Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimntonik Quote
I've been experiencing similar focus issues lately with the DA 21, 40 XS, and DA 70. At first I was thinking it was just the 70mm and I needed to get used to the very shallow depth of field at f/2.4, but after experiencing a similar issue with my brand new DA21 yesterday, I'm convinced that it's a camera rather than a lens issue.

I'm considering taking my K-01 in to get serviced, and if they can't fix it, returning the camera -- would appreciate any feedback from others in the forum who might have an idea of what's going on.
I've only had this happen a couple of times, and on non-critical shots, so I'm not too put out about it. If it was a regular occurence, then I'd send the camera in for repair.

05-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I sometimes get similar behaviour from a K7 in LV mode. Seems like the AF can get totally flummoxed and accepts a grossly out of focus shot as in-focus. Sometimes it will let me take the shot, sometimes not. However the fact that the shot is grossly out of focus (can easily tell on the screen) usually prompts me to refocus, using part of the scene which has a bit more contrast.
05-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I've noticed this issue in the few times I've had the camera out. It seems to have a tendency to choose the background over the foreground with center point focus. Say, I'm pointing the camera's center point at a tripod, there is chance the camera will focus for the background instead of the foreground if the lens is currently focused toward the background. Maybe it has something to do with trying to have quick focus lock with a focus point that's too large?
05-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, as the OP, I just wanted to say that I've only had this problem with nothing in focus a couple of times out of the hundreds or thousands of shots I've taken with it. I don't consider it a deal breaker, and I don't consider the camera defective. Rather, I think there's a bug in the algorithm somewhere that causes the camera to take shots like this on rare occasions.

I only bring this up because the DPR (DCR?) reviewer yesterday on the K-01 mentioned that he had to send his first copy back because he had numerous shots where nothing was in focus. I've never felt like that.