Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,598
DPreview K-01 RAW high ISO samples botched!

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but the DPreview RAW Studio scene comparison samples for the K-01 have NR applied to them

I just downloaded the ISO6400 RAW image file from the Studio scene and found that all of the noise was present and accounted for. Whereras the scene(on the other hand) was virtually noise free.

This seemingly surreal noise performance has stirred quite a few threads where people have been pointing-out that the K-01 was somehow surpassing most FF camera's. Which sort of made me look

Anyways, when all is said and done, I'm afraid there won't be any low level NR miracles this round from Pentax. But... hey... you gotta admit. This even had the RAW purist guys biting their tongues.

05-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Sorry to be the barer of bad news but the DPreview RAW Studio scene comparison samples for the K-01 have NR applied to them

I just downloaded the ISO6400 RAW image file from the Studio scene and found that all of the noise was present and accounted for. Whereras the scene(on the other hand) was virtually noise free.

This seemingly surreal noise performance has stirred quite a few threads where people have been pointing-out that the K-01 was somehow surpassing most FF camera's. Which sort of made me look

Anyways, when all is said and done, I'm afraid there won't be any low level NR miracles this round from Pentax. But... hey... you gotta admit. This even had the RAW purist guys biting their tongues.
not really surprised JB. as I mentioned the possibility of RAW NR application. the sharpening pattern is somewhat a gimme that something was done with the RAW. I didn't say that it has superior RAW but better RAW NR.
05-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian
ScooterMaxi Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,478
DPreview K-01 RAW high ISO samples fixed now

They still look very good after the corrected posting. Very low chroma noise at high ISO, and good detail retained. On the down side, the saturation and contrast are lower than the K-5. The red channel suppression looks better than the K-5, but that could be mostly a matter of the difference in vibrance.

To my eye, it is pretty clear cut that the IQ is higher than the NEX-5n and NEX-7 RAW samples, but then I'm a big fan of realistic (subdued) rendering.

JNR
05-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 310
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
...the ISO6400 RAW image file from the Studio scene and found that all of the noise was present and accounted for. Whereras the scene(on the other hand) was virtually noise free.
The "scene" cannot be "seen" unless the RAW is PP'd. Your processing may differ from DPR processing, what matters for comparative purposes is that DPR Processing is consistent from one camera to another, and this is what they've corrected I believe. I just looked at the "scene" and to me (on a completely different computer, so I am not looking at the cached image here), it is still outstanding, and easily measure up to FF Nikon D800, which in itself is rather surprising. What I also see is that the nature of noise (mostly luminance) is easily removed without affecting details, whereas color noise (which is extremely well controlled) cannot be removed without loosing details; hence the RAW K-01 images can be PP'd to virtually remove all noise with little or no loss of details; THAT is what I think is most significant.


Last edited by regor; 05-03-2012 at 03:42 PM.
05-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,598
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
The "scene" cannot be "seen" unless the RAW is PP'd.
Actually what happened(I'm almost sure of it) is that they(DPReview) put-up RAW images with NR applied to them whereas they wouldn't do this normally since part of the assessment is to compare noise performances between units(respectively).

Anyways, I didn't look very deeply into this, but it looks like they used ACR to create the images at which point, it's likely that they allowed ACR to run with default NR enabled, which I think is evaluative(based on noise readings) or not... I'm not entirely sure about that.

Whatever the case they've since fixed the issue and the K-01 is showing RAW noise as it should be.
Unfortunately, I didn't save any of the original screens, though I will say they were pretty outstanding against the competition. Enough to say that even the D800 people were on the defensive
05-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,984
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Enough to say that even the D800 people were on the defensive
Suppose Pentax works this magic (they seem to be very good at extracting clean RAW files from the Sony CMOS sensor(s) with whatever the next cameras are? Imagine if the K-01 eventually overcomes the negative initial response by showing itself to be an IQ beast - what will DPR do then? What if the reason they dropped PEF is because Adobe DNG is just better - will we shout huzzah?
05-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Actually what happened(I'm almost sure of it) is that they(DPReview) put-up RAW images with NR applied to them whereas they wouldn't do this normally since part of the assessment is to compare noise performances between units(respectively).

