Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 review at DCResource

K-01 review at DCResource:
Pentax K-01 Review | Digital Camera Resource Page

Interesting review IMHO with some first hand comments:
"The K-01 is about more than just looks, though -- it's a capable interchangeable lens camera, with some of the best photo quality you'll find on an ILC"

"The K-01's movie mode is nothing to sneeze at, with the ability to record 1080/30p video with stereo sound, image stabilization, and manual controls."

"I want to expand on my experiences with Pentax quality control (or lack of it). The weeks I spent with the K-01 were frustrating. My original K-01 would produce out-of-focus photos about 50% of the time, with multiple lenses."

"The K-01 is definitely not the performance champ when it comes to autofocus speeds."

"Overall, the K-01's photo quality ranks among the best interchangeable lens cameras."

I will get my K-01 next week and look forward to it. In the mean time, the review may interest some. It is the first or one of the first in-depth review.

Last edited by hcc; 05-05-2012 at 11:16 PM.
05-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
the K-01 were frustrating. My original K-01 would produce out-of-focus photos about 50% of the time, with multiple lenses."

If this is the language in the review... I don't believe that their perspective is accurate.

They must have been using wrong setting for focusing; very poor aperature lens, and also lighting so poor that it would definately require a tripod. Perhaps they should have also found other that have used the camera
05-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I was puzzled by this aspect of this review also. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, front/back focusing is only an issue with SLRs. Perhaps the reviewer simply wasn't waiting for the AF to lock properly.
05-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FF/BF should be impossible with contrast detect AF. The only thing I can think of is the camera was set to shutter priority.

05-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Depending on how you have the AF set, the camera can lock focus on an area other than what the shooter intends. Perhaps the reviewer was assuming a focus point that differed from where the camera selected. You would think a reviewer would know how the focusing system works, though.

JNR
05-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
. . . . They must have been using wrong setting for focusing; very poor aperature lens, and also lighting so poor that it would definately require a tripod.. . .
Then how come the replacement body worked perfectly ? Is it impossible to accept that a Pentax product was faulty ?

My early testing is showing a similar focussing fault - I'll post when I've had a chance to do definitive testing.
05-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Forum Member

The review looks fair.... He was not happy with QC. regarding focus speed, he believes it is not in the same league as other mirrorless but it is not frustratingly slow. We had sigma DPx cameras for real slow focussing. Fuji X100 is not the fastest either
Once pentax comes out with more XS lenses like olympus EP3 came along with a faster kit zoom, it should be even
But one thing is puzzling - Now m43 had 3 gens of mirrorless, when pentax came out with the mirrorless.they should have worked out the focus speed. Given that they came late, it would have been really nice to have fast AF

05-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had a few shots taken in Av where absolutely nothing was in focus, even though I got focus confirmation. Not sure how that happens, other than a bug. It's only happened a few times, but I've seen it. I think the last time it happened I had the DA21 on there.

Overall, I really like the K-01, but like any new product, there are a few bugs. They don't really bother me, but they're there.