Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

question re: K-01 +40xs

So, I find my K10D limiting now and then. Biggest issues are poor high ISO, size, and a little low on dynamic range. I do Like the "WR", but I usually (there are exceptions) find that when I need high ISO I am less likely to need the WR. But, the K10 has been doing more than a fine job for anything outdoors (which is mostly what I use it for) so I don't know that I necessarily need to replace it with a k5 immediately.

So, I figured... grab a K-01, use it for events/etc when light is lacking. I like that its smaller, and looks less like a "serious" camera. probly miss the viewfinder now and then, but I'm sure I'd survive.

So, with this intended use a small lens seems like it'd be beneficial... nothing jutitng out from the body, a bit more pocketable and such. How is the 40xs to manually focus? Is it useable, or just too small to easily use (with somewhat big hands)?
I hate the noise from screw drive AF and pretty much either MF or use HSM/SDM. I'd expect to mostly use the camera with some other ltd's, but they're all big enough to make it seem like it' could be akward to handle.

05-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The short time I used it I found it really nice for manual focus, the throw is short but not to short, but short enough where I can hold the camera with both hands and use my left index finger to focus by placing it under the lens. Got rid of it cause I got a voigtlander ultron coming in and I'm a manual focus shooter ...
05-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

I think you won't want to be back to K10d if you've got a K-01, everything has been improved a lot.
05-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by norm Quote
I think you won't want to be back to K10d if you've got a K-01, everything has been improved a lot.
My experience exactly, other than ISO100 with the K10D for vibrant colors, and tripod shooting longer than 300mm. Everything else is done with K-01 now. You just have to learn how to hold it (classic SLR grip).

I'm still more accustomed to Green Button on the SLR but that will come with the K-01 over time. Manual Focus is a dream!!

05-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll love manual focus with the K-01. I don't have the XS40, but the DA40 works beautifully.
Don't be too worried about using the other limiteds either - they are a delight to use on the K-01.
05-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You'll love manual focus with the K-01.
Just tried it with XS40, works quite well. No, I havent bought it yet, unfortunately, just tried it in the shop. The shop has posters for K-01 platered all over its front entrance.
05-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Re: 40XS, thanks for the comments. I figured itd be easy to use, but it looks so little I had to wonder. If I do grab a K-01 I'll be picking up the lens with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by norm Quote
Thats part of the reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. If its gonna end up being the body I use most, I can't help but figure, why not just get a K5? ...And then I figure, why not hold off until fall/winter and see if somehting is announced to replace the k5 and decide between the new model or a K5 then ( I know, the logic is rediculous, but still...) I like the form of the k-01, but I don't think its enough to justify a k-01 and a k5 (for me).