Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Not promoted properly??

I've come across this issue in person... People somehow believing that the Pentax K-01 doesn't use the full range of Pentax PK lens', all currently one hundred plus that are on the market - all without an adapter. Also that the K-01 uses PK lens' that I've had in my collection, lens' that date as being manufactured in the late 70's/early 80's. For some reason most people aren't aware of this lens availability and also the fact that any PK lens does not require any type of an adapter.

People are quite suprised to see me switch out a lens between an SLR and then use the same exact lens on the K-01. I'll bet Sony is wishing the same. Hint - Sony is wishing they had this, yet Pentax already has it, but doesn't fully use it to their advantage.

...And then there's the advertising, reviews, promotions and the like. The ads in general are shall we state difficult to come across.

As for the rest. I'm thinking that perhaps the number one issue of the camera for promotion should be that this K-01 uses the same full PK lens line as the existing SLR's, as well as flash units, etc... Perhaps it should be promoted even more than the fact that the K-01 is mirrorless.

And here is a case in point. Let me first point out that I do a fair share of shopping at B&H; and they are one of the companies I would have no problem in fully endorsing. I'm fully confident in the abilities of the entire staff there, but... One item may have slipped through in one of their recent publications - a type of catalog. Also; it may not have even been B&H's fault; as perhaps they were almost told to publish it this way. Either way here goes...

B&H publication; Photo, Video & Pro Audio, Summer 2012, page 133...

Unfortunately it does not state anywhere that the camera uses the full Pentax PK line; one of the cameras best selling points.

Really hoping that a prospective customer might also research the camera further to come across this major selling point. But for those that do not look further, they might very well pass for another camera line.

It's just a minor error or oversight; whom am I to judge. If I had a dollar for every mistake I made while forgetting to use items such as spell correction, then I wouldn't have to professionally work as a photographer. But also noting, this is by far not the only example of this - it's just generally how the camera is being promoted - or perhaps not properly promoted.

It's almost like having a Mercedes sold with the four donut spares as the real tires

05-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That does seem counter to a strong marketing point - but perhaps K-mount backward compatibility is not something viewed by non-Pentax users in a positive way - like maybe it is itnerpreted as "old." We, of course, know the strength of the KAFn mounts, so perhaps there is no value net value to promoting it.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.
05-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Excellent point. I'm sure though that the PRIC apologists will be quick to point out that those who are not Pentaxians really wouldn't care about the availability of all that legacy glass, so ipso facto PRIC has not screwed up.
05-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Excellent point. I'm sure though that the PRIC apologists will be quick to point out that those who are not Pentaxians really wouldn't care about the availability of all that legacy glass, so ipso facto PRIC has not screwed up.
I feel like the biggest issue Pentax has had over the years (both before and after the Ricoh purchase) was lack of decent advertising. Most of their cameras very nice compared to the competition with strong selling points that are never exploited properly. The only marketing has been "We're cheap!"

05-08-2012, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

they really need to run ads featuring that pic of the bodies with all the current compatible lenses,
05-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Cognitive dissonance

The problem for Pentax with this model is functionally it performs very well and fits in well with the rich history of Pentax. For us oldsters who value function, it mostly fits (it would fit even better with a decent grip, EVF, etc.).

I'm in Minnesota where they are stocking the camera at the Walker (Modern) Art Museum store (the only place in Minnesota where you can touch a new Pentax camera at retail). You don't find a lot of hipsters in Minnesota, but if you were to look first it might very well be at the Walker. Real Pentax reps are actually doing a demo thing Thursday night at the store. So, now you really are trying to sell on aesthetics, venturing into the virtual unknown for Pentax.

By all indications, Pentax succeeded functionally, but the hope was to win over on aesthetics. If nothing else, the camera creates cognitive dissonance - that is, it is something very different than what it appears to be.

Bottom line, this camera is a marketing nightmare. I very much like the camera for its specific purposes which, honestly, are somewhat limited, but I would hate to try marketing it.

JNR

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 05-08-2012 at 09:42 AM.
05-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I've come across this issue in person... People somehow believing that the Pentax K-01 doesn't use the full range of Pentax PK lens', all currently one hundred plus that are on the market - all without an adapter. Also that the K-01 uses PK lens' that I've had in my collection, lens' that date as being manufactured in the late 70's/early 80's. For some reason most people aren't aware of this lens availability and also the fact that any PK lens does not require any type of an adapter.
I think there's a problem in that, according to some K-01 users on this forum, the K-01 does not work well with all PK lenses, so if Pentax were to advertise that, they'd be inviting trouble.

05-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think there's a problem in that, according to some K-01 users on this forum, the K-01 does not work well with all PK lenses, so if Pentax were to advertise that, they'd be inviting trouble.
And part of the product business model is to sell XS lenses - so why market that XS lenses aren't necessary?
05-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And part of the product business model is to sell XS lenses - so why market that XS lenses aren't necessary?
That's an even better point.

Hopefully Pentax will come out with a few more little XS primes soon.
05-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Unfortunately it does not state anywhere that the camera uses the full Pentax PK line; one of the cameras best selling points.
Why would they need to do that? Do they already say that Pentax DSLRs are compatible with K mount lenses or that Sony SLTs are compatible with the A mount lenses?
05-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Why would they need to do that? Do they already say that Pentax DSLRs are compatible with K mount lenses or that Sony SLTs are compatible with the A mount lenses?
I think the point is that people who are familiar with mirrorless assume that it uses a new mount that is incompatible with previous lenses without an adapter. NEX line of cameras is compatible with A mount lenses as well, but only with a fairly expensive adapter. Pentax could have done the same, but didn't.
05-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Product Description
From the Manufacturer
Pentax K-01 Digital Camera
Pentax mirrorless body design is compatible with 25+ million Pentax K-mount lenses spanning decades.
Amazon.com: Pentax K-01 16MP APS-C CMOS Compact System Camera Kit with DA 40mm Lens (Black): Electronics

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount is compatible with current and past K-mount cameras
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842490-REG/Pentax_15242_K_01_Digital_Camera_With.html
05-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
they really need to run ads featuring that pic of the bodies with all the current compatible lenses,
And certainly not just the new ones
05-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
And certainly not just the new ones
the advantage to current is they are all lenses pentax can sell

na 2 page ad with page 2 being and all these lenses also fit with a shot including every Pentax lens (i'm sure they have a copy of everything)
05-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the point is that people who are familiar with mirrorless assume that it uses a new mount that is incompatible with previous lenses without an adapter. NEX line of cameras is compatible with A mount lenses as well, but only with a fairly expensive adapter. Pentax could have done the same, but didn't.
Well, Pentax built an SLT, but without PDAF and without a viewfinder, so they are now trying to justify it by calling it a MILC that can take legacy lenses.

But marketing strategy aside, this is a non issue. The only people that care about legacy lenses are those that have them already, and they can figure out such details on their own.