Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Does K-01 sensor overheat?

When I got K-5 I was looking something to use for video as well. I found that the main limitation with it is sensor overheating along the lack of manual controls.
So K-01 offers full manual control but I do not want to buy another Pentax to find that I can not shoot video. I know all about Lumix GH2 so lets leave this out of discussion.
And I know there is a question posted here but no answer given. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/173765-k-01-next-cult-video-camera-23.html

So I hope to get clear answe to this:

Does Pentax K-01 sensor overheat? Has anybody experienced this so far?

BTW BlackMagic camera will be out of my price range however tempting it looks.

05-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had never heard of a BlackMagic camera but after googling it all I can say is... Wow!
05-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
Banned

There are several heat sensors built into the Pentax K-01 that would in fact shut it of well before damage occured.

I've taken in excess of 2k still pics; and along with a friend have also taken many hours of video - even in above average heat and humidity. Have so far never run into the shut down - nor has th esensor ever been effected.

Also noting relating to possible heat issues... I've had the camera taking still pics continually from full battery to red status - never any issues; even with built in color correcting flash for over fifty of those images.

But what I have personally noticed in the past... Never leave a digital camera in any part of a vehicle - even if it is only some eighty degrees outside. Now that will effect the sensor - and also effect the display for a bit of time. For those that live in places like Vegas; this can even cause electrical issues with most any camera
05-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks!
I am asking about overheating while shooting video. Not about leaving it baking on sunlight.
Namely my K-5 will allow about 2-3 sets of 2gb(5min full HD) back-to-back recordings before giving a warning sign. After that it needs to left alone for 5-10min lens taken off for cooling. This issue has beed discussed many times and I have used all the tricks. There are too many situations where this problem makes K-5 useless.

05-02-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Banned

Although it was not back to back video - over one half hour of video over about two hours. No sensor issues at all - at 85 degrees in direct sunlight.
05-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by vanakaru Quote
Thanks!
I am asking about overheating while shooting video. Not about leaving it baking on sunlight.
Namely my K-5 will allow about 2-3 sets of 2gb(5min full HD) back-to-back recordings before giving a warning sign. After that it needs to left alone for 5-10min lens taken off for cooling. This issue has beed discussed many times and I have used all the tricks. There are too many situations where this problem makes K-5 useless.
Yeah, that's why i film only in 720p with the k-5, it doesn't overheat that fast. Now i just ignore the warning sign, it never turned off by itself (but i do, turning it off between shots).
i do often film more than 25g of rushes in one session in 720p and it seems to be ok. Sometimes i wonder if the heat warning sign is accurate...
05-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
OK! But what about K-01 then? Lets try to get some feedback on it.

05-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I shot video (about 3-4 hours total) this weekend and never had it overheat. I had the camera on a tripod at the corner of an event and just had it roll video 20 minutes at a time (the limit for one clip). When it got close to 20 minutes, I ended the clip and started another. Once it was running, I was walking around taking pictures with my K5. I never noticed the K-01 even feeling especially warm, so I guess they've solved that problem.

In comparison, I was shooting a series of shots with my K5 in Liveview (it was on a tripod as I took shots of the K-01 with a variety of lenses in a variety of angles). Total time was around 45 minutes, and I had the K5 give me a heat warning during that time, so I took it off Liveview and just used the viewfinder.
05-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have had the k-01 only a few days, but it DOES seem to get WARM after only a few shots
i can not comment on other pentax dslr's, (all my previous pentax experience is with 35mm SLR film cameras) but my canon dslr does not warm up like this
maybe vanakaru and i have got duds
05-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would spend some time reading the threads in the K-01 sub-forum if you haven't already. Your camera will warn you on the LCD if the sensor is near overheating. Mine gets warm to the touch on the base but has never been unpleasantly hot. I imagine sensor heating is associated with long periods shooting video, which I don't do.

As to the stuck lens on the other thread - never heard of the brand, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the K-mount or any particular QC issues reported yet with faulty individual mounts. There are a few legacy third-party lenses manufactured with a pin that unfortunately falls into the later AF screw drive recess. If you ahve one of those, use an automotive feeler gauge slipped between the lens and body mounts to push the pin back up. Your lens will then turn.
05-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #11

thanks
i will get a set of new feeler gauges tomorrow, and try it on the 'stuck' lens