Anyways, I didn't look very deeply into this, but it looks like they used ACR to create the images at which point, it's likely that they allowed ACR to run with default NR enabled, which I think is evaluative(based on noise readings) or not... I'm not entirely sure about that.

Whatever the case they've since fixed the issue and the K-01 is showing RAW noise as it should be.
Unfortunately, I didn't save any of the original screens, though I will say they were pretty outstanding against the competition. Enough to say that even the D800 people were on the defensive
35MP sensor versus 16MP, they should stop complaining and be happy with the D800.

anyway, it became obvious that there is some sort K-01 noise pattern. this maybe distracting especially once NR is applied. I don't worry much about detail and color lost since it seems that color is not that compromised as well.
05-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,511
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
They still look very good after the corrected posting. Very low chroma noise at high ISO, and good detail retained. On the down side, the saturation and contrast are lower than the K-5. The red channel suppression looks better than the K-5, but that could be mostly a matter of the difference in vibrance.

To my eye, it is pretty clear cut that the IQ is higher than the NEX-5n and NEX-7 RAW samples, but then I'm a big fan of realistic (subdued) rendering.

JNR
Looks better than the K-5 to me! Apparently, the K-01 has a weaker anti alias filter, since moire is seen in the striped paper to the left of the Bailey bottle. So K-01 images look slightly sharper. And even after the correction the high iso images are less noisy than the K-5 images. Wow! Can't wait for the K-5n or whatever its name is...

Regarding differences in PP of RAW images: When comparing with the K-01, IMHO the NEX-5n RAW images look over-sharpened to me. They may look slightly "crisper" when observing letters etc., but I see several cases of what looks like sharping artifacts to me.

05-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,598
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Looks better than the K-5 to me! Apparently, the K-01 has a weaker anti alias filter, since moire is seen in the striped paper to the left of the Bailey bottle. So K-01 images look slightly sharper. And even after the correction the high iso images are less noisy than the K-5 images. Wow! Can't wait for the K-5n or whatever its name is...

Regarding differences in PP of RAW images: When comparing with the K-01, IMHO the NEX-5n RAW images look over-sharpened to me. They may look slightly "crisper" when observing letters etc., but I see several cases of what looks like sharping artifacts to me.
I think you're right. I scoured the scene at 200% and found the K-01 to resolve detail that the K-5 just didn't have. However, I noticed the K-5 was shot at f/9 whereas the K-01 was at f/8. And after looking at MFT ratings, it looks like the D FA 50/2.8 falls-off past 5.6 and so there might be a little of that coming through in the scene. Having said that, I'm really hoping Pentax is leaning toward a weaker(perhaps improved) AA filter this round as that could spell better per pixel sharpness of the upcoming K-3 also.

Now if only they can give us an NR: ON/OFF feature in RAW, that would really put the K-5 successor in a class on its own imo.

PS. No offense Pentax, I think your low level NR Is splendid, but I prefer to have the choice with NR in RAW rather than you choosing for me. :ugh:
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dpreview, iso samples, k-01, k01, mirrorless, noise, nr, pentax k-01, samples, scene, studio
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 Low light/ High ISO dpreview vs dxo mark conflict vodanh1982 Pentax K-5 5 10-07-2011 02:52 AM
K-5 low light/High ISO samples johnmflores Pentax K-5 21 04-19-2011 05:03 PM
Nikon D7000 High ISO Samples vancmann Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 48 11-05-2010 06:38 PM
Dedicated Pentax K5 High ISO samples Thread vancmann Pentax K-5 2 11-03-2010 09:25 AM
Some K-r high ISO JPEG samples Asahiflex Pentax News and Rumors 34 10-11-2010 04:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top