Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

M39 on K-01

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone, new to the forum.
Will you be able to use a Leica M39 Thread Mount lens on the K-01? Since the K-01 is mirrorless, will it have the same infinity focus problem?
I have searched the forum and the closest I come on the subject is to use a step down ring M42 to M39, then an adapter to fit M42 to K mount.
Will you still lose the infinity focus?

Many thanks
MIN

04-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No. The registration distance on the K-01 is the same as a Pentax SLR.

If you want infinity focus with LTM you will need a NEX, NX, or M4/3. The Q would work as well.
04-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Let's distinguish between three types of lenses with 39mm threads (I've heard of a 4th type but never seen it.)

1) LTM. These have a register (flange-focal distance) of 28.8mm. They can't reach infinity focus on a PK camera.
2) M39. These have the same 45.46mm register as M42 or PK. I use M39-M42 plus M42-PK adapters to fit these.
3) L39. These are enlarger lenses (ELs) with no 'register' as such. ELs longer than about 60mm can focus to infinity on PK cameras with the right extension.

One of the worst eBay feelings comes when one bids on multiple copies of a lens -- and wins them all -- and finds that they're LTM, not M39. Duh. Oh yeah, ANOTHER learning experience.
04-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Let's distinguish between three types of lenses with 39mm threads (I've heard of a 4th type but never seen it.)

1) LTM. These have a register (flange-focal distance) of 28.8mm. They can't reach infinity focus on a PK camera.
2) M39. These have the same 45.46mm register as M42 or PK. I use M39-M42 plus M42-PK adapters to fit these.
3) L39. These are enlarger lenses (ELs) with no 'register' as such. ELs longer than about 60mm can focus to infinity on PK cameras with the right extension.

One of the worst eBay feelings comes when one bids on multiple copies of a lens -- and wins them all -- and finds that they're LTM, not M39. Duh. Oh yeah, ANOTHER learning experience.
Thanx for your very informative reply. I am still confused though on the compatibility of the lens I bought.
Here is a eBay link of the lens I purchased Leica Leitz Summarit 50 mm f/1.5 Screw Mount Lens Wetzlar Professional Cleaned | eBay

From Ken Rockwell's website on screw mount camera review, Ken said this LEICA IIIf (1950-1957) It's half way down in the section of COMPATIBILITY
"Screw mount lenses are also called M39 by Leica, as well as L mount, LTM (Leica Thread Mount), 39mm x 1.0mm thread, Leica Thread, and probably even other appellations."
So he basically stated they are all the same where they probably have different flange focal distance he wan't aware of.
How do I tell which one of the LTM or M39 my lens belongs to ( I assume it's not an L39)

I am not a very technical guy and just need to know if I should keep the lens or sell it.

Again all the help and info here are really appreciated.
MIN

04-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Im not completely sure, but I think the M39 with the correct flange are mostly Russian lenses (Like the early Helios 44) and Leicas generally have the wrong flange for Pentax cameras. But if you already have the lens try it out. And tell us how it goes. Did you also buy an adapter? There are a couple different ones and some don't allow infinity focusing. Or you could use two adapters M39-M42, M42-PK
04-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by minime Quote
Thanx for your very informative reply. I am still confused though on the compatibility of the lens I bought.
Here is a eBay link of the lens I purchased Leica Leitz Summarit 50 mm f/1.5 Screw Mount Lens Wetzlar Professional Cleaned | eBay

From Ken Rockwell's website on screw mount camera review, Ken said this LEICA IIIf (1950-1957) It's half way down in the section of COMPATIBILITY
"Screw mount lenses are also called M39 by Leica, as well as L mount, LTM (Leica Thread Mount), 39mm x 1.0mm thread, Leica Thread, and probably even other appellations."
So he basically stated they are all the same where they probably have different flange focal distance he wan't aware of.
How do I tell which one of the LTM or M39 my lens belongs to ( I assume it's not an L39)

I am not a very technical guy and just need to know if I should keep the lens or sell it.

Again all the help and info here are really appreciated.
MIN
It is a LTM lens for rangefinder cameras.

