Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Battery options for the K-01

I've owned the Pentax K-01 since it first came out; I was one of the first in line for it. There are two more issues I'd like to address; both of which are rather minor.

Since I believe that there is room for it; why not have a second memory card option; much like some other camera makes & models?

Back to the thread issue... Batteries. I own two of them, but rarely have need for the second one. I'm still trying to get an accurate read on exactly how long they last under ideal shooting conditions, because... I'm one of those people that (if there are no people in the frame) like to make more timed exposures. For me - the longer the exposure the better. So when I end up getting the shutter down to about thirty seconds or so the camera also takes time in processing the image - as with any digital camera.

Also, every time I make a recharge of the batteries; I tend to back up the entire memory card - and my memory cards are quite large so it takes a bit of time.

I'm wondering if Pentax may be able to; under part of their firmware upgrade - to upgrade the display options to show a ballpark amount of minutes left of the batteries? But then again there's the accuracy issue of that countdown type of meter.

So one almost has to have a second battery handy; or risk running out of power.

I'm also not one of those people that would really like to use the tethered power cord. I'd almost be worried about accidently ripping it from the camera. Not sure of Pentax will ever officially come out with a botom of camera mounted power block. Hopefully sometime before full frame??

A closing note about battery options... Noting all of the battery specs - but perhaps more so than the specs - is the Pentax proprietary battery and it's connections - most definately covered by at least one patent... (and please do NOT try this one at home - risk of serious injury) I know of someone who could tear into the battery compartment and then adapt it to a real battery that would fit into the chamber. As to how long it would actually last is another issue all together.

It would be unlikely that Pentax would offer this, but would they allow someone else to borrow the technology for a fee? Almost wondering what the fee would be and if it would be worth it. To have a type of battery adapter that also accepts off the shelf batteries.