Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Focus on the K-01

I'm really loving my K-01 but finding that the focus for macro a little confusing. I'm using the 35mm Macro Ltd and switching between manual and af. I find that the af hardly ever focuses where I wanted it to, even if I stop down and use f8 which I assume would leave a bit of leeway regarding depth of field. I've set it up to use moveable focus spot but yesterday I tried using the single spot as the focus square seems to be a bit smaller. I don't think this has made much difference though. Any suggestions apart from using manual all the time?

04-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For macro, you pretty much have to use manual focus until you're at least in the ball park. For this particular application, CDAF is worse than PDAF as the camera has to do some guesswork, and the lens throw is really long at high magnifications. I would just ditch AF entirely and use focus peaking.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Adam's advice applies to pretty much any camera that gives you manual focus as an option.

I would think focus peaking would be especially effective with macro shooting, much as I have found that my fastest lenses work especially well with focus peaking compared to the viewfinder.

JNR