Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Lightroom 3 and the K-01?

Sorry for a basic question, but it is confusing to me that DNG isn't really universal, right?

I have always shot PEFs as a matter of habit mostly, but also because I was aware of the DNG issues with C1 which has been a primarily RAW editor for me until recently (and is still used for some situations).

Can anyone tell me if the K-01 DNGs can be properly converted using LR3. Yes, I know LR4 is available for a good price, but I don't soon plan to replace/modify one of my main computers (the one I use for most image processing) - and it is XP.

Yes, I know Windows 7 is good...

JNR

04-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LightRoom 3 has been handling my K-01 DNG files beautifully.
Go for it.
04-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Sorry for a basic question, but it is confusing to me that DNG isn't really universal, right?
What make you believe that?

DNG is a camera-independent RAW format. Any application that supports it can read the files regardless of the camera used to take them. If the application has issues with DNG, it is the fault of the application and not the format.

One of the main advantages of DNG is with new cameras you do not have to wait for software updates to support the new proprietary RAW formats.

So yes LR3 will read DNG files from K-01 (and any other camera that outputs DNG).
04-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Several threads here confirm that the Pentax version of DNG is not typically universal DNG. They render with purple and green background hues in C1 whose engineers confirm that they do not support anything in DNG that isn't the universal Adobe version. I don't blame Pentax and I don't blame C1. It just is what it is.

JNR