Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-01 excellent RAW Chroma NR

I'm not sure if this was discussed here yet but I went to look at dpreview's preview on the K-01's ISO performance. I didn't bother looking at the jpeg but I did look at the RAW ISO instead. I say I'm impressed with the RAW NR at HIGH ISO and somehow looked better than the D700 at 3200-12800 without sacrificing or smearing off detail. this considering that the K-5 slightly lags behind the D700 with noise performance. although the chroma noise removal is impressive, I did however noticed some form of possible sharpening pattern on areas where chroma noise would had been from the K-5 and other cameras. although I would say that I'm very pleased of possibly shooting larger images at 12800 or lowlight shots.

05-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

I am amused (but not surprised) how quickly the usual suspects on that site had to find something to say to combat the report (i.e. the photos are too perfect looking or that there's some high ISO RAW noise reduction.)

I am not sure what the facts are behind those claims, but I suspect that kind of thing will matter more to the person who likes to analyze what is behind taking photos vs. the person who just likes taking the best quality photos possible. The K-01 is not a perfect camera but it can certainly hold its own when paired with a person who can use it to its advantages.
05-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapshot Atlantic Quote
I am amused (but not surprised) how quickly the usual suspects on that site had to find something to say to combat the report (i.e. the photos are too perfect looking or that there's some high ISO RAW noise reduction.)

I am not sure what the facts are behind those claims, but I suspect that kind of thing will matter more to the person who likes to analyze what is behind taking photos vs. the person who just likes taking the best quality photos possible. The K-01 is not a perfect camera but it can certainly hold its own when paired with a person who can use it to its advantages.
for me, it matters on taking the best quality possible. although some people might argue that RAW NR is not possible, I would think otherwise that there is processing involved. the reason is I think I've seen similar pattern when I'm processing my RAW files when I'm removing chroma noise and sharpening images from my K-7. the only difference is that details are highly compromised when doing so. the K-01 however would eliminate such further process and avoid smearing the details. I don't think the K-01 is perfect either but in terms of image quality, it is already as good as shooting with D700 RAW at High ISO.
05-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was really tempted by this camera, like the design and was happy to hear it is sharp..but after I saw the colour moire in dpreview test shots(https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1XeLC7XR4SthRXf9mlAW5N0bqdOcSDqUjrxu58...eat=directlink), I will wait to see if there will be another, maybe outdoor mirrorless camera probably with EVFR and stronger AA filter..I love the way how the K5`s filter manages moire

05-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
although the chroma noise removal is impressive, I did however noticed some form of possible sharpening pattern on areas where chroma noise would had been from the K-5 and other cameras. although I would say that I'm very pleased of possibly shooting larger images at 12800 or lowlight shots.
QQ. Did you observe this sharpening in RAW or JPG?

On a side note, I am very happy to see Pentax has improved their Chroma NR system in RAW. Mainly where this means that we have something to look forward too in upcoming K-5 successor. Now if they can couple that with a ISO50 mode, I think this could work out to be be one heck of an appealing package
05-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
QQ. Did you observe this sharpening in RAW or JPG?

On a side note, I am very happy to see Pentax has improved their Chroma NR system in RAW. Mainly where this means that we have something to look forward too in upcoming K-5 successor. Now if they can couple that with a ISO50 mode, I think this could work out to be be one heck of an appealing package
the odd part is it is only in RAW.
05-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Bad news folks: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/184731-dpreview-k-01-ra...ml#post1936510