Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the K-01, but can't use it :-(

I like the design, I like the IQ, I like the camera and I like the price... but... getting too old ! I am far sighted and not getting any younger either, and when I hold the camera close to my face in what I consider a stable position, my eyes can't focus close enough :-( and I am not about to start wearing reading glasses to take photos ! The only other way for me to use it, is to hold the camera further, in which case, it is too far to see much on the screen and goodby stability ! That's too bad, I really like it, but I guess I am better off with a good old fashion OVF (I can't stand even the best of todays EVFs with the image lag and low DR ! ) That's too bad. I'll wait to see what comes after the K-5 and then decide, which, K-5 or K-3 it will be.

05-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You could always get your eyes lasered, if affordable. Not just for the K-01 but for life in general.
05-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's always this diopter viewfinder type device that you can couple to your LCD screen. Have you considered that option?
I've been thinking about trying one out myself with my K-5 because I prefer shooting w/magnification on screen rather than with the OVF. I tried one out at the camera store awhile back on a Nikon and really liked how it worked.
05-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seeing as Pentax also make spectacle lenses, perhaps they could throw in a free pair of glasses for troubled K-01 users?

Sorry to hear you aren't getting on with your K-01. However using the screen is reasonable for most potential K-01 buyers, who like me are totally comfortable with using the screens on our portable devices (compact cameras, smartphones etc). When using my K-7 in Live View mode I tuck my elbows against my chest and hold it about 6 inches in front of my face, which suits me fine. No question the OVF is more comfortable to use in most cases though.

05-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
You could always get your eyes lasered, if affordable. Not just for the K-01 but for life in general.
Laser eye surgery won't help with presbyopia, the inability of the human eye to focus close, unless you want your eyes to be permanently stuck focussing at 10 cm. It means that the eye can no longer focus the lens. It's like having the focus of a 50 mm lens irreparably seized up at infinity. If you want laser eye surgery to enable you to view close that means your eyes will only be able to focus at 10 cm -- every other distance will be out of focus except with optical aids -- not an attractive prospect for most people. To use a view screen instead of an optical viewfinder laser eye surgery is not an option. You have few choices: hold the camera at arm's length, use reading glasses, or add a bulky optical aid to the view screen. Presbyopia affects 100% of the population by age 50. Get ready for it -- it will affect you too, unless future medical breakthroughs enable transplanting lens-focussing muscles from the eyes of a 20-year old organ donor to your eyes.
05-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Seeing as Pentax also make spectacle lenses, perhaps they could throw in a free pair of glasses for troubled K-01 users?

Sorry to hear you aren't getting on with your K-01. However using the screen is reasonable for most potential K-01 buyers, who like me are totally comfortable with using the screens on our portable devices (compact cameras, smartphones etc). When using my K-7 in Live View mode I tuck my elbows against my chest and hold it about 6 inches in front of my face, which suits me fine. No question the OVF is more comfortable to use in most cases though.
That is reasonable only if you're under the age of 40. Otherwise you have to use reading glasses or multi-focal glasses.
05-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I like the design, I like the IQ, I like the camera and I like the price... but... getting too old ! I am far sighted and not getting any younger either, and when I hold the camera close to my face in what I consider a stable position, my eyes can't focus close enough :-( and I am not about to start wearing reading glasses to take photos ! The only other way for me to use it, is to hold the camera further, in which case, it is too far to see much on the screen and goodby stability ! That's too bad, I really like it, but I guess I am better off with a good old fashion OVF (I can't stand even the best of todays EVFs with the image lag and low DR ! ) That's too bad. I'll wait to see what comes after the K-5 and then decide, which, K-5 or K-3 it will be.

05-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Laser eye surgery won't help with presbyopia, the inability of the human eye to focus close, unless you want your eyes to be permanently stuck focussing at 10 cm. It means that the eye can no longer focus the lens. It's like having the focus of a 50 mm lens irreparably seized up at infinity. If you want laser eye surgery to enable you to view close that means your eyes will only be able to focus at 10 cm -- every other distance will be out of focus except with optical aids -- not an attractive prospect for most people. To use a view screen instead of an optical viewfinder laser eye surgery is not an option. You have few choices: hold the camera at arm's length, use reading glasses, or add a bulky optical aid to the view screen. Presbyopia affects 100% of the population by age 50. Get ready for it -- it will affect you too, unless future medical breakthroughs enable transplanting lens-focussing muscles from the eyes of a 20-year old organ donor to your eyes.
Yep. It hit me at about 46. It SUCKS!!!!! :cry:
05-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

+1 Regor
I nearly got a K-01 but decided to get a low cost M4/3 first to check it.
No good at all, exactly your problems.
So I am using it with the bulls eye graticle and a list of hyperfocal numbers.
Hyperfocals work OK on 9~12 mm on that format, probably not good enough on K-01.

