Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

The Wedding Speech - New HQ K-01 Video + a behind the scenes video

Behind the Scenes video of the video, shot with the K-01 naturally!

The quality of The Wedding Speech is quite good. I'm sure there will be accolades and awards.

04-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Ok, that was great to see someone putting their faith in an entire production into the K-01. How was grading with the footage? I know it's 4:2:0, but wondering if the process was manageable?
As well, would you ever consider using the K-01 for any compositing scenes? Again I know 4:2:0 is a bugger to key, but wondering with some workflow/transcoding tricks if the footage could be used for manageable keys?

Thanks for posting this in the PF, nice to have a breath of fresh air into a space that seems to be crowded with negative vibes (K-01 and video).
04-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Forum Member

Truly amazing

If this is the type of professional work that can be done with the newer PENTAX models then I can see why pentax has increased its lens prices. Still shooting is nothing compared to video. VIDEO is crazy expensive and if they can use a K-01 then really who wouldn't.

Incredible video here truly inspiring.
04-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Wow that is an impressive work. Just looked at it on small scren, but will watch it later on again.

04-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I see- this was a Ricoh/Pentax backed production: sorry for silly little technical questions that would never be answered. I was just excited that maybe this was done by a production company that decided to give the K-01 a whirl on their own, and were happy with the results.

I do feel for the camera operators during some of those dolly shots- having to bend his neck down at odd angles to see what was going on the back of the camera, since there's NO LIVE HDMI output, not even an articulated LCD.
04-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

A lovely video that you'd think would stop the anti K-01'rs dead.. but their heads are stuck in the sand of stupidity
04-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Forum Member

Negativity

People see the negatives because that is what people want to see. They could choose to see the positives like how cool it would be to make films with this small video camera.

04-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
I see- this was a Ricoh/Pentax backed production: sorry for silly little technical questions that would never be answered. I was just excited that maybe this was done by a production company that decided to give the K-01 a whirl on their own, and were happy with the results.

I do feel for the camera operators during some of those dolly shots- having to bend his neck down at odd angles to see what was going on the back of the camera, since there's NO LIVE HDMI output, not even an articulated LCD.
Futuristic Films is a Denver based movie company that Pentax has contracted with several times for previous movies. The cool thing about them is that they seem to use the Pentax cameras for other movies as well, and they don't do it with the huge production costs that what's his name does for Canon. Jasper Gray, a DP at FF, seems to me to be a genuine fan of Pentax cameras (of course if someone gave me free cameras I'd be a fan of them, too, but anyhoo)
04-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Futuristic Films is a Denver based movie company that Pentax has contracted with several times for previous movies. The cool thing about them is that they seem to use the Pentax cameras for other movies as well, and they don't do it with the huge production costs that what's his name does for Canon. Jasper Gray, a DP at FF, seems to me to be a genuine fan of Pentax cameras (of course if someone gave me free cameras I'd be a fan of them, too, but anyhoo)
Urkeldaedalus- I am glad to know that Futuristic Films uses Pentax cameras for their productions- the only reason I posted as I did is that getting any kind of answer in terms of the actual workflow and usage of the K-01 would be very slim, since this was a production that was supported by Pentax and the post here was more of an announcement than anything else. As well, having a sponsorship frees you up in terms of the normal restraints that a production may have to heed.

I'm not in any way saying the K-01 isn't capable- proof is in the pudding. However, with the leisure of a staff on a production that is sponsored, one can get around issues that may otherwise be difficult for a smaller production that has budgetary restraints.
04-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like it. So much of what makes video work or not work in a movie has to do with overall production values (sets, lighting, sound, camera/shot planning and technique) and not with the camera itself. The only thing that a larger sensored camera benefits over a camcorder is for narrow depth of field shots. Still, the K-01 can certainly hold its own in this type of setting.
04-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Still, the K-01 can certainly hold its own in this type of setting.
That is a very good point as well. This type of production was very well suited to the K-01. Would it have fared as well in a situation with heavy post-production/effects requirements, getting a filmesque look, with all on-set audio, not voiced-over? Not sure. I imagine the production company would evaluate it's needs in terms of the equipment to suit the project.

