Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #1

K-01 battery is hot during use.

Hi,

I've got my camera a few days and just really impressed, the focus is great when compare to my old K10d not to mention the image quality which is just a huge improves. Only a concern is that it's really noticeably hot at the hand grip and my hand sweat after just 5 minutes of shooting. Is this normal for K-01?? Holding a hot hand-grip camera in sweating hand is not a good idea for street photography at all. :-P

04-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is normal and it's something we didn't like either when we reviewed the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, I've read your review a few times and didn't ever notice it because I don't think it will be an annoying issue like this! hehe.
Then I guess I'll have to find some leather case for it.
04-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I noticed to that the batterypack was warm, but didn't notet when having the camera in my hands. On the plus side, the battery is very good and can bring you some hours of fun walking around.

04-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I noticed to that the batterypack was warm, but didn't notet when having the camera in my hands. On the plus side, the battery is very good and can bring you some hours of fun walking around.
I've never noticed this either when shooting.
04-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
It could be that 37c here in Bangkok is too damn hot to go walking. Maybe I will do that again in the winter!
04-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by norm Quote
It could be that 37c here in Bangkok is too damn hot to go walking. Maybe I will do that again in the winter!
Well it wasn't warm last weekend. Looked at camera temperature and it didn't exceed 31 degrees of celsius after being on for an hour or so. Maybe loosing heat is one of the things, but not yet summer overhere.
04-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
Well it wasn't warm last weekend. Looked at camera temperature and it didn't exceed 31 degrees of celsius after being on for an hour or so. Maybe loosing heat is one of the things, but not yet summer overhere.
You should have fun walking around then. Could you please instruct me how to check the camera temperature?

04-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You should have fun walking around then. Could you please instruct me how to check the camera temperature?
install PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor and open an original DNG file from the camera with that program.
04-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I've never noticed this either when shooting.

I've had my Pentax K-01 on from beginning to red battery status (both in studio <rare> and also in the field); and only noticed the battery getting warm. To give an example; it was nowhere near where an iPad 3 would be
04-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #11

Hi,

Only a concern is that it's really noticeably hot at the hand grip and my hand sweat after just 5 minutes of shooting. Is this normal for K-01??
I noticed that too, now and then. In fact, I think the "hot spot" is on the upper right of the back side, especially if you rest the heel of your hand at this place. The battery gets a bit warm but I would guess it's not the battery that makes the back side warm. For if you look at the thread "Inside the K-01" and the rear pictures of the open K-01 on the Japanese web site mentioned there, you will notice a bunch of electronic elements at the middle and upper right (the Prime M?). So, my tentative guess would be that the heat comes mainly from the processor. I usually operate the K-01 with highest image quality settings (RAW+JPEG) and all correction settings on. Maybe this gives the processor quite a high working load.
04-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #12

Original Poster
install PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor and open an original DNG file from the camera with that program.
Thanks! Ron.

QuoteOriginally posted by LimitedFan Quote
I noticed that too, now and then. In fact, I think the "hot spot" is on the upper right of the back side, especially if you rest the heel of your hand at this place. The battery gets a bit warm but I would guess it's not the battery that makes the back side warm. For if you look at the thread "Inside the K-01" and the rear pictures of the open K-01 on the Japanese web site mentioned there, you will notice a bunch of electronic elements at the middle and upper right (the Prime M?). So, my tentative guess would be that the heat comes mainly from the processor. I usually operate the K-01 with highest image quality settings (RAW+JPEG) and all correction settings on. Maybe this gives the processor quite a high working load.
Mine is on the upper right, front and back. Could the aluminum body be suspected? But in term of heat sink for the processor, it's better than the magnesium alloy too.
04-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LimitedFan Quote
I usually operate the K-01 with highest image quality settings (RAW+JPEG) and all correction settings on. Maybe this gives the processor quite a high working load.
That is for sure. I mainly made jpg's when walking around.
04-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #14

A nice feature of the K-01 is that you can use distortion correction and CA adjustment without any noticeable delay (at least in single frame shooting). Maybe heat is the price to pay for speed.