LCD VF is a dead horse for me.
05-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
That is something that holds me up, at the moment I only need readers. If I wore glasses full time I'd likely have bought already. I use a
3 diopter on my K7 to offset things right now (and avoid pulling out my blo**dy glasses - at least until I decide to shoot a video

As mentioned an option is the hoodman type devices that have a diopter I've considered this idea for shooting video (and wide open fast lenses)

HoodLoupe 3.0-Hoodman Corporation

05-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I certainly don't mean to contradict anyone else's observations, but consider things my way --

I really believe the K-01 as an enthusiast camera is especially useful for full-time glasses-wearers like me. I've struggled for years with +2 correction lens adapters, shooting left-eye, putting on and taking off glasses and just about selling everything and giving up.

You cannot imagine how wonderful the LCD with focus peaking held six inches away from my face is - with my eyeglasses or prescription sunglasses on - compared to my alternatives. Maybe I have to use a tripod with longer lenses; maybe I can't really shoot action and quickly switch to portrait; maybe I have to find a workaround in really bright sun (I have); etc. So what?

Everything is a matter of perspective and developing coping mechanisms to continue to do the things I want to do within my changing set of limitations.

I love this camera - design, ergonomics, function - the whole deal. Maybe the next one will be better or dSLR's will add an OVF to the K-01 LCD technology - if so I'll upgrade, but I think I'll carry this little camera around for a long time. <g>
05-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I certainly don't mean to contradict anyone else's observations, but consider things my way --

I really believe the K-01 as an enthusiast camera is especially useful for full-time glasses-wearers like me. I've struggled for years with +2 correction lens adapters, shooting left-eye, putting on and taking off glasses and just about selling everything and giving up.

You cannot imagine how wonderful the LCD with focus peaking held six inches away from my face is - with my eyeglasses or prescription sunglasses on - compared to my alternatives. Maybe I have to use a tripod with longer lenses; maybe I can't really shoot action and quickly switch to portrait; maybe I have to find a workaround in really bright sun (I have); etc. So what?

Everything is a matter of perspective and developing coping mechanisms to continue to do the things I want to do within my changing set of limitations.

I love this camera - design, ergonomics, function - the whole deal. Maybe the next one will be better or dSLR's will add an OVF to the K-01 LCD technology - if so I'll upgrade, but I think I'll carry this little camera around for a long time. <g>
Your situation as a full time glasses wearer make it an ideal solution in my opinion. I may still get one, I just don't want to have to wear my reading glasses while walking around so I can shoot, since i haven't succumbed to full time glasses (yet, they will come though, I could already get them in a weak prescription, but don't find I need them yet)
05-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Your situation as a full time glasses wearer make it an ideal solution in my opinion. I may still get one, I just don't want to have to wear my reading glasses while walking around so I can shoot, since i haven't succumbed to full time glasses (yet, they will come though, I could already get them in a weak prescription, but don't find I need them yet)
I've been wearing glasses for 48 years ! The problem is simple, I'm getting old. With a +5 diotry + prism correction, close focus is just not an option, never will be. 1 1/2 foot, is the closest I'll ever be able to focus and struggling at that. Adding Gizmos is not a practical option when I can get a perfectly fine K-05 for an extra $250. I am not putting down the K-01, it's a great camera and I love it, but it is just not for me or anyone with close focus limitation. An EVF would not be an otion for me either, I hate those things, they drive me nuts !
05-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Like many of you I have some close focus issuses. I am using a zacuto z-find pro on the k-5 and I love it. I expect it would be even better on the k-01. Spendy but its a nice bit of kit.

Last edited by riff; 05-04-2012 at 01:47 PM.
05-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That's interesting. When I started wearing glasses, I always had to choose shoot without my glasses (I can adjust the diopter on the OVF just fine) but then I can't see the LCD to chimp shots and adjust the menus. Or, I could wear my glasses so I can see the LCD, but then constantly clean them because of the eyepiece grunge on my glasses.

The K-01 solves that problem for me (well, actually, the Pen solved it first). Now, I can wear my transition glasses, I can see the LCD and menus, and I don't have to worry about eyepiece grunge on my glasses. My polarized sunglasses even work (they're prescription) until I turn the camera to portrait. So I take a lot of portrait shots outside with my head tilted.