Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would never have left the store with the second camera till I had checked it out in front of the clerk and no way with the third on. I would probably insisted the clerk do it before me. If for no other reason than to show it wasn't me doing something wrong and was the camera. Or find out it is me and get me corrected.

05-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-01 might not look nice (to some anyway), but it's a very well made lens. Many of my friends bought it, none of them ever reported any problem yet (other than the once-in-a-while-lock-up proble). I do feel it's due to either user error or really really bad luck.
05-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robski Quote
Hell no! The switch hasnt been been set to MF in any cases. Even with the other 2 new cameras. All were on the 'AF' mode. You turn the camera on, and the mode on the LCD is 'MF'. Must be a southern hemisphere manufacturing jinx
You misunderstood the question. The question was whether you are turning the focus ring while the camera was set to af. It would easy to do so with a lens like the da40xs and say to break the camera if you thought turning the focus rig was how you mounted the lens.
05-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #19

Original Poster
Whoa....I am surprised at how agro & aggressive some of the comments have been. Even to the point of conspiracy theories, and that a 'canon' user would never sell their gear for a K-01. My canon 'gear' was a camera, not a system.
And to all the lovely people making accusations & so forth , I do plan on keeping my K-01, I absolutely dig it beyond belief. My only gripe was that it may take 6 weeks to fix, and i only have an iphone camera till I get it back
Anyway, On the 3rd camera, I did not touch it, I let the sales assistant do everything. He ws completely baffled, he even called over more experienced sales assistants & they couldnt work it out either. I will be hounding Pentax Australia for answer, so as soon as I get their breakdown I shall post it up.
Cheers...

05-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
Remember that one must clearly turn the Pentax K-01 off before attempting to taking off any lens - and it must remain off when the body does not have a lens attached to it
05-27-2012, 05:04 AM   #21
D0n
Banned

Whoa....I am surprised at how agro & aggressive some of the comments have been. Even to the point of conspiracy theories, and that a 'canon' user would never sell their gear for a K-01. My canon 'gear' was a camera, not a system.
And to all the lovely people making accusations & so forth , I do plan on keeping my K-01, I absolutely dig it beyond belief. My only gripe was that it may take 6 weeks to fix, and i only have an iphone camera till I get it back
Anyway, On the 3rd camera, I did not touch it, I let the sales assistant do everything. He ws completely baffled, he even called over more experienced sales assistants & they couldnt work it out either. I will be hounding Pentax Australia for answer, so as soon as I get their breakdown I shall post it up.
Cheers...
to his credit, he also seemed to think he was aggressive and tried to remove that remark and it only appears because it had been quoted...
05-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's nothing personal here - I just don't believe your story the way you've told it. I can't think of a statistically probable way it could be true. Applying Occam's Razor, D0n's explanation is the simplest explanation. I deleted my more flamboyant and suspicious explanation.

I'm interested to learn the outcome.

05-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are supposed to turn the K-01 off before changing lenses? Only did that about half the time I shot one. Nothing stopped working. Strange.

Hope this is an isolated problem. With so many parts in a modern camera there is always the chance for failure. We don't even know if the lens or body is the culprit. Hang in there Robski. The K-01 is worth the fight.

Robski, just wondering what color were the cameras?
thanks
barondla
05-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's nothing personal here - I just don't believe your story the way you've told it.
Like someone said, having 3 camera's with precisely the same problem we have never heard about on this forum is indeed hard to believe.

Not saying he is lying but i hope he sees where the scepticism comes from.
05-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #25

If the AF Drive Motor is broken, the camera will just keep on supplying power and wait for the lens to achieve focus.

The camera will only display MF if the switch or the lens is telling the processor not to drive focus.
05-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the first thread I have ever read here about a drive motor possibly going bad. Personally, I would have left the lens with the second camera body, so that the repair center would have access to the set.

05-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the 3rd camera, I did not touch it, I let the sales assistant do everything. He ws completely baffled, he even called over more experienced sales assistants & they couldnt work it out either. I will be hounding Pentax Australia for answer, so as soon as I get their breakdown I shall post it up. Cheers...
Exactly what I ,and would have done. I am curious as to the outcome also
05-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #28
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
You are supposed to turn the K-01 off before changing lenses? Only did that about half the time I shot one. Nothing stopped working. Strange

A lot of people (even well seasoned pros) miss that one - it's a common type of oversight.

In the printed and online manuals it's generally started to be refered to on page 47; and more specifically it receives a type of flag warning on page 48 - where it specifically states; do not remove lens with power on.

Speculation here; but it may also have to do with a cautionary item - as the sensor is blocked when the camera is turned off - to my understanding on any variation of the Pentax K-01. But also; technically if one would remove a lens on the K-01 with power on; it might cause a lock up, possilby even the need to go back to factory settings (reboot??).

Now I have seen cameras in general lock up when leaving the power on and changing lens'. It might also be a bit more common when the camera and lens names don't quite match.

In closing for now... Some have criticized the overall stlye of the Pentax K-01 owners manual. Perhaps it may be in need of minor refinement. But I also find it strange that a somewhat interesting warnng such as this (that very well may effect camera operation - otherwise why did it receive the caution flag and so many mentions??) is placed way back at these numbered pages.
05-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-01 I have was a camera shop demo unit with around 8500 pictures on it. So imagine how this camera and the 40mm XS was handled for however many months they had it. We can assume it had the lens removed hundreds of times as well as having various shop lenses connected to it. We can also assume the camera had the lenses removed when the camera was on.

That being said, the camera and lens have been working fine for me so far.

The only explanations I could think of would be:
- A bad part was used in those cameras that were sent to Australia.
- User error such as trying to force the focus ring back and forth when AF is enabled.
- A false statement. The anonymity of the Internet make this easy.

All I can say that that the K-01 that I have works and I'm sure it was put through quite a bit of use before I got my hands on it. It doesn't make the original poster's statement true or false, but it does say the K-01 isn't a camera that is designed to fail so easily.
05-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree with sjwaldron. If this camera self destructs because lenses were interchanged while camera was on, we are in big trouble.
thanks
barondla
Closed Thread