Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my evaluation of the K-01 for the first time.

ok, I went to LondonDrugs yesterday and tried out the K-01. too bad they didn't have the NEX-7 in stock to play with. so I only played with the K-01. I spent a long time holding the K-01. it felt weird with the boxy dimensions and chunky as well. never really got over and felt comfortable holding it. layout is kinda toy-ish, although looks solid and weather-sealed. controls are pretty basic and not as smooth as that of the K-5. AF speed is as fast as the K-5. shutter sound is OK but still not what I hoped for. although inspite of that, I did like it's focus peaking a lot, plus the idea of having the K-5 sensor in it and you can buy it for $250 less. a nice cheap alternative for the K-5.

04-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Banned

I think it's a better companion to the K-7 than the K-5 if you have many k-mount lenses and shoot in video mode as much as still mode.
04-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Its definitely not weather sealed and IMO its not a "cheap" alternative to the K5 at $899.

The Nex 5n strikes me as a better 2nd compact camera to the K5 and with a price at $699 (w/lens) with equal IQ to the K5. (After Ricoh's latest fiasco with the PR over their lens pricing, i'm not looking to get any more involved in Pentax products when there is a better alternative) I really tried to like the K01, but the lack of a cable connection or any backward looking IR control port, its too compromised for me. esp at that price.

Last edited by philbaum; 04-21-2012 at 08:28 AM.
04-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
didn't have the NEX-7 in stock

Sony has had a considerable problem with effectively getting the nex7 to market. First it was six plus months of delays. Then there's still an ordering backlog - expected to last well through the first half of this year.

In addition to owning a Pentax K-01 I also own a Sony A900, amoung many other systems, but... I'm highly discouraged with Sony.

If you do elect to stay with Sony; they do still have some smaller sized SLR's yet with a 24+mp sensor; I believe two of them are below 1k in american currency. I also have a Sony P&S that is taken about anywhere; more so before I got the K-01.

04-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Its definitely not weather sealed and IMO its not a "cheap" alternative to the K5 at $899.

The Nex 5n strikes me as a better 2nd compact camera to the K5 and with a price at $699 (w/lens) with equal IQ to the K5. (After Ricoh's latest fiasco with the PR over their lens pricing, i'm not looking to get any more involved in Pentax products when there is a better alternative) I really tried to like the K01, but the lack of a cable connection or any backward looking IR control port, its too compromised for me. esp at that price.
I think the GH2 is a better companion than the Nex-5n if you want the best quality HD video with Pentax glass. BTW the K-01 body is $749 .
04-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Banned

I have a K-01 this weelend and playing with it. It's a very nice camera. For those who like wide-open diaphragma's like f1.2/f1.4/f1.8 they should really think of a K-01 since it is much more convenient to pace your sharpness point then with K-5.
04-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've become very comfortable with the K-01 in my hands and have adjusted to the different button layout (from a K-5), which is closer to the K-r. The shape feels natural now. I believe the camera requires some getting accustomed to, but once done it is a delight.

Since I use MF lenses quite a lot and using a viewfinder had become a chore this camera is well-suited to my needs - native K-mount with no adapter.

That's what a camera should be all about. It is suited to my needs and some other cameras sren't.

04-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's true that one can get used to many different camera bodies, in time. But we shouldn't have to. Companies should pick a button layout and stick with it! Changing it arbitrarily on each successive camera is very annoying, because then we have to keep relearning, rather than relying on the muscle memory we already have. It makes using two different units in the field error-prone and tedious. This is not news, but rather a basic design principle.

(This criticism is not addressed only to Pentax. The Olympus PEN bodies have the same issue.)
04-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It's true that one can get used to many different camera bodies, in time. But we shouldn't have to. Companies should pick a button layout and stick with it! Changing it arbitrarily on each successive camera is very annoying, because then we have to keep relearning, rather than relying on the muscle memory we already have. It makes using two different units in the field error-prone and tedious. This is not news, but rather a basic design principle.

(This criticism is not addressed only to Pentax. The Olympus PEN bodies have the same issue.)
Sony lost me when they re-did their ergonomics a couple years back. I loved the A200 interface (A700-850-900) but it's a distant memory. I held the new models once or twice, accidentally turned off the camera reaching for the old control dial as many did. Finally I decided that, since they are forcing me to re-learn anyway, I'd prefer to learn a not-Sony interface.. and here I am.
04-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I think the GH2 is a better companion than the Nex-5n if you want the best quality HD video with Pentax glass. BTW the K-01 body is $749 .
Will my K-mount lenses work without an adapter on the NEX-5N and does the NEX-5N have in body SR that works with the 25 million K-mount lenses ?
04-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

I think part of this is a branding deal and part of it comes from fitting improvements into limited space. The technology isn't settled yet the way cars are. Steering wheels and pedals don't move, but dashboard electronics do.

The challenge now is to go out and use a dSLR and not have to hunt for buttons. But that shouldn't be any harder then having two different camera brands for two different uses.
04-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I have a K-01 this weelend and playing with it. It's a very nice camera. For those who like wide-open diaphragma's like f1.2/f1.4/f1.8 they should really think of a K-01 since it is much more convenient to pace your sharpness point then with K-5.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've become very comfortable with the K-01 in my hands and have adjusted to the different button layout (from a K-5), which is closer to the K-r. The shape feels natural now. I believe the camera requires some getting accustomed to, but once done it is a delight.

Since I use MF lenses quite a lot and using a viewfinder had become a chore this camera is well-suited to my needs - native K-mount with no adapter.

That's what a camera should be all about. It is suited to my needs and some other cameras sren't.
Sorry guys that i was a little grumpy about the Pentax K01, i'm sure i'll get over it. I'd like to see them do as well as they possibly can because i've got quite an investment in the K5 and don't want to change at this point. I'm gratified to see several happy users of the K01 - they obviously did get a number of things right!

I'm seeing a need for both stills and video. I got called in to take some stills 3 weeks back, for a promo shoot for a new play. The shoot was staged in a restaurant's kitchen with the actors in costume. They had also called in a video guy since the media rep likes to put both stills and an occasional video on the theatre's website. I showed up for the promo but the video guy didn't show and didn't call - bad form that. I didn't volunteer to do any video for them because i've never done that with my K5.

Anyway, its becoming obvious to me why camera makers are putting both on their dslrs - thats the way things are moving. I've resolved to developed whatever K5 capabilites are there. And any compact i buy - better have the best video capabilities i can find among its competitors.

I appreciate all the insight other forum members may have on K01,4/3's and Nex capabilities in the video arena.
04-23-2012, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Many things that are very good require some period of adjustment. It makes sense when you think about it....how can we create a truly new path and still remain familiar at the same time?
04-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think part of this is a branding deal and part of it comes from fitting improvements into limited space. The technology isn't settled yet the way cars are. Steering wheels and pedals don't move, but dashboard electronics do.
But of course I am not talking about fitting in new features. I am talking about moving buttons for no reason at all and even, arguably making the usability worse. There's absolutely no new function on the K-01 that requires any control to move.
04-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
Pentaxian

There is a shop called LondonDrugs ?!
what else do they sell ?
Pete