Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do you think they pitched the idea of K-01 to Pentax High Command?

I wonder if one day will see the powerpoint slides they used to convince the decision makers.

05-01-2012, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it was a combination of 'Everyone wants mirrorless for some reason!' and 'Don't you dare ditch the K-mount, as if you could anyway.'
05-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a clue, but I'm sure glad they did.
05-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think it was a combination of 'Everyone wants mirrorless for some reason!' and 'Don't you dare ditch the K-mount, as if you could anyway.'
That is reasonable...just that i dont get how they convinced the decison makers that it had to be so fashionable that it would be less user friendly then the colorful Kr. Personally its like a pimped out Holga.

05-01-2012, 12:27 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Personally its like a pimped out Holga.
I've never owned a K-r so I can't offer counter-argument there. I personally am intrigued by the visual design. I like it. It makes me smile. The damned thing is fun to use. Focus Peaking works. LCD in sunlight works just fine (contrary to those who say it can't work but haven't tried it).

I've made over 1000 clicks and I've yet to try to make it do something it won't do. I can use every one of my lenses, up to and including a 1 Kilo K200/2.5. It produces really wonderful images.

Those would be some of the slides in my PowerPoint. What's not to like?
05-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think it is pretty simple, Hoya knew they needed a mirrorless for K mount, they knew they needed to be different since they wouldn't have the small size so they went hunting, meanwhile a lot of tech was being developed for the KR replacement (long overdue now) so they put it together. Low cost (aside from designer fees) as everything in the camera was likely already being developed for the new prime engine. It opened up a new market with out them investing a lot (in fact aside from the design they invested nothing since they knew the company was sold they left it for ricoh to market)
It's a funky camera, not for everyone definitely but it does seem to have a niches being carved out (to bad about a couple of the video limitations or it could be very popular)
Like the Q I think it's taking time to find it's market, but it does appear to be having some success (except of course with the people who wanted another Sony but with the Pentax name on it - personally i'm glad they didn't take the me too road, it would have got very little press, the K-01 OTOH has gotten loads of press both good and bad, more importantly it seems to have gotten traction in markets most of us have no connection to. In other words it's not an enthusiast MILC - that one of course will come later there being more critical things to get out first like oh say a DSLR line
05-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Regardless of why they did it, it was a success. Not as big sas one would have hoped, but certainly a great product that's bringing in revenue for future developments.

05-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That is reasonable...just that i dont get how they convinced the decison makers that it had to be so fashionable that it would be less user friendly then the colorful Kr. Personally its like a pimped out Holga.

Designers tend to be convinced that people want the minimum of controls possible. It's about the interface between philosophy and reality and sales. And the fact that people really are intimidated by too many controls. I always end up explaining to people who get intimidated at the controls, "If you don't know what these buttons are for, you don't need them. If you do, it's actually much simpler to have a button for every job."

In the digital medium, if they had sliders like an 80's equalizer for colors and sensitivity, I'd use em. By feel. Ask em to sell *that,* though.
05-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Regardless of why they did it, it was a success. Not as big sas one would have hoped, but certainly a great product that's bringing in revenue for future developments.
I'm happy you classify it a success. From a single-user perspective it is a success in that it does what I want it to do, it uses my lenses well (easier for me than a dSLR), it produces great images (at my skill level) and I'm having fun. Sure, I want a dSLR with all the new stuff to replace my K10D (which still produces the best low ISO images) and I'll probably get a K-5 before they're all gone.

Where Pentax could have done better is by telling us for whom the K-01 is intended and thus not experiencing the vitriol of the disappointed.
05-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well I dropped in my favourite shop and he's pretty skimpy on Pentax stock, apparently he has had trouble getting stock and doesn't expect good inventory again until august (nikon has been equally bad on bodies BTW...he only managed to get 2 bodies for nikon last month.
05-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

How do you think they pitched the idea of K-01 to Pentax High Command?
I can't help but think that Marc Newson is the President of Hoya's brother in law. The K-01 smacks of nepotism.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 05-01-2012 at 06:57 PM.
05-01-2012, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I was thinking they told the High Command......"You guys, smoke some of this, we have something to show you"

Regards!
05-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

"You know the Saab automobile, right? Well, it's like that, but with a camera."
05-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Take the K-5, lop off the expensive parts (mag body, weatherproofing, mirror, PDAF, many calibration and test steps, metering sensor, prism). Charge a similar price.

Easy to sell.
05-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Decisions like the K-01 are usually made top down: Somebody in Ricoh High Command said we need a body designed by a fashion designer, and its got to take Pentax Limiteds. Then that somebody hired Newson, who did a wireframe of his concept, the poor long suffering Pentax engineers, would have had to stuff the innards in any way they could.