Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #1

Event Camera

I do have the Pentax K10D and I'm using it for taking pictures at events, parties and such. Would the K-01 be a good choice for taking pictures at dance events like salsaparties where people are moving around quiet alot and I need reliable AF?

04-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

The K-01 only has contrast focus so in situations with low contrast it will have a harder time focusing. It's got a much more sophisticated sensor and processor than your current camera but is also artificially limited to 1 RAW photo per second based on reports. So, the conclusion - it will depend upon the person answering because it's a judgement call based on what your priorities are - fast burst rate and fast focus or higher resolution and broader dynamic range?
04-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Under its intended conditions the CDAF autofocus of the K-01 is reliable. You could probably get away with using a K-01 as you described. Problem is, your conditions might not be suited to a K-01's best use (which I think of as "not action."). Fast motion capture in low light conditions might better be handled by a K-5 with PDAF ($1,099 for the time being)
04-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
This may be stepping away from the subject slightly, but I'm looking forward to being able to use the K-01 w/ 40mm kit lens at outdoor concert venues such as Lollapalooza, where they prohibit "Professional Recording (Photo, Video, Audio) Equipment (NO Detachable Zoom Lense, Tripods or Other Commercial Equipment". I can shoot candid photos all day long without attracting attention.