Canon G1X vs. Pentax K-01

I did a micro-test - G1X vs. K-01.
Please look at: Canon Powershot G1X vs. Pentax K-01 - a set on Flickr
Regards
Jens

05-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
No one camera model, even camera label is good for everyone.

I've tried out all of the Canon G series over time, but... Never have owned one. I find the price a bit on the steep end. A few other notes on the Canon.

The Canon's best items...
1. Lens optics;although limited 4x zoom, it does have a f2.8 aerature. The optics are far above average for the range - even far better than what the sensor needs. The lens also more suited towards wider angle settings.
2. Ability to use the Canon flash unit line.
3. Somewhat compact size.
4. Ability to capture in raw.

Canon needs to improve...
1. The price; one could get the entry level Rebel.
2. The images I've captured both under controlled conditions and also in the field... Were not much better than a 10mp pocket Sony; even when the Sony used jpegs. Also under most (but not all) pics; a 16x16 Sony (16mp w 16x optical lens) did better than the Canon. The Sony is also a considerably smaller camera.Also noting that optically the Canon is better in it's range.

But the above mentioned article compares the Canon G1x to the Pentax K-01. I personally would much rather stay the Pentax line with full interchangeable lens and not add on front of lens options
05-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

At first glace it looks like the G1 does a better job but the K-01 shots have better detail, exposure and microcontrast. Some of that could be the settings used as these shots are hard to compare
05-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
You are right Deimos. But then again - those are not my choises - the camera AE chose the settings, In my experience Pentax cameras often choose rather (too) slow shutter speeds. That's fine for landscape etc., but might be a problem, when pepole are in the frame. I'll be doing more "scientific" tests shortly.I was planning to use the K-01 for snapshots, company outings and gatherings and family events, but I find that the K-01 is too bulky - and my whife would never use af bulky camera with interchangeable lenses like the K-01. So we need a family snap shooter to replace the outdated Lumix LX3. I guess the G1X is a fine choise. For pro work I'll continue using my K-5, K20D and my Pentax 67II, which I would never take with me on a famly holliday trip. But then agian, I just might sell the K20D and then use the K-01 as back-up in stead (it is a nice camera) - after all the K-01 can utilize the GPS unit and is great for panoramas,because of it's boxy design, whic makes it nice for mounting in a panorama head. Panorama done with the K-01: Stevns-Fyr_2435-Pano-web | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

05-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Pentax cameras generally underexpose to preserve highlights which means you need to compensate when shooting jpegs or pp. I do it in post. The shots you show of the G1X have some blown highlights but also look brighter.

Have you thought about the Q? It has come down in price to $400-500 I think which is now reasonable for what it is. It is also miniscule, well built and I have seen some nice results from it

Last edited by Deimos; 05-26-2012 at 08:16 AM.
05-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, the Q never came to my attention - and I'm sure my whife don't want interchangeable lenses. Personally I certainly won't either - not for our holiday pocket camera. If I want to carry a camera bag, l'll bring the K-5. And I dont want a camera bag on the beach, in an amusemant park, in the forrest or in the mountains. When I'm on my own - YES. But when I'm with my whife and kids - no thanks. And I do want an optical viewfinder! I bought a pop-up shade for the K-01. It helps a little - but when it's very bright behind me, I still can't see what I'm aiming at. The Canon G1X is close to perfect concept for a compact camera, I guess. Pentax shoud make one just like this.

Jens

Last edited by Photodana; 05-26-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: errors
05-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
The Canon G1X is close to perfect concept for a compact camera, I guess. Pentax shoud make one just like this.
Canon already made one just like that.
05-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter

No, the Q never came to my attention - and I'm sure my whife don't want interchangeable lenses. Personally I certainly won't either - not for our holiday pocket camera. If I want to carry a camera bag, l'll bring the K-5. And I dont want a camera bag on the beach, in an amusemant park, in the forrest or in the mountains. When I'm on my own - YES. But when I'm with my whife and kids - no thanks. And I do want an optical viewfinder! I bought a pop-up shade for the K-01. It helps a little - but when it's very bright behind me, I still can't see what I'm aiming at. The Canon G1X is close to perfect concept for a compact camera, I guess. Pentax shoud make one just like this.

Jens
Well I hardly think you would need camera bag for a Q Maybe a shirt pocket

Pentax makes a real compact camera: The Q is like half the size of the G1x! But no OVF
http://camerasize.com/compare/#190,257

Last edited by Deimos; 05-27-2012 at 09:47 AM.
05-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Banned

Photos: Albums
the camera AE chose the settings, In my experience Pentax cameras often choose rather (too) slow shutter speeds. That's fine for landscape etc., but might be a problem, when pepole are in the frame.

Ironically I've never run into this one in any non-flash mode; using any of the settings on the mode dial with the Pentax K-01. But i'll also research it further in the next few days; but then again one would normally think that in the 2k++ pics that I've taken I would've normally noticed.