Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #31
Forum Member

I was a hater of the K-01 when I first seen it here on the site I even said a few things I now regret (sorry Mark Newton)
I bought a Q shortly after seeing the K-01 on the form thinking the K-01 wasn't for me at all, BUT now that I have been shooting with the Q for a few months and really enjoy using it I miss the IQ of my K5.
I when to my camera store looked at the k01 there are a few things I still don't like about it (the cheep rubber doors and no WR) The things I do like have got me thinking. Smaller than K5 better IQ than the Q I don't miss having a VF at all on the Q live view on the K5 just not the same anymore. So Iv been thinking about selling my K5 and getting a K01. OH it just came to me as i was writhing this, sell both the K5 and Q get a K01 and a 300mm lens or the DA*55mm. Funny how I always want a new camera why is that? I hated it at first but know I kind of like it, I may need help lol.

05-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I was REALLY thinking about getting the K-5 until the K-01. Is the K-01 close to the K-5 image wise?
Thanks as always,
Ray
05-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I was REALLY thinking about getting the K-5 until the K-01. Is the K-01 close to the K-5 image wise?
Very much so. The most determined pixel-peeper would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

There are of course important differences in features, the importance of which will vary from user to user. I use them both for different things and find they compliment each other very well.
Compare carefully and think about what really matters to you before you commit.
05-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Very much so. The most determined pixel-peeper would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

There are of course important differences in features, the importance of which will vary from user to user. I use them both for different things and find they compliment each other very well.
Compare carefully and think about what really matters to you before you commit.
Thanks Sandy!

I don't "think" I would use all the features on the K-5 (I currently own a K-20 and will keep it) but I might just miss using the OVF, I don't know if I can get past that feature.

Ray

05-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #35
Site Supporter

The K-5 wins hands down for sports and concerts. It handles big lenses much better, and the high speed burst shooting is great.
On the other hand, I love the size and ease of use of the the K-01 as a walk around with limited primes.
05-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #36
Forum Member

Ray once you get use to not using an OVF youll never want to go back. (I do live in a place where it is cloudy 98% of the time tho) but I really dont miss the OVF stye of shooting now that Im use to the Qs live view. Live view on a mirroles camera is much better to use then on a SLR. Just wish the pentax view screens would tilt.
05-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #37
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Very nice!!

My 55~300 excels outdoors in good light. Paired w/ the K-01 sensor and a bit of Ev Comp it can be very, very good.
Thanks, Mono--and maxing the bright of the LCD solves 99% of the "can't see it" problem.
05-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #38
Veteran Member

What a great Ad slogan that would make ! It has a sensual ring to it ... I touched a K-01..... and I like it ! Designed by Mark Newson ...

05-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its from a Katy Perry Song....I kissed a girl and I liked it (her being a girl and all) any creative types free to do a mock pentax ad from that video! ;p
05-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
The staff at Digidirect seemed to be really uninterested in Pentaxes. If I get a K-01 I'll get it somewhere else, even if I have to pay a little more to do so.
I did a similar thing at DCW in melbourne, and had quite the opposite response. They guy was really enthusiastic was really interested in Pentax in general.

I also got him to pull the K-01 out of the cabinet so I could have a fiddle.

My initial impressions:
-I was surprised how light it was, everyone had been saying 'it's so heavy' so I was expecting heavy. (with DA 40 XS - this lens is just something else..)
-ergonomics as far as button placement it was 'OK' That green button (is it stop down metering?) was the only one I had trouble with. So depending on what it does it would determine if it was going to be problematic.
-Body felt a little bit plastic, I am not sure if it was the texture they have on it of the actual material that gave me that impression.
-I did the dreaded thing of trying to look through the view finder...That wasn't there! Yeah ok I looked like an idiot in store lol

I don't think I will end up buying one, but I think it has got it's place in the market.
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Its from a Katy Perry Song....I kissed a girl and I liked it
She only sang Church music before that apparently.
05-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
-I did the dreaded thing of trying to look through the view finder...That wasn't there! Yeah ok I looked like an idiot in store lol
Me too! You arn't alone, old habits die hard. I have bought both my Pentax bodies from DCW and they gave me a discount on a battery as I had shopped before
Awesome!
05-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #43
Veteran Member

You guys inspired me to go down to digidirect in Sydney CBD to look at one. Actually feels good to use. Showed the salesguy how to operate the peaking focus. Manual focus with the 40mm XS is not bad at all. Didnt miss the OVF at all, the EVF is pretty good and easy to use.

Took a friend along who is not really into cameras. He liked the look of the K-01.

Next we saw and handled the Fuji X-Pro1. My friend asked me why they would make a new camera that looked like something you would get at Cash Converters. Had to agree. LOL.

There you have it guys, the K-01 makes all the other mirrorless cameras look butt ugly! Real game changer from Pentax Ricoh. This camera is going to appeal to the young hip crowd, turn heads and get the Pentax name out to the new generations!
05-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
!

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
You guys inspired me to go down to digidirect in Sydney CBD to look at one. Actually feels good to use. Showed the salesguy how to operate the peaking focus. Manual focus with the 40mm XS is not bad at all. Didnt miss the OVF at all, the EVF is pretty good and easy to use.

Took a friend along who is not really into cameras. He liked the look of the K-01.

Next we saw and handled the Fuji X-Pro1. My friend asked me why they would make a new camera that looked like something you would get at Cash Converters. Had to agree. LOL.

There you have it guys, the K-01 makes all the other mirrorless cameras look butt ugly! Real game changer from Pentax Ricoh. This camera is going to appeal to the young hip crowd, turn heads and get the Pentax name out to the new generations!
Its working! Its working! Digidirect must be wondering who all these people touching the K-01 are?!

BTW Has anyone seen a 40 XS for sale anywhere? I want one for my Birthday!
05-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #45
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
BTW Has anyone seen a 40 XS for sale anywhere? I want one for my Birthday!

So far only in kits; such as the one lens' kit with the K-01; or the silver edition K-5 - although not available (yet) in North america.

I purchased my K-01 with the 40mm XS for the additional one hundred. No joke I've already been offered four times that much for the lens. It should most likely be available later this month, possibly next month - although there's probably still a bit of a waiting line for it.

It's quite close optically to the former version, but smaller in size. Also unfortunately a smaller front element and also filter size - the locating availability of the smaller filters can be inconvenient to say the least