Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #1

Lenses for K-01

If I may ask ones to clarify me the following matters?
1) If the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM is compatible with K-mouth (without adaptor).
2) Please advise if Pentax 18-200mm available and has better image quality. Which model is it?
3) If we want to compensate the focal length to use Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR. How good is image quality throughout the range comparing with above two lenses.

Thanks in advance.

05-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by czadpoom Quote
If I may ask ones to clarify me the following matters?
1) If the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM is compatible with K-mouth (without adaptor).
2) Please advise if Pentax 18-200mm available and has better image quality. Which model is it?
3) If we want to compensate the focal length to use Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR. How good is image quality throughout the range comparing with above two lenses..
1) You must choose the K-mount version of the Sigma. (K-mount = Pentax mount on K-01)
2) Do you mean the Pentax DA18-250mm? The DA18-250mm is well regarded among the all-around zoom lenses.
3) The DA18-135mm is a WR lens but the K-01 is not a WR lens.

Overall, you are trying to tie up the K-01 with a relatively a large lens. You may wish to consider the lens weight and choose a lighter lens.

Hope that the comment may help.
05-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
That's very kind answer. Yes you were right, I had CA-PE-K-01 Pancake 40mm F2.8 along with the camera. I reckon I would love to have the zoom lens and I prefer the Pentax DA18-250mm regarding to the longer all-around zoom lens. But I need to check the weight as you advised for the K-01 is already heavy. Mhmm .. and it is hard to find ones available at conventional photo-shops.
Very much thanks for your swift reply. It's truly fantastic comment.
05-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
long lens for K-01?

My 55-300 works just great on my K-01--as some other members have noted about theirs--and it is pretty compact for the range you get. You can hear some work going on there, but the K-01 spins the 55-300 with authority. I was figuring I would use peak focusing out beyond 200mm but even at 300 the auto focus is about as good as that of my K20D--in good light, that is.

Now I am hoping Pentax produces a $250 XS version of the DA Limited 21mm f3.2

05-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi Quote
My 55-300 works just great on my K-01--as some other members have noted about theirs--and it is pretty compact for the range you get. You can hear some work going on there, but the K-01 spins the 55-300 with authority. I was figuring I would use peak focusing out beyond 200mm but even at 300 the auto focus is about as good as that of my K20D--in good light, that is.
+1 to all of the above - including that the 55~300 requires good light to work well on my dSLR's, too. I bump EvComp at the long end to compensate for the f/5.6 (+270mm, which also brightens the LCD) and if necessary QuickShift touch up the focus, but that is almost never necessary.

Since I don't use the K-01 as a "critical" camera the IQ obtained is so far beyond good enough that I am just delighted with it.
05-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Large lens holding method

While I agree that the K-01 works very well with small and light lenses, I do think there is a relatively easy work around for the larger lenses you might want to mount. Use your left hand to support and balance most of the weight of the lens, adding your right hand only for stability and triggering the shutter. It can become second nature pretty quickly. The less than well-endowed grip possibly was designed to encourage this technique (but I might be giving the designer more credit than he deserves).

JNR
05-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
While I agree that the K-01 works very well with small and light lenses, I do think there is a relatively easy work around for the larger lenses you might want to mount. Use your left hand to support and balance most of the weight of the lens, adding your right hand only for stability and triggering the shutter. It can become second nature pretty quickly. The less than well-endowed grip possibly was designed to encourage this technique (but I might be giving the designer more credit than he deserves).

JNR
I've said from the beginning (before I actually received mine) that the way to hold this camera is as if it is a film SLR, just as you suggest. Image from my MESuper User Manual.

05-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Odds are pretty good that there is a K-01 specific zoom under development as well
the issue with the big super zooms is not just weight, they also don't have the iq of a good prime or smaller zoom. a 2 lens kit with the 18-55 dalII and the DA 55-300 is maybe a better match for the K-01 IMO
better yet is just grab the DA 15,21,70 and the Limited series case which will attach to the strap and you have a high quality compact kit (a little pricier though and still lacking on the longest reach end)

05-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's the 18-200 that works with the K-01:
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC HSM Lens for Pentax AF 882109 B&H

Also, we've posted a nice little lens guide here:
Pentax K-01 Lens Guide - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: