Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interestingly enough, Pundit echos much of my concerns RE this video.
I noticed issues with DR- I find the video fits the "made on a DSLR" visual model, which, for some reason seems to be equal to great quality at this time- mostly that high-contrast look, screw shadow or highlight detail. Sad that Pentax is following this trend at the moment instead of making a device capable of delivering great DR in video footage.

H.264 is great for the consumer who wants to stock their home videos on their computer- but it IS NOT a professional format. I mean, OK, this isn't a camera aimed at a pro or semi-pro market. But at least motion JPEG could have been included as a codec! Not to mention (as I've stated I don't know how many times) live HDMI output with no overlays that could be captured by an external recorder. This doesn't make for a cheap alternative (recorders worth their salt start at around $1,000.00), but at least it would have given an option for someone looking to exploit the capabilities of the device to fit their needs.

The BlackMagic Cinema Camera (in the wild in August), for around a grand more than a hypothetical K-01+external recorder combo is quite an interesting proposition. Yes, it uses (close to) a micro 4/3rds sensor so the wide end is a challenge (specifically since it has a canon/zeiss 35mm mount), but it's goal is to allow film-makers to shoot in formats that give professional quality with no tech barriers in terms of file format with 13 stops of dynamic range. Grade away! Get that film look!

05-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigerzen Quote
People see the negatives because that is what people want to see. They could choose to see the positives like how cool it would be to make films with this small video camera.
So true. Gee... the $725 K-01 doesn't match the video quality of a $4-15,000 professional video camera, how surprising and disappointing that is :cry:. Ho... has anyone noticed... accidently you can take quality still images with it too It is nice to know that this isn't a pro-video tool, but it certainly can be used as a learning tool for wanting-to-be video producers obviously !

Last edited by regor; 05-02-2012 at 02:51 PM.
05-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #18

Did you know BlackMagic also make an external recorder....

Blackmagic Design: HyperDeck Shuttle

It's $325 plus SSD. That's dirt cheap!

H.264 is fine during final conversion for release after colour correcting, grading and editing but is way too destructive for capture.

Blackmagic have released a sub $3k RAW camera that has (if you can believe the claims) 13 stops of DR! Yes it has a small sensor so the wide end and shallow DOF will be limited but it has definately raised the bar and before long I predict we'll see a plethora of $2k APS-C RAW video cameras then we can really have some fun!

DR is an issue for most video cameras and is why the high end cameras such as Arri, Red etc shoot RAW and have special log curves and other tricks to improve their DR.

While cameras such as the 5DM2 and even quite a few crop sensor cams offer good low light performance @ 1600-3200 ISO with low visible noise, that appears to have made some believe they can get away without any additional lighting at all. In other words lighting is only used if there's not enough to shoot at all. In fact in some indie DSLR camps it appears only practical lighting is ever needed if you're shooting on a 5DMk2. How many YouTube videos do you see where people comment how good their 5D MK2 works in a room with a single 25watt bulb yet the actual footage looks like rubbish because it's not lit for the asthetics.

This is my biggest annoyance when viewing low budget films shot on DSLR's. Lighting is a major part of the visual asthetic. Because a camera can produce acceptably low noise video @ 3200 ISO doesn't mean the scene should not be lit. This is also one of the reason we see contrast issues such as blown highlights with DSLR's. The normal rule is expose for the highlights, or at least allow half a stop before blowout (unless there is a good/practical reason for allowing them to blowout) and then progressively fill in the shadows until you reach the desired amount required contrast/detail. This is why a decent external monitor is required.

Think about it. If you are going to light a scene with something like an Arri Alexi which has 13+ stops of DR why the heck would you not light a scene with a DLSR that only has 7 or 8 stops of DR and somehow think it's going to magically look good and then wonder why the windows are blown out and the shadows are totally crushed?!! MADNESS!!

Anyway, after the frustration of the manual work around trick shooting video on my K5 I was considering buying a K-01 but the big killer was being unable to monitor out of the HDMI port while recording. I know this is only an $800 camera but in bright sunlight on a dolly, jib or stabliser no external monitoring makes it totally unusable. It was so frustrating. Pentax announce the K-01 and, after many requests finally gave us manual video control. "Hooray! I thought. Where do I sign up?".... BUT then they remove the ability to accurately monitor what is being shot while it is being shot.... F*@#ING IDIOTS!!

