Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by okitoki Quote
errr.... I think I did that... even when I was first playing with the LV on the K5... bad habits hard to get rid of
I just hope you are not holding your phone this way too

04-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #62

sign of old age.... can only see better if kept arms length away
04-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by okitoki Quote
sign of old age.... can only see better if kept arms length away
Wait, what am I supposed to be doing if I am not holding it at arm's length?
04-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I see people do that all the time even with cell phones. It's the LCD screen thing. A lot of them you can't really see to frame a pic till you do that. They're a bit too dark close up. My pink pocket cam is like that. I can't just walk up to something and click. I have to stand back, hold the darned thing out till the screen looks bright enough to see what I am shooting. I hate that actually. It's dumb and one of the reasons why I prefer a camera with a viewer to one with only an LCD. All the LV button on my K-x does is get in my way! I never use LV and don't even want it on the camera. Like the video function it's totally ignored by me until I accidentally press it by accident.

04-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You asked. We delivered.
Very good picture. You get extra points for the open mouth.

See... Nothing girly about that guy. But it looks really very foolish.
04-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #66
Veteran Member

I'm starting to suspect that most of the people complaining about LCD screens are in need of reading glasses and they need to complain about something (part of getting old, I'm getting that way as well). As you can see the below LCD screen isn't an issue for that user here and she's not hold the phone at arms length...

04-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I see people do that all the time even with cell phones. It's the LCD screen thing. A lot of them you can't really see to frame a pic till you do that. They're a bit too dark close up. My pink pocket cam is like that. I can't just walk up to something and click. I have to stand back, hold the darned thing out till the screen looks bright enough to see what I am shooting. I hate that actually. It's dumb and one of the reasons why I prefer a camera with a viewer to one with only an LCD. All the LV button on my K-x does is get in my way! I never use LV and don't even want it on the camera. Like the video function it's totally ignored by me until I accidentally press it by accident.
Now wait, there actually is a good use for the liveview screen. When manual focussing a very fast lens, nothing beats LV with high magnification. It takes ages to do, but focus is 100% accurate that way.

Still impossible to see anything on such a screen in very low light though. So then with a DSLR you can still choose to use the OVF.

04-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Would these guys be "girlie" photographers if they were using mirrorless cameras?
If they were using mirrorless cameras, they wouldn't need to lie on their bellies. I'm just sayin'.
04-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
If they were using mirrorless cameras, they wouldn't need to lie on their bellies. I'm just sayin'.
Because mirrorless cameras can shoot around corners and through walls?? How else do you get that particular perspective without laying on your belly and shooting at ground level?
04-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #70
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
No, but then they would just look stupid having large telephoto lenses on a mirrorless, camera at arms length, and probably having their mouth open.
You forgot the most critical component of shooting with mirrorless. It must work, because I see about 90% of the tourists everywhere I go using it with their P&Ss:
Besides the open mouth part, you are apparently supposed to bend over at about a 30 degree angle so your butt extends behind the center line of your body at least as far as your hands extend in front.
04-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Because mirrorless cameras can shoot around corners and through walls?? How else do you get that particular perspective without laying on your belly and shooting at ground level?
By using an articulated LCD, which, unfortunately, the K-01 misses out on. But, hey, it has a red dot, that makes up for a lot of things!
04-18-2012, 05:21 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I'm starting to suspect that most of the people complaining about LCD screens are in need of reading glasses and they need to complain about something (part of getting old, I'm getting that way as well). As you can see the below LCD screen isn't an issue for that user here and she's not hold the phone at arms length...
Uh, just a note, it looks like she's got a good phone. Not all of us have $500 smart phones with lovely bright screens. My pocket cam is a 6MP from several years ago. It's totally low end and my phone is a $25 Trac phone that has a very low end camera phone in it. Big difference and I have nice shiny new glasses for distance, reading, and avoiding undue sunlight, so really that's not the problem. Bad screens definitely, bad screens. ;P
04-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Now wait, there actually is a good use for the liveview screen. When manual focussing a very fast lens, nothing beats LV with high magnification. It takes ages to do, but focus is 100% accurate that way. Still impossible to see anything on such a screen in very low light though. So then with a DSLR you can still choose to use the OVF.
Bleh, using LV to manually focus is for sissies. (Just kidding....) I can't do it well actually. I focus better the other way. LV never works for me. I don't like video type screens. I can sit there all day trying to focus with one and I don't get much. I get better results with my viewer and a lot of patience actually when it comes to MF lenses. That's totally half-arsed backwards I'm told, but it's true anyhow.
04-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
By using an articulated LCD, which, unfortunately, the K-01 misses out on. But, hey, it has a red dot, that makes up for a lot of things!
So with the articulated screen what? You stoop and get a sore back to get that perspective?!? I'll stick with laying on my belly, thanks anyway.
04-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Actually, I've found that the LCD on my humble K20D is viewable at surprisingly oblique angles. So I'm sure that a K-01 is at least as good in this respect.