My initial question still stands: from the post-production standpoint, how well did the footage from the K-01 hold up through the process? That's all I want to know, and for real reasons, not to bash the device! I have some lenses that I love, I'm 5 years behind the curve with the 100ds, yet I still love the equipment and have invested (minimally) in the glass. I would love to have a new body that could serve for video productions that I could use the glass with and have footage that was manageable and flexible in different post-production scenarios, since I do not have the resources a production company does. What if a project requires some chroma-key footage work? What if I want to push grading for a particular look? How will the footage hold up?

I know I can do comparatives to other DSLR workflows for post, but given that each camera body has it's own strengths and weaknesses, how flexible, for no-budget productions, would the K-01 be?
04-27-2012, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Hey Virgilr, I know what you're saying. I think Jasper Gray did a workshop where he explained their workflow with the Pentax K-7 but I haven't seen anything of that type yet with the K-01. I'll let you know if I see one of those.
04-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Hey Virgilr, I know what you're saying. I think Jasper Gray did a workshop where he explained their workflow with the Pentax K-7 but I haven't seen anything of that type yet with the K-01. I'll let you know if I see one of those.
Thanks!! I would like to see anything in regards to using Pentax cameras for video work in terms of workflow, post production, etc.

I noted in your sig that you have a K-5: have you done any video projects with it? I know it doesn't have manual exposure controls in video recording, but I have noted that the video container is motion jpeg which is better from a post-production standpoint (no GOP compression at all). I'm also wondering if the footage is 4:2:2 YUV (I know it's 8 bit resolution).
04-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
I'm not in any way saying the K-01 isn't capable- proof is in the pudding. However, with the leisure of a staff on a production that is sponsored, one can get around issues that may otherwise be difficult for a smaller production that has budgetary restraints.
They did some great work on this production. It was, however, limited by budgetary restraints, as are almost all productions. Unfortunately, there is a bit of a dynamic range problem in the footage. I am hoping there will be more dynamic range in video on future Pentax cameras.
05-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #15

Don't be blinded by the story, look at the video quality.

Before some get their knickers in a twist over what is a paid Pentax commercial for the K-01 to showcase its video performance Iets get real for just a minute and put things in perspective. As already stated the above was shot with a professional film crew funded by Pentax to sell the K-01's video performance.

Some will undoubtably fall in love with the 'feel good' story and fail to actually see just how average the video quality is. Yes it isn't particularly good but it is fairly typical of the 'plastic' look that most DSLR/EVF cameras produce including the much vaunted Canon 5D MK2 and even my Pentax K5. The main problem are the use of low bitrate consumer type video compression codecs and limited dynamic range.

I suggest you take a look at the following and just compare the video quality with what you have seen above. Sure the grading is different and is not full of sweet little girls and nice old dogs but...

Filmmaker interview: Gami Orbegoso (creator of Musgo) | Art Of The Story

Watch the trailer in HD though it is only in 1280 x 544.... the full HD version (1920) would look much better.

Trailer

Behind the scenes

This would stand up on a cinema screen.

I hope Pentax's next camera gets the video right because as it stands Pentax is nowhere in the video ballpark IMO.

A big deal is for manfacturers to cease skipping lines in order to downscale the sensor resolution. This alone will dramatically reduce aliasing and moire.

Another is a choice of higher bitrates for better video IQ.

People are being sold on the idea that smaller files sizes are good. They're only good for storage, not for quality. Kids nowdays seem to be obsessed by how many songs they can squeeze onto their portable music players... not whether the quality is any good or not.

With the Ricoh takeover it's now time for Pentax to stop playing catchup or using fashion gimmicks to divert people's attention away from stuff it really should be addressing.

I'm might be a Pentax owner but I'm no fanboy.

Last edited by pundit; 05-01-2012 at 06:22 PM.