What has kept sales of the Canon 5D MK2 high for such a long time was not still shooters but video shooters. Manufacturers should not under estimate the demand for a well specced video capable DLSR/EVF camera.

Pentax has a oppourtunity to pick up some real sales with it's next camera if it meets that demand. However, if instead, we see a Pink, Blinged Out Lady Gaga endorsed fashion accessory then, at least for me, Pentax is finished as far as I'm concerned.

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
Interestingly enough, Pundit echos much of my concerns RE this video.
I noticed issues with DR- I find the video fits the "made on a DSLR" visual model, which, for some reason seems to be equal to great quality at this time- mostly that high-contrast look, screw shadow or highlight detail. Sad that Pentax is following this trend at the moment instead of making a device capable of delivering great DR in video footage.

H.264 is great for the consumer who wants to stock their home videos on their computer- but it IS NOT a professional format. I mean, OK, this isn't a camera aimed at a pro or semi-pro market. But at least motion JPEG could have been included as a codec! Not to mention (as I've stated I don't know how many times) live HDMI output with no overlays that could be captured by an external recorder. This doesn't make for a cheap alternative (recorders worth their salt start at around $1,000.00), but at least it would have given an option for someone looking to exploit the capabilities of the device to fit their needs.

The BlackMagic Cinema Camera (in the wild in August), for around a grand more than a hypothetical K-01+external recorder combo is quite an interesting proposition. Yes, it uses (close to) a micro 4/3rds sensor so the wide end is a challenge (specifically since it has a canon/zeiss 35mm mount), but it's goal is to allow film-makers to shoot in formats that give professional quality with no tech barriers in terms of file format with 13 stops of dynamic range. Grade away! Get that film look!

Last edited by pundit; 05-02-2012 at 05:25 PM.
05-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #19

Yes there is a sub $800 camera that can match (and even exceed) the quality of $4-15,000 professional video cameras when in the right hands. Not only that, it has been for sale for almost two years, has full manual control. It gives full 1080 out of its HDMI port. It has less aliasing and moire than almost any other hybrid camera. It can be configured to record with bitrates up to almost 200mbit/s and can record to an external recorder. Properly captured and graded it can look closer to film than any current hybrid/still video camera on the market at any price and can even be hacked to record with video resolutions above 3k.... it's called the Panasonic Lumix GH2..... Oh yeah, and it takes stills too!

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
So true. Gee... the $725 K-01 doesn't match the video quality of a $4-15,000 professional video camera, how surprising and disappointing that is :cry:. Ho... has anyone noticed... accidently you can take quality still images with it too It is nice to know that this isn't a pro-video tool, but it certainly can be used as a learning tool for wanting-to-be video producers obviously !

Last edited by pundit; 05-02-2012 at 04:35 PM.
05-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pundit Quote
Yes there is a sub $800 camera that can match (and even exceed) the quality of $4-15,000 professional video cameras when in the right hands. Not only that, it has been for sale for almost two years, has full manual control. It gives full 1080 out of its HDMI port. It has less aliasing and moire than almost any other hybrid camera. It can be configured to record with bitrates up to almost 200mbit/s and can record to an external recorder. Properly captured and graded it can look closer to film than any current hybrid/still video camera on the market at any price and can even be hacked to record with video resolutions above 3k.... it's called the Panasonic Lumix GH2..... Oh yeah, and it takes stills too!
OK, good, then the choice is easy, if video is what you're after, buy the Panasonic GH2 no ?
05-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Inspiring video and displays a great video option for the K-01. I like it and the direction Pentax is going with this camera. Even with the baby brother Q, it has so many cheap lenses. Didn't realize that. At least Pentax is making the effort to grab the video market share.
05-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

This whole ruckus over the K-01 not living up to standards for video, last time I checked, photography forum... pentax... a photography oriented company... I dont go buy a playstation 3 for it's blue ray player, it's awesome that it comes with it... But I didnt buy it for the blue ray bought it for the games, same with the K-01, if you want a video camera buy a video camera, photographers are not shooting stills with a videocamera... If you want to be a serious videographer, I would suggest do what the rest of them do who take it serious and pull out a loan if you cant afford and buy real equipment instead of trying to use a still camera with a video "feature" and complaining it doesnt look like the latest marvel movie...