Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #1

picture buffering speed

hello to all pentaxian.

i just bought a k-01 today. this camera is ok, almost as good as my nex 5n. there is one thing that i find annoying is the picture buffering speed; is a bit slow for raw and even jpeg. In fact my sony 5n is more faster that k-01.

any comments? thanks

04-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Well unfortunately I don't have a Sony nex 5n on hand to compare it with, but...

I believe that the screen image (picture buffering speed) is based uopn a few things...

A few of the settings in the photograph; shutter speed and aperature; but mostly the shutter speed. The longer the speed the more of a delay in "processing" it even to the screen. Even iso has an effect on this one. Yes one will notice the different write times based on a lens that has a f1.2 aperature versus a 4.5 or even worse a 5.5

Also the in camera settings; such as bracketing, hrd, etc...

And still dependent upon items lke the shutter speed; is the type of memory card used. I've seen quite a variety in this one on memeory card that have the exact same (claimed) capacities and speed.

Start of with a well lighted subject with the highest possible shutter speed (on most any in camera setting); then compare that with a well lighter indoor pic in evening hours, and even a closed aperature timed exposure.
04-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Following up the previous post, the buffering speed of the Pentax dSLRs is closely linked with (a) the card and its writing speed and (b) any in-camera post-processing.

Get a fast card (eg Sandisk Extreme III Class 10 or faster). It is worth the investment and wwill save you future trouble.

Consider to swith off all in-camera post-processing incl. HDR, lens distortion correction, ... IMHO this is best done on-computer afterwards with dedicated softwares.

Hope that the comment may help...
04-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Following up the previous post, the buffering speed of the Pentax dSLRs is closely linked with (a) the card and its writing speed and (b) any in-camera post-processing.

Get a fast card (eg Sandisk Extreme III Class 10 or faster). It is worth the investment and wwill save you future trouble.

Consider to swith off all in-camera post-processing incl. HDR, lens distortion correction, ... IMHO this is best done on-computer afterwards with dedicated softwares.

Hope that the comment may help...

thanks for your prompt reply, i did switch off all the post process and i also use the same memory card that i use in sony nex5n; and the result is still slow, slower than sony nex5n.

04-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
ogl
Pentaxian

1 fps mode with very small buffer size in DNG - it's truth.
3 fps JPEG mode is unlimited.
6 fps JPEG mode is 5-6 JPEG buffer
04-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
1 fps mode with very small buffer size in DNG - it's truth.
We observed no buffer limit with a class 10 32Gb card when we reviewed the camera.

Overall, the K-01 is very responsive, but if you don't turn off lens correction or have a card slower than class 10, then you might not experience its smoothness. It's a shame that they're limited its JPEG buffer so significantly at 6FPS, but that's do be expected, as I'm sure Pentax is saving this feature for the K-5's successor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had SanDisk PRO card 45MB/s in the K-01 and it was possible to keep shooting jpg in ** (two star) quality for unlimited numbers. The three star did slow down after a while. Maybe that the new cards from SanDisk with up 90 MB/s write will do the hole stretch.

Maybe that lenscorrections are slowing down, didn't pay attention to that.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 04-28-2012 at 02:34 PM.
04-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I has SanDisk PRO card 45MB/s in the K-01 and it was possible to keep shooting jpg in ** (two star) quality for unlimited numbers. The three star did slow down after a while. Maybe that the new cards from SanDisk with up 90 MB/s write will do the hole stretch.

Maybe that lenscorrections are slowing down, didn't pay attention to that.
What about RAW, is it really 1fps?

04-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
What about RAW, is it really 1fps?
Didn't do messuring, but it is a slow sequence. So this is not something that is coming from the hardware limitations, but something that is coming from software limitations. They planned 1 fps in it I guess, and I wouldn't make that choice.

I have no idea to what max speed the PRIME M processor can handle RAW images, process them and store them.

When the PRIME II processor can handle about 1.2 fps in RAW then my guess is that going from 14-bit to 12-bit RAW and from PRIME II to PRIME M then the K-01 should have absolutely no problem handling RAW images at 2 fps. Still not fast, but twice the speed already, so it can't be a hardware limitation.
04-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
... but if you turn off lens correction or have a card slower than class 10, then you might not experience its smoothness...
I suspect that Adam meant " if you turn ON lens correction ... then you might not experience its smoothness".

The in-camera lens distortion correction feature is fairly slow and uses a lot of processing time.
04-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup- corrected. It would be nice if in-camera processing could be sped up.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #12

Original Poster
i really like my k01. Its high iso is better than my nex5n but the picture buffering speed is disapointment.
04-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Didn't do messuring, but it is a slow sequence. So this is not something that is coming from the hardware limitations, but something that is coming from software limitations. They planned 1 fps in it I guess, and I wouldn't make that choice.

I have no idea to what max speed the PRIME M processor can handle RAW images, process them and store them.

When the PRIME II processor can handle about 1.2 fps in RAW then my guess is that going from 14-bit to 12-bit RAW and from PRIME II to PRIME M then the K-01 should have absolutely no problem handling RAW images at 2 fps. Still not fast, but twice the speed already, so it can't be a hardware limitation.
Who say that the Prime-m is faster then the Prime II ?
I'm actually thinking they are using processor close to the one inside the Q, it seems to have the same performances.

Also where do you get 1.2fps from?
The new version of the processor pentax used for the Prime I & II can do 6 frames continuously according to the specs, so 2fps is not even close then.

Last edited by Anvh; 04-28-2012 at 05:47 PM.
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
ogl
Pentaxian

I'm actually thinking they are using processor close to the one inside the Q, it seems to have the same performances.

The new version of the processor pentax used for the Prime I & II can do 6 frames continuously according to the specs, so 2fps is not even close then.
All Russian users of K-01 can shoot only with ~1 fps speed in DNG (not even ~ 2 fps). Everybody say about it at Russian penta-forum.
04-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Well you clearly have no idea where you are talking about!

The 1.2fps from K-5 is the speed once the buffer is full.

I don't have Q, but that clearly has a total different way of processing, not up to the challenge that PRIME II or PRIME M can handle.

The 2 fps is not saying that is a limitation to the processor performance, but that is a number where the processor should have no problem at all handling. The 6fps you mention is the speed that the sensor can give output to the rest of the camera system. Once again I try to make you understand that the speed of the camera is something that is never faster then the slowest part in the system, from sensor to memorycard. All other statements about being faster is just in theorie, when all parts are capable of handling that speed.

The 1 fps DNG RAW from K-01 is in my vision a software limitation, a choice that Pentax made for K-01. I hope they will make it faster with a firmware update. Making it work in Hi-speed mode (but with a small buffer that wouldn't make a long serie) or with a different speed in Lo-speed mode. My guess is that it probably can keep shooting with the fastest card up to 3 fps until the card is full. I think that Pentax knows wich number is the right one for K-01 (wheater that is 2fps, or 2.7fps or maybe even 3.2fps) and should make it work at it's max speed.

PRIME M is clearly more capable in handling the camera then PRIME II in K-5 is. You can see that from very different things like RAW-developing, play-back, formatting, speed of handling jpg in shootingmode, developing with filters. But then again, you can't know because you never had K-01 in your hands.