As Na Horuk pointed out, most M39 lenses with the correct registration distance are early Soviet made lenses. The lens should have very good resale value as NEX and M4/3 users are desperate for lenses better than what is available to them new.
04-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi Boriscleto, thanx for your reply.
I just got an answer back from the seller who claim to be a Lecia factory trained technician and manager of a Leica workshop for the past 30 years. He told me it's a M39.
I will just try my luck with the double adapter solution and post back here if the infinity focus is possible.
So stay tuned.

Btw, anyone know a decent M39 to M42 , then M42 to K mount adapter?

Happy to take some advice here.
MIN

04-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanx for your reply Boriscleto.

I just got a reply back from the seller who claim to be a Leica trained technician for 30 years and Leica Repair shop manager. He says it's a M39.
I am just going to try my luck and buy the double adapters.
Will post back the result of infinity focus possibility here, so stay tuned.

Btw, does anyone know any good adapters from M39 to M42, then M42 to K mount?
04-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minime Quote
Thanx for your reply Boriscleto.

I just got a reply back from the seller who claim to be a Leica trained technician for 30 years and Leica Repair shop manager. He says it's a M39.
I am just going to try my luck and buy the double adapters.
Will post back the result of infinity focus possibility here, so stay tuned.

Btw, does anyone know any good adapters from M39 to M42, then M42 to K mount?
If you manage to adapt the lens you bought to fit a K-mount, it will not focus to infinity. Trust me, I owned this particular lens for a few months, and have extensive experience shooting both Leica rangefinders and Pentax SLRs. You can mount it with an adapter to a Sony NEX, Samsung NX, Micro Four Thirds, or Leica M8/M9 digital camera--but it is not something you can use as a normal lens with the K-01.
04-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanx for the advice.
Cheers,
MIN
04-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The thing is, M42 or M39 only mean the screw mount at the back is 42mm or 39mm. The Leica ones can have a different pitch and usually have different lens flange distances, because they were made for their specific Leica rangefinder and not really meant to be interchangeable with other SLRs. The Russian lenses used the open standard that was used by many manufacturers at that time. So M39 means the screw mount has 39mm radius, which is why technically Leica lenses are M39, but are also described as LTM or L39 - to differentiate them from Russian M39 lenses. Unfortunately screw size does not guarantee full compatibility. If you ask that technician whether the lens will be fully compatible with a Pentax K-mount camera without optical adapters he will probably be forced to say "no." But good luck in your endeavor, buying lenses can be tricky because there are so many mounts and things to watch out for!

When it comes to Pentax and 50mm, I would recommend an SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7. Or if your budget permits, even go for an f1.2. These are old manual lenses that are built like tanks, but don't feature AF. They work with modern Pentax cameras though, just need to meter using the green button.
04-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it is the LTM version with the shorter flange distance it will appear as if you had a ~17mm extension tube on the camera (difference between registration distances), so you can still do macro with the lens. How useful that is depends on the focal length. With a wide angle you will end up very close to the front lens.
04-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Banned

Would be nice to see some pictures made with this combo: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/179276-old-lenses.html

I'm going to hold a K-01 this weekend, just not yet my yellow one, since that is coming in a few weeks. I'm gonna try to fit some lenses from Auto 110 once my K-01 gets in.
04-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Would be nice to see some pictures made with this combo: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/179276-old-lenses.html

I'm going to hold a K-01 this weekend, just not yet my yellow one, since that is coming in a few weeks. I'm gonna try to fit some lenses from Auto 110 once my K-01 gets in.
Why? They will only work wide open, they won't focus to infinity, and they will vignette. It would be interesting if someone would make an adapter that could control aperture for the Q.
04-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpfisher Quote
If you manage to adapt the lens you bought to fit a K-mount, it will not focus to infinity. Trust me, I owned this particular lens for a few months, and have extensive experience shooting both Leica rangefinders and Pentax SLRs. You can mount it with an adapter to a Sony NEX, Samsung NX, Micro Four Thirds, or Leica M8/M9 digital camera--but it is not something you can use as a normal lens with the K-01.
It could also work with a Q if you could find an adapter . almost any lens made can theoretically be adapted to the Q