Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
A future K-01 follow -up...

I've been a K-01 owner since the first day it came out.

I've also heard of quite a few (beyond) rumors or what could come next in that particular line-up. Sure there's the evf thing - theres even a chance of an eventual full frame K-0xx.

But here's one I have not read about yet, but I've seen info on.

A version of a Pentax K-01 with manual only exposure modes and a type of match the electronic dot type of metering - think of the K-1000 but with three lights - one over, one under, and one right about on, except that... One would not be looking through a viewfinder, but would use the K-01 rear screen and/or an additional optional evf - much like the Nikon version. All the remaining settings would remain the same - as would all of the screen information.

This version aimed at students and perhaps even costing 150-200 less than the current version.

05-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
D0n
Banned

i'd be happy to see a k-01 updated with three simple things...

1) live hdmi out during recording.
2) touch screen interface.
3) wi-fi tethering and phone app/tablet/laptop compatible for remote control/intervalometer and full manual controls and viewing..

yeah a new weather sealed body would be nice as well...

seriously would it not be nice to have three sliders on the lcd you could swipe to control iso/aperture/shutter in manual? while having an external monitor to see the results on?
05-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't really think that would be a big seller. Probably the biggest things that I can see are: improving speed (fps, auto focus), adding an EVF (attachable one is probably fine) and improving video possibilities.

Release a weather sealed version with sealed versions of the DA limiteds and you have a real winner on your hands.
05-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Hi, Medium
Does the K-01 display EV error in manual mode? my ist ds does not.
The Olympus M4/3 in M mode has a bar graph either side of 0.0 correction.
Reminiscent of an old slr, the bar stays alive after the shutter speed is locked- good for spot mode
They spoiled it a bit because it is necessary to hit the up arrow one time to get control of up/down arrows for shutter speed adjustment.

05-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So sort of an MESuper/KX for the modern era? Sounds pretty marketable if properly marketed. The K-01 is os good as it is - hard to make it better!!

FWIW, I purchased (or received as a gift) two SLR's new; a KX in 1977 and an MESuper in 1984. With both I received the 50/1.4 and a flash in a boxed kit. I still have and use both cameras. These two will always stay with me, even as shelf decorations, becasue they are so close to perfect. All the 20 other film cameras I've bought used I'm willing to sell at any time at the right price, even the LX.

A digital MESuper/KX analog is a pretty cool idea that would actually attract my wife, who uses an Optio A40. She's intrigued by my K-01, but still doesn't want to mess with exposure. Visual indicators might be just the ticket for her.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-03-2012 at 06:24 AM.
05-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

To atract student or young people you have to get in to their lives. So make it connected to 3G. Build in Instagram. I guess smaller is also one way. So that makes something different then K-0* series.
05-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I bet this cardboard digital camera called the Knappa sold through IKEA is a HUGE success!! It isn't particularly small, might not take good pictures and its a kluge to use and change the batteries, but I bet young people flock to it. Doesn't do Instagram; doesn't do WiFi. Doesn't have an SD card slot - just a USB connector; the epitome of low cost simple - but I already emailed my daughter to get me one as soon as it shows up in her store in New York. WAY COOL. Way way cool.

If the K-01 was properly marketed it could be the hit this will be - but we shunned it. What a great camera the K-01 is!! Even simpler would be even better.

FWIW, the Amazon link on the PetaPixel page features three Pentax Optio cameras - something is happening under the surface.
05-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
D0n
Banned

I bet a little silver box with a k-mount and a usb/smartphone/ipod dock would sell like crazy.... mount a lens to the front, iphone/ipod touch to the back and fire up the ios app and start shooting..... now that would sell like crazy, if you got the k-01's successor to a sub $400.00 price point by removing the lcd as well as the evf.....

05-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
I bet a little silver box with a k-mount and a usb/smartphone/ipod dock would sell like crazy.... mount a lens to the front, iphone/ipod touch to the back and fire up the ios app and start shooting..... now that would sell like crazy, if you got the k-01's successor to a sub $400.00 price point by removing the lcd as well as the evf.....
Samsung Galaxy. TNBT. Apple is so last year.
05-03-2012, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Inactive Account

I wonder how many 'students and young people' have a bunch of K-mount lenses lying around that would push them to get a little camera...with a big mount? Even one that is connectivity-rich? Young people already have $300-$500 'little silver boxes' with plenty of connectivity...why would they care about "k-mount"'?

What they need, IF so inclined to actually care about taking decent photos, are good affordable cameras that are smallish and can take better pictures then their phone. INet would be a bonus, I guess. What they get, is cool Ashton Kutcher painting the town with a small and fun looking Nikon, which also happens to be something they can readily find and try at their local Target...right next to the XBoxes and iPads.

Then there are students - who need real cameras so they can learn to be real photographers...not an ipod stuck to the back of a little box with a big lens.
My nieces used EOS film bodies just a few years ago...not sure what the one will need to use next year(??).

Meanwhile...my daughter is a young person AND a student (architecture - not photography), & so are her cousins (who were also photog students), and THEY want a capable camera like my K-5, preferably just a bit smaller...OM-D (or Nex7) for some graduation presents, anyone? They are photo smart enough to know they want more then just another smartphone. (Thankfully!)

Last edited by jmg257; 05-03-2012 at 09:32 AM.
05-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
Students need real cameras so they can learn to be real photographers...not an ipod stuck to the back of a little box with a big lens.
We are looking at the K-01 from our historical Pentax backward-compatible perspective. That's the wrong way to look at the K-01.

The K-01 design ethic (not yet fully fleshed out), when using the coming XS lens line, is a large box and tiny lens - that is the equivalent size in usable form to a small box and larger lens. Te ability to use any K-mount lens ever made in native form without an adapter is merely a sweetner for the cognoscenti.

Q is the tiny-box + adapter + large lens or small-kit-of-mount-specific-tiny-lenses mirrorless, not K-01.
05-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Yeah...

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Samsung Galaxy. TNBT. Apple is so last year.
and the giant pixels from the designed-primarily-for-phone apps are SO cool!

Copies are always better than the real deal....

Cheers,
Cameron
05-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
and the giant pixels from the designed-primarily-for-phone apps are SO cool!

Copies are always better than the real deal....

Cheers,
Cameron
Facts aren't helpful. Especially when considering consum,er electronic fads.

I pay for 5 iPhone and three iPad data plans a month (don't ask why there is a data phone and a data tablet). There are 4 Apple laptops and probably 15 iPods of various ages spread around my house (don't ask why there are PMD,'s phones, laptops and tablets for the same user). I draw the line at paying for an iCloud account.

I shudder to think what will happen if the Next Big Apple Thing is an iCam.

I guess you have to own the stock to make this all rational.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-03-2012 at 10:06 AM.
05-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved to the K-01 forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It seems to me that Cameras should now have APP functionality, not necessarily Apple Apps but probably. Imagine the business Pentax could do it their next camera had a touch screen, wireless connection and App/Android store access or similar. I have a iPhone4 and I love my DOF app along with many others but I can imagine APP that have full control of the camera and where the camera is told to focus on the nearest object, determine the hyper-focal distance for a given focal length and aperture and then focuses the lens to that point automatically. Internal focus stacking could also be handled via an app. The app functionality would open the camera up to external developers that could take the 'platform' forward. If Pentax aren't doing something like this right now they will be caught out again, I just know it.

PS: Of course if there were full connectivity and communication of functions over wireless to a smartphone that would be a good start in this direction. So the idea of docking an iPhone on the actual camera may not be such a bad idea.