Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #1

K-01 Bug List

Let me start by saying I love this camera. It is not perfect but it let me focus on shooting with great IQ/price ratio.

I actually switched from Oly Ep-3, which itself is great in many aspects and still K-01 won me over.

That being said, would like to share a bug list and in doing so also to confirm the issues i experience are not specific to my copy nor user error for that matter.

1) using internal flash with Program the exposure seems dead-on most if the time while Tv and Av tends to be ~0.7 EV over

2) occasionally not responsive after shot - cannot replay shot, etc. pressing shutter once seems to recover from the hang-up. I suspect it might be an SD card issue, will continue to observe as I can yet to reproduce the issue consistently.

3) in Auto mode, Flash will switch from auto-flash to manual flash if I touch the flash setting in other modes and then switch back to auto

4) AE lock customization for movie mode - AF1 seems to imply half-press of shutter will also re-focus but in my case AF1/AF2 behaves the same: only AE-lock can refocus

5) (enhancement request) pre-focused shutter lag seems a tad slow

6) (enhancement request) why can't we have peaking in movie mode with manual focus :cry:

7) (enhancement request) button customization can use more flexibility - currently certain mode-specific (e.g. program shift) customization will render the button useless in non-applicable modes

05-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generally, firmware updates for intro-level bodies are few and far between, but I do hope that some of the stability issues get resolved. When I reviewed the camera I could consistently get it to lock up with a fa200 macro lens, so there are definitely a few bugs
05-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Generally, firmware updates for intro-level bodies are few and far between, but I do hope that some of the stability issues get resolved...
I am not holding my breath for the updates either. But #1 is significant and I would hope it is a repairable HW defect.
Could some K-01 owners please try it? Thanks.
05-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #4

Your bug item number 2 is one I have encountered. I was frustrated until I realized that the af/ae lock indicator was on. A half-press on the shutter button releases the lock, and makes the camera responsive again. I really don't know if they made the camera work this way on purpose, or if it is an undocumented feature.

05-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I got an error once when recording video with the focus peak enabled. It appears to have recorded the video with the focus peak edge enhancement. A still frame from the video is shown below:

Also I can't get the focus light on an external flash (AF360FGZ) to work - maybe because of the new focusing method on the K-01?
05-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Also forgot to mention the audio hiss in videos with low background sounds. I get this even with a good external microphone. My panasonic LX3 has cleaner audio in comparison.
05-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Idunno if other people are experiencing this, my K-01 disconnects after loading 23.7 megs. I thought it was the card but I put the card in my Q and it'll upload just fine. So ya I tried with all programs, and sometimes it wont even show up as attatched to the computer, it was kinda driving me nuts as my sd card slot on my mac book fried and I've been lazy about getting it fixed since I never use it but now when I couldnt upload I was like "damn", but the Q came and saved the day lol...