Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
So far only in kits; such as the one lens' kit with the K-01; or the silver edition K-5 - although not available (yet) in North america.

I purchased my K-01 with the 40mm XS for the additional one hundred. No joke I've already been offered four times that much for the lens. It should most likely be available later this month, possibly next month - although there's probably still a bit of a waiting line for it.

It's quite close optically to the former version, but smaller in size. Also unfortunately a smaller front element and also filter size - the locating availability of the smaller filters can be inconvenient to say the least
Needs to be avail before 19th June! (Birthday).

Seriously have been considering a DA40 for its quick shift, but this lens is basically a body cap, I like how it is totally flat on the front so it doesn't snap on straps and/or a bag.

05-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a back-up birthday plan I can speak very highly of the 40 Ltd, which I bought with the K-01 Body-only. Minus the filter ring / hood assembly it is nearly as thin as the XS and constructed to a very high standard.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-12-2012 at 10:46 AM.
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #48
Veteran Member

its onlly an extra 55 bucks with the body, if its the same as the da40 its a steal.
05-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #49
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pity I can't stretch to a body, if I get a job before then I will probably re-petition for a Pentax Q But then thats another thread!
Seriously a 40 XS on our Kx would be very K-01 like in size and a good foil for my FA31

05-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #50
Veteran Member

The Aussie dollar just fell below parity with the greenback. If you bought the combo and sold the body unused, considering the K-01 is selling about a $100 cheaper in Aus, you might end up with a cheap 40XS. Is the 40XS useable on a mirrorfull body?
05-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #51
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The Aussie dollar just fell below parity with the greenback. If you bought the combo and sold the body unused, considering the K-01 is selling about a $100 cheaper in Aus, you might end up with a cheap 40XS. Is the 40XS useable on a mirrorfull body?
Yes, Yes it is

Apparently it isn't as FF compatible as the DA 40 ltd but the crop is a weird angle of view anyway. Update- B and H have a preorder at $249 US so I might just get something else untill I grab a K-01
05-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The 40XS is usable on a DSLR/SLR. I'm using it with my K5.

Frank here has posted film shots with the 40XS, so its able to cover FF.

05-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Yes, Yes it is

Apparently it isn't as FF compatible as the DA 40 ltd but the crop is a weird angle of view anyway. Update- B and H have a preorder at $249 US so I might just get something else untill I grab a K-01
nice, I just sold mine for $275 on the bay... It's a really nice lens, I loved it for the couple seconds I touched it and made sure it worked before I sold it, but I could not justify keeping it when I have a 40mm sl2 ultron... And even still I'd go for the 40mm DA, never used it but it has an all metal construction the XS does not, it's a light plastic...
05-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #54

Does anyone actually take pictures here?
Get a life guys.
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sergei Quote
Does anyone actually take pictures here?
Get a life guys.
Surprisingly yes. 13,300+ in the last 14 Months lol.
05-20-2012, 04:32 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Surprisingly yes. 13,300+ in the last 14 Months lol.

So Scott, lets see some shots of Melbourne,
here's a couple from this morning, K-01, I touched it, I liked it, and I actually shoot with it.
2nd shot is stitched pano from 3 shots.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by Sergei; 05-06-2014 at 05:25 PM.
05-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #57
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good on you Sergi, colour us jealous, how do you find the AF on th K-01? Or do you use it as a MF platform?
I take plenty of photos too - mainly of people who haven't been asked if ok to put onto the forum .
I thought a thread to illustrate K-01 was in fact nice to hold and look at INPERSON was in order against all the other comment of others who see to have only seen pictures of it.
Also as a Pentax user it excites me that there is new products and I do see these products in my future when I do more paid shooting and can 'then' afford them. As I need to save the knowledge of future cameras/gear coming out is important to me AND interests me as I am a tech-head by nature, I can be both right? ;p
Also I often ask around for Sydney siders to go out shooting but get little response so maybe next time perhaps?
Anyhow thanks for the input.
05-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sergei Quote
So Scott, lets see some shots of Melbourne,
here's a couple from this morning, K-01, I touched it, I liked it, and I actually shoot with it.
2nd shot is stitched pano from 3 shots.
You can see the single in April challenge for some that I've posted on PF I son't have a k-01 so this section isn't the right place, alternatively for a looksy at all shot posted online check our my Flickr account.

By the way that's a nice take on the harbour bridge.
05-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
You can see the single in April challenge for some that I've posted on PF I son't have a k-01 so this section isn't the right place, alternatively for a looksy at all shot posted online check our my Flickr account.

By the way that's a nice take on the harbour bridge.

Thanks mate, I find myself returning to that spot often, the time of day and therefore light,
always presents a fresh vista.
05-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Good on you Sergi, colour us jealous, how do you find the AF on th K-01? Or do you use it as a MF platform?
I take plenty of photos too - mainly of people who haven't been asked if ok to put onto the forum .
I thought a thread to illustrate K-01 was in fact nice to hold and look at INPERSON was in order against all the other comment of others who see to have only seen pictures of it.
Also as a Pentax user it excites me that there is new products and I do see these products in my future when I do more paid shooting and can 'then' afford them. As I need to save the knowledge of future cameras/gear coming out is important to me AND interests me as I am a tech-head by nature, I can be both right? ;p
Also I often ask around for Sydney siders to go out shooting but get little response so maybe next time perhaps?
Anyhow thanks for the input.
To answer your question (Tonto?)
I find the focus a right pain in the A.... especially for candids of people such as you said you like to shoot.
I also find holding it at arms length is a lot harder with slow shutter speeds, especially big lenses, the LCD
is hard to see in bright light, needs at least a swivel screen.

I'm selling it after 3 weeks, as much as I love the IQ and feature set, the design lets it down IMHO, nuff said.

Peace