Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Please tell us how yours works in the Outback at high noon.
Haha! Touche!

05-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
The staff at Digidirect seemed to be really uninterested in Pentaxes. If I get a K-01 I'll get it somewhere else, even if I have to pay a little more to do so.
I'm looking for work in a Sydney camera store/section so maybe I should try there and get in some Pentax representation!
05-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Nice title.

I personally don't think the K-01 isn't the most attractive-looking camera, but I would really like to see one in person and try it out... who knows, maybe I'll end up liking it?
Thanks As many have said and I will add, the K-01 looks AND feels heaps better in person

The yellow in particular looks better, I wish I could change the panels from yellow to another colour depending on my mood (others maybe by outfit!).
In perpscetive I don't have huge hands but not small either, K7K5 is just right for me and it was good, you hold more with fingers than with the palm which explains some of the button placements.
05-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
The yellow in particular looks better, I wish I could change the panels from yellow to another colour depending on my mood (others maybe by outfit!).
I'm amazed Pentax didn't learn from what made Nokia grow huge - the 5510 was the first phone with interchangeable covers and people bought it in droves and it sold for years.

It would have been easy for Pentax to make the K-01 colour panels user-changeable. Look at the incredible range of iPhone covers and you can imagine what sort of covers photographers would be producing for the K-01 a few weeks later.

05-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeAusP Quote
I'm amazed Pentax didn't learn from what made Nokia grow huge - the 5510 was the first phone with interchangeable covers and people bought it in droves and it sold for years.

It would have been easy for Pentax to make the K-01 colour panels user-changeable. Look at the incredible range of iPhone covers and you can imagine what sort of covers photographers would be producing for the K-01 a few weeks later.
They did do it......with the Optio of course but it looks like the Kr replacement may have some version of this.
05-02-2012, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Sandy, how easy is it to use with the DA55-300 in sunlight?
I haven’t had any trouble. The secret is to hold the camera as close as your vision will allow and support the lens properly with your left hand. As others have said, a wide-brimmed hat helps. I found achieving accurate manual focus on a long lens tricky without support but the AF gets there eventually.

Here’s a shot taken with the DA 55-300 at not quite full zoom at the Hawk Conservancy in bright sunshine. There are some more taken with this lens in my Album.

05-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

@monochrome and @Alfred Thanks, still considering, but will most probably wait till the new stuff arrives before I decide.

05-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfred Quote
The secret is to hold the camera as close as your vision will allow and support the lens properly with your left hand. As others have said, a wide-brimmed hat helps. I found achieving accurate manual focus on a long lens tricky without support but the AF gets there eventually.
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
@monochrome and @Alfred Thanks, still considering, but will most probably wait till the new stuff arrives before I decide.
If you do get one Alfred's observations are the most important considerations, adding cradle with the left palm as you would a film SLR. My experience is a K135 balances and focuses quite productively. K200 is a challenge, but doable in a pinch - but that's why I have a K10D.

I don't use a tack hammer to drive deck nails, either.
05-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Recommended technique to use a big lens with K-01:
Attached Images

05-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Haha ... I have to get myself a camera caddy with that lens!
05-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
05-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #27
Inactive Account

How's the battery life on your K-01? Are you able to get 500 shots off one charge as per the spec on snapsort.com/cameras/Pentax+K-01-specs ?
05-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #28
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's a quick shot with K-01 and 55-300, autofocus. I like the center spot for autofocus, and you can tell I used it here. I think the K-01 likes the 55-300 a lot. Alfred's pic shows what a bargain this lens is--great shot! The 55-300 is a wonderful zoo lens! And now it works on my Bumblebee (yellow K-01) better than the 18-55WR! My other fave lens, the 16-45, works nicely on the K-01 too. This camera is doing all I hoped for and more; updating my K20D with high ISO, HDR, HD video, post-processing, lens correction and focus peaking
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
05-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi Quote
Here's a quick shot with K-01 and 55-300 . . .
Very nice!!

My 55~300 excels outdoors in good light. Paired w/ the K-01 sensor and a bit of Ev Comp it can be very, very good.
05-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by infobuyer72 Quote
How's the battery life on your K-01? Are you able to get 500 shots off one charge as per the spec on snapsort.com/cameras/Pentax+K-01-specs ?

It depends on a number of factors.

1. File formats; whether its just jpeg or all the way to raw+jpeg.
2. Shutter speeds and in camera processing time; the longer the exposure the longer the processing time.
3. Other in camera processing items - such as lens correction.
4. Built in (eerrr) flash settings.
5. The lens on the camera and the open most aperature -shich can cause the camera the need to look a bit more for focus.
6. How long the screen remains on.
7. Using items such as electronic sensor cleaning.

...And many others.

I've easily gotten in excess of some four hundred pics per charge.

Also wishing that Pentax (officially) had battery adapters and also even a battery grip. The grip might even get two birds with one stone; adding grip and form to the K-01 and aso much more power options.