Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 01:20 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Inactive Account

I touched a K-01 and I liked it!

Sorry Katy Perry for the song rip off.........I gave one a play and colour me impressed, very compact compared with my K7 I had with me. Very tactile, pretty speedy focus too, I tried it with the Sigma 17-70 I had with me (non HSM) and was pretty quick.
Yellow looked pretty cool in person, better than shots suggest. I later saw the Black model with Silver trim and that looked awesome! :ugh:
I flipped off the 40 XS and put it on my K7 and I love that too! MF was tricky but easier than expected. I touched a Pentax Q also elsewhere but I'll post that separately.
By the way I saw the K-01 in Georges Photo, George Street Sydney for locals that are interested.
I had a wee chat to what seemed like the duty manager who admitted he didn't know much about the Pentax range and marveled at the tiny lens and feel/look. He liked it, I told him it was great for a person who wanted the IQof a higher end SLR (K5,D7000) with out the bulk and price.
I talked about how they maybe abit more appealing to have in stock now the pricing overseas was becoming equalised. He said this was great news as they were often shopped against online prices in the US often which is often why they recommended Canon more due to their price protection.
So there you go!

05-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL the title alone was worth the read
Glad to see you liked the K-01. I haven't touched one yet, though something tells me I won't like it anyways. Not because its ugly or anything but because I need to avoid buying anything expensive until the K-3 is announced.
05-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been touching mine for a month. The haters need to do it too.
It's a bloody good camera.
05-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too had the chance to play with one today (Croydon Camera House, where I'm known as 'the Pentax guy'...) I didnt think I'd like it...but...

Love the focus peaking, love the 40xs. It felt ok-ish in the hand, nowhere near as sculpted to fit like a k-7 or k-5, but not bad. Didnt get to put a bigger lens on it, so I cannot comment on the balance. All in all a pretty good package for around $900. CCH are not the cheapest retailers around.

I also got to play with a Olympus OM-D with a 45 F1.8.....yummm. Its a good thing I'm gear wedded to the K mount.

05-01-2012, 03:49 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have been touching mine for a month.
Well, you'd best stop now before you go blind!
05-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Making me think it might be a good compact replacement for a K-x or K-r...
Quite appealing as it has the functionality of a K-r but the size of a compact.
05-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

As it happens, I had a brief play with the K-01, Olympus OM5, and Fuji X-Pro1 today at Digidirect in Sydney. My observations:
  • The K-01 feels good in the hand. It seems to encourage a light "finger tip" grip in the right hand, supported by the left underneath.
  • AF speed seems quite OK
  • Contrary what Kai at DigitalRev would have us believe, the green button is easy to reach, because you don't really grip it in the palm of your hand.
  • The biggest downer for me was that the icons in the LCD looked cheesy, like a mobile phone from five years ago. This may sound trivial, but first impressions count.
  • I liked the OM5. It's small, but feels well built and purposeful. Would definitely recommend it to others, especially since DPReview has given it such a glowing endorsement.
  • I didn't like holding the XPro1 at all -- it feels like a clunky scientific device, like one of those big old Texas calculators.
  • But the XPro1 viewfinder is very nice!

05-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I saw the xpro1 and OM5 too today but thought I would just tire kick the Pentaxs as I had no money, also made it abit intriguing only asking to see the Pentax with those other two around!
05-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The staff at Digidirect seemed to be really uninterested in Pentaxes. If I get a K-01 I'll get it somewhere else, even if I have to pay a little more to do so.
05-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have been touching mine for a month. The haters need to do it too.
It's a bloody good camera.
Sandy, how easy is it to use with the DA55-300 in sunlight?
05-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Sandy, how easy is it to use with the DA55-300 in sunlight?
Not any problem at all. Did it just this past weekend. At one point at 270mm I bumped Ev Comp and the LCD brightened significantly. DK if that might serve as a sunlight workaround.

I'm over 1000 clicks and never ever had a sunlight problem.
05-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use it mostly with primes, but I did use the DA55-300 a bit at Iguazu Falls a month ago. No problem.

I usually wear a wide brimmed hat when shooting outdoors anyway, and I'm sure this helps. I hold the camera quite close to my eye when shooting anyway - too close for my presbyopic eyes to focus but that doesn't stop me from framing accurately; as I have learned from archery - a blurry thing in the middle is still in the middle.
05-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice title.

I personally don't think the K-01 isn't the most attractive-looking camera, but I would really like to see one in person and try it out... who knows, maybe I'll end up liking it?
05-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm over 1000 clicks and never ever had a sunlight problem.
Perhaps you are using it in the Arctic circle in winter?
05-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Perhaps you are using it in the Arctic circle in winter?
Please tell us how yours works in the Outback at high noon.

Mine:
  • Wide-brimmed hat
  • LCD on brightest setting
  • Focus Peaking on
  • AF or MF as dictated by lens.
  • Held cradled in the left hand
  • Quite close to my face, not at arms' length
I have what amounts to a 3" viewfinder that previews what the sensor will actually capture. And I like the way it looks. I really haven't ever been in a situation where I couldn't frame and focus.

I conclude that most objections are made by people who don't own a K-01.