Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-01 worth buying if you already have K-5 in the family?

I've upgraded from K-20d to K-5 late last year, then saw the K-01 appear on the market not long after.
Since I can use existing K mount I am tempted to get the K-01 for my wife who wants something;
  • easier to use than DSLR,
  • take good video and
  • physical size smaller than DSLR.
I don't think usability is a critical issue because she already takes better photos than me with my K-5 but the size does matter.
She really liked the Olympus Pen but E-P1 had terrible video (recording duration wise) so that had to go.
For seasoned mirrorless users out there, is K-01 + 40mm XS combination something you could carry everyday? both size and weight...

Reading the stats/specs from official site is one thing, actually carrying it in the bag everyday is another...

Also on review sites, it is not THAT much smaller than K-5... given the portability and existing K-5, is K-01 worthwhile?

Last edited by dartagnon; 05-29-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: missed one of key points.
05-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K-7 and I just bought a K-01 (with DA40mm xs) for my wife. I agree with your assessment that the K-01easier to use than DSLR,
  • easier to use than DSLR,
  • take good video and
  • physical size smaller than DSLR

Together with the DA40mm xs, the K-01 is really a small package compared to the K-7/K-5.

I would add further :
  • interchangeability of lenses,
  • interchangeability of accessories such as battery charger, SD card, ...
  • excellent IQ compared to other smaller cameras.

I am travelling with my family and the interchangeability of accessories between K-7/K-5 and K-01 means that my wife and myself can share many accessories incl. lenses, battery charger, spare cards, ... Altogether we will travel lighter.

Hope that the comment may help.

Last edited by hcc; 05-30-2012 at 06:50 AM.
05-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes!!!!!!
05-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-5 and a K-01. It is a sweet combination and the capabilities of the two complement each other brilliantly.
I don't have the DA40XS, but with the DA40 ltd the K-01 fits in a big pocket or smallish hand bag very nicely.

05-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #5

I recently travelled with the K-01 and the size compared to an SLR makes a huge difference (even if reviews seem to always complain about the size)! Especially with the 40mm XS, it's much easier to put into a small bag than an SLR.
I think it's one of the best choices out there with a large-ish sensor if you want to travel light
05-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would say yes, so she doesn't have to touch your K5
05-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 to all above (K10D+grip and K-01). My travel kit is K-01 / DA40/2.8 Ltd., F35~70 and F70~210. The two F's go in my carry-on bag in lens cases, the K-01 and DA40 stays in my briefcase all the time.

I use the K10D (and will use its coming replacement body) for longer lenses and whenever I need PDAF or the extra buttons and functions.

You will be better off than me since you can share so much across both bodies - my travel choice is either/or.

05-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My (minimum) travel kit depends on likely prevailing conditions:

Bushwