time just to be able to put a cute bodied mirror-less in my pocket. I will admit they have their uses and they are a bit more discreet than using a DSLR which could work to your advantage in some situations but I would never take one over a proper DSLR. Even if it was cute and Barbie pink. No sale unless Pentax or whomever is giving them away, in which case I'd probably take one and toss my little 6MP purse cam. Use it like that, as a once in a while backup to toting my REAL cameras, laugh.

FYI, that cam is strictly for emergencies. I don't really take a whole lot of pics with it. I keep in the purse because I can't always tote my real gear and now and again I need to take a quick snap to remember something, like where the car is parked at Walmart. (I'm bad with remembering where I parked, sue me.) Or the title of some book I saw that I want to look up to see if it's a good read. For real pics though the thing is useless. The LV screen is hopelessly dark. That's the problem with cameras like that, that use an LCD screen and nothing else. You really would have to have an excellent screen to make it work, and from what I've seen? They usually don't. A viewer is definitely better most of the time. A LV only type situation? I find it distracting actually when composing a photograph. Too much like looking at a murky moving video screen when I need a bright still life type scenario.

Besides which most of the people I see with them and excited about them are the guys.
04-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I'm not afraid to admit I shoot a K-01. But then that's a pretty big mirrorless. And mine is black.
04-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Women here generally wear a purse big enough to fit a full-frame plus a lens and med got, well, pockets. Beats me why men go with the chunkiness.

04-16-2012, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

@monochrome, perhaps you should change your sgnature to;

"Beware Pentaxians, Ricoh has a plan and it involves making weird cameras that no one wants to buy, and making everyone unhappy by doubling the prices of the equipment that makes sense."
04-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Women here generally wear a purse big enough to fit a full-frame plus a lens and med got, well, pockets. Beats me why men go with the chunkiness.
Just because you have a bag that big though doesn't mean there's room in it for all that. I have a messenger bag for a purse. Thought I'd be able to carry my DSLR and several lenses, my book reader, and all my normal purse crap in there, no problem. But no, not really. The bigger the bag the more crap I end up shoving in there and FYI a lot of it is the crap belonging to the men in my life. They don't want to carry anything that won't fit into a pocket so I always end up lugging all their junk too! I literally got a bad crick in my neck about a week ago from lugging 25lbs of "stuff" around all day actually. No camera, just my reader, my usual purse junk and the dozen things they all gave me to "hold" during the day. I was actually walking funny my bag was so heavy but oddly no one noticed. My one roommate is talking about getting a Nikon mirrorless something, wants one real bad for his birthday. I told him that if he got it he's getting a darned messenger type bag and lugging all his shiz from now on himself. I've likely got enough my purse most days to knock out a mugger with and that's before you add an SLR/DSLR and a lens or two...
04-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Just because you have a bag that big though doesn't mean there's room in it for all that.
Nonsense, they are like bottomless hole fitting everything you put in them and most of the stuff simply disappears, never to be found again.
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
They don't want to carry anything that won't fit into a pocket so I always end up lugging all their junk too!
Here in my social group women got power over men and even I usually end up like a mule carrying everything from purses and bags to cellphones and shoes.
Maybe it's a Swedish thing?
04-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Nonsense, they are like bottomless hole fitting everything you put in them and most of the stuff simply disappears, never to be found again.

Here in my social group women got power over men and even I usually end up like a mule carrying everything from purses and bags to cellphones and shoes.
Maybe it's a Swedish thing?
Must be, but I beg to differ on the bottomless pit thing. Haven't you ever seen one of these?

Jeri’s Organizing & Decluttering News: Purse Organizer Found During Flight to Paris (and 8 More)

I made one of these or essentially the same thing. Haven't lost a thing in there since...;P
04-16-2012, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
@monochrome, perhaps you should change your sgnature to;

"Beware Pentaxians, Ricoh has a plan and it involves making weird cameras that no one wants to buy, and making everyone unhappy by doubling the prices of the equipment that makes sense."
Uhmm. . . Why would I do such a thing? None of that is the truth!!
04-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Uhmm. . . Why would I do such a thing? None of that is the truth!!
Your level of patience and tact is incredible.
04-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Chicks shoot mirrorless and real men shoot FF.
Q: Who's going to be shooting the mirrorless FF?
A: The undecided.
04-16-2012, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Also Women's rights in Japan are generally regarded as being pretty poor compared to Europe and the USA. A big expensive FF DSLR is a sign of wealth and success, something that women are most likely not encouraged to reach for in Japan. This might make women feel uncomfortable with the idea of using equipment like this (as well as because of the physical size and weight of it, which makes anyone uncomfortable), as the remnants of an age-old patriarchy may make them feel like that. If someone could comment further on the state of Women's rights in Japan it'd be very interesting.

Mirrorless cameras are less bulky and less of an over-bearing symbol of status and wealth. They deliver fantastic results without making such a fuss, and perhaps this is an attitude that Women are made to feel more at ease with in Japan.

Note: To clarify, I have no idea what the state of Women's rights is in Japan, but I've heard from friends and relatives that it's pretty poor.
Well, you definitely sound like you don't know anything about Japan. If women have so little rights in Japan, than men have even less. Men's role in Japanese society is to earn money, work all day and night and hand over the money to the women. The women will go out for coffee with her friends do a bit of shopping and do dinner for the man when he gets home around 11pm and then falls asleep on the sofa. Not to mention he smokes 2 packs of cigs a day to cope with the stress.

Women have a lot of rights in Japan, more so than men. If the women walks away with the kids and she doesn't want you to see them, it's her right and the men have no say about it. In the background women hold lots of power and they are not as helpless as the western media and some individuals would like to portray them.

I'm speaking here from experience, I've a Japanese gf, lots of Japanese friends who are married couples and also expats who were married and divorced with Japanese women. The law is most often on the women's side.

As for cameras, about 75% or more shops cater towards women, since they are the ones who spend money. If a camera manufacturer wants to sell large quantity of cameras in Japan, they will cater to women. Considering that Japanese women are quiet short with average height of 155cm and weight anywhere between 42-47kg, they will not want a camera and lens that weights more than 5% of their body weight hanging from their neck. I guess it would be equivalent of me having a 5kg (11lbs) camera hanging from my neck. Mirrorless cameras just make sense over there, since they are the ones which will get used.