Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Would these guys be "girlie" photographers if they were using mirrorless cameras?

04-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I think this has been heard before. Back in the day, "real men" used view cameras, and only girlies and camera fields (many female) used handheld miniatures. Then "real men" shot (mirrorless) 4x5 Speed Graphics, and wussies used those little 35mm toys like (mirrorless) Leicas. Later, "real men" shot Rolleiflexes and Nikon F's, and only wimps had little Olympus Pen-FT's and OM's and Pentax M's.

Maybe the (mirrorless) Olympus XA and Rollei 35 broke the cycle: tiny cameras producing great results, that a "real man" pro could keep in his pocket for emergencies. (Is that an XA in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? Heh heh.) Of course, "real men" spies used the tiny (mirrorless) Minox for generations.

Meanwhile, as I surf the tourista waves in Tombstone Canyon here in vertical Bisbee Arizona, I see lotsa lotsa women with big dSLRs and lotsa lotsa men with little bridge cams. Not many Oriental tourists here so I don't know what they're shooting nor gender distinctions. But I see people of many sizes and genders using cameras of various sizes with little correlation. Go figure.
04-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Would these guys be "girlie" photographers if they were using mirrorless cameras?
No, but then they would just look stupid having large telephoto lenses on a mirrorless, camera at arms length, and probably having their mouth open.
04-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
My original post (at least the choice of words) was bit tongue in cheek, but I really am curious if the gender difference observed in Japan exists in other countries/cultures.

I also wonder if camera enthusiasts have a few different cameras in their bag and might use a mirrorless differently from a DSLR. For example, I have a. k-5 as my main working camera but have a Panasonic lx-5 that I nearly always have on me. I sometimes dig out one of my two vintage Leica M2s when I feel the need to slow down and use film.

Mike
Ever since I first got a dSLR in 2006 I also wanted equivalent capabilities in a smaller package. I don't mind carrying around a dSLR, but sometimes it's just more convenient to carry a smaller camera. First, I found a Canon G9 when Circuit City was doing the death spiral. It's a nice little camera and it has great IQ in good light. However, I originally wanted a dSLR for when the light wasn't that good. So, while the G9 was nice, it didn't serve as a dSLR replacement due to the small sensor. When the digital Pen first came out, I was smitten. I saw one in London on vacation the first week it came out, and I bought one when I got home. That camera was close enough to my K20 in image quality, that I've been happy using it. However, again, it's not quite there in low light, so when the K-01 was announced, I was happy. I bought one of those the first week, intending to sell my Pen kit. However, since the K-01 is a little larger than I'd like, I decided to keep the Pen kit. So now I have the K5, the Pen and the K-01. The Canon G9 went to my wife, and she loves it.

So, I don't know if that makes me a girlie man or not.

04-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
They don't need any LGBT groups over there. They don't really care about this things, especially the way USA does, I don't care about it either, but then I live in Sydney. I think you are approaching this from very western mindset and have your own opinion of what rights are and are not and people in Japan would disagree about them. A lot of problems that exist over here are unheard of over there. It also goes the other way around.
Yeah I can only approach this from a western objective point of view unfortunately, but I do appreciate the discussion. It's always better for education to talk about things rather than just read. Reading about LGBT issues over there, things seem a lot more easy-going than in the US or UK. Which is interesting enough in itself.

Cheers for the reply, I'm not really that interested that I'd read a book, it just sprung to my mind around this mirrorless marketed at women idea. Thought someone here might be able to comment.

Also, it is very bizarre for me to consider such a culture considering my bisexual (with very strong women's/LGBT rights ideologies) girlfriend currently supports me whilst I pursue a career in photography, and would only stop doing so if I decided I wanted to be a house-wife. The idea of there being distinct gender roles and no-one caring is very weird to me.

But yeah, this is a camera/photography forum, not a place for discussion about modern society. I'll shut up now.

Last edited by Mareket; 04-17-2012 at 09:35 AM.
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
No, but then they would just look stupid having large telephoto lenses on a mirrorless, camera at arms length, and probably having their mouth open.
Never heard of an EVF?
04-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well, they could just hold the MILC/600 like an SLR, with the LCD close to the face and the left hand under the lens.

(Ducking again).

04-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Never heard of an EVF?
Yes I have, but the guys in that picture are pointing their cameras at racecars. I've never experienced an EVF that could deal with that speeds. LOL, with the OLY PEN I had the car would have already passed when it would show up in the finder.
04-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #54
Banned

camera at arms length

Show me a photo of the idiot who holds any mirrorless camera at arms length.
04-17-2012, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
You asked. We delivered.

04-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Of course it is. Or are women supposed to stuff a FF DSLR in a purse and lug around all day?
04-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Yeah I can only approach this from a western objective point of view unfortunately, but I do appreciate the discussion. It's always better for education to talk about things rather than just read. Reading about LGBT issues over there, things seem a lot more easy-going than in the US or UK. Which is interesting enough in itself.

Cheers for the reply, I'm not really that interested that I'd read a book, it just sprung to my mind around this mirrorless marketed at women idea. Thought someone here might be able to comment.

Also, it is very bizarre for me to consider such a culture considering my bisexual (with very strong women's/LGBT rights ideologies) girlfriend currently supports me whilst I pursue a career in photography, and would only stop doing so if I decided I wanted to be a house-wife. The idea of there being distinct gender roles and no-one caring is very weird to me.

But yeah, this is a camera/photography forum, not a place for discussion about modern society. I'll shut up now.
The gay issues in western world are very influenced by the church/Catholicism/Christianity. If you take them out of equation, which is the case for most asian countries. They become non-issues. In Japan there are very defined gender roles and the culture is more about the greater good of society at your own sacrifice. It's a lot to do with the samurai culture, and that's where a lot of the gay issues originate.

Anyway, back on topic of cameras. it's part of american culture to get bigger and by definition the bigger something is the better it must be. A huge house with half of it being unused, huge SUV, the bigger the better. I guess same goes for huge camera and massive lenses. Since I'm not american this concepts are quiet silly to me. I like living in a high up apartment with no garden or law to take care off, it frees up my time on other hobbies that I have. No lawn to mow etc... I do not own a car and used to own a motorcycle, I used to own a big Nikon dSLR and I never used it since it was too big. Then I moved to m4/3 and I've took loads of photos, but I hit lots of limits, then I've found my sweet-spot in Pentax.

I've just convinced my Russian co-worker into buying a K-01, I've played around with it yesterday and it's much smaller than K-5 no matter what other people say. He just sold his Nikon D300s with f2.8 zoom since it saw too little use as it was too heavy. Now I dare anyone too say that he's not manly. He's very happy with it so far, especially with the 40mm prime and the sensor. It's quiet fascinating little camera. It has the cute look about it that Japanese would like, but I think it's quiet big for the Japanese market. When I was there last February the Q seemed to have quiet a presence in stores on display and quiet a lot of women looked at it because of size and the looks, both very important for that market. But I think the Q priced itself out of that market since it seemed that people liked it, but just couldn't justify to handover the money for it.
04-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You asked. We delivered.
It's a fashion statement.
04-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It's a fashion statement.
And here I thought it was a bifocals statement.
04-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
errr.... I think I did that... even when I was first playing with the LV on the K5... bad habits hard to get rid of