Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

HD video file size info needed

I'm an enthusiastic user of Phanfare Premium (James Robins - Powered by Phanfare). I wonder if those of you who have shot HD video (1080 30 fps and/or 720 60 fps) can tell me how well the output conforms with the maximum allowed for storage at Phanfare. The restrictions of interest to me are 20 GB maximum single video file size, and a maximum of 5 mb/second. I expect to shoot mostly in 24 fps for the film effect, but assume that setting yields a lower bit output rate.

Although Phanfare restricts single files to no more 20 minutes (slightly less than the max K-01 specs indicate), that isn't going to be a factor in my anticipated shooting. Fortunately, Phanfare converts to h.264 so that lines up well with the output of the K-01.

Thanks for any information you have to offer.

JNR

04-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I've never paid attention to file size vs frame rate. No help there. You could test that for yourself. But I take it you are not going to be using a video editor?

You can compress your end results about as much as you want with higher end video editors. You can compress the sound part of the video, stretch out the key frames (for those codecs using that) for more compression and specify the bit rate among other things.

I typically compress my video down to slightly higher quality video of the places that will transcode and compress it further. And I check what their key frame spacing is. If, for example, it is every 30 frames, it is best to match that; otherwise, they will grab an interpolated frame to make a key frame resulting in lower quality for you. It could even be automatic so you don't have to worry about that.

Last edited by tuco; 04-18-2012 at 12:53 PM.
04-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for those thoughts, Tuco. I have a pretty basic concept of video compared to my history in stills.

I don't have the camera yet, but will test appropriately once I have it.

Up to now, I have posted video from a Canon Optura 200 which is standard definition. Most of those went onto veoh.com (I'm a bit of a contrarian, as is often the case for Pentaxians). I have done just a small bit of HQ 1080 video in h.264 from a Samsung TL350/wb2000 - and that came out under 2.5mb/sec. Of course, that is only a 10 mb sensor. Extrapolating, I would guess the k-01 files come in at 4 mb/sec. or less, but it would be nice to know for sure.

If what I shoot for raw footage goes directly up to Phanfare as a matter of the need for cloud storage, it would be nice to not have it compromised. So if the typical file size shot at maximum quality keeps the file size down to 5 mb/sec. that would pretty well solve the problem. I have no idea if Phanfare is as good for video as it is for stills, but I have been very happy with the lack of compression and minimal degradation exhibited in the stills. I have done some editing and conversion between video file types. Frankly, I have found h.264 to be very good for basic quality needs and the restrictions typically faced when posting. In that regard, it seems that the K-01 is a good fit overall. I'm not exactly expecting high-end results, but good enough to satisfy clients who want an occasional video and understand that I'm primarily a still photographer.

I'm not about to say that I am thrilled with every aspect of the camera to meet my video needs. It would be much better if the K-01 had continuous video focus peaking (although MF in stills is a much-higher priority), and HDMI output in shooting mode (can that be difficult to accomplish?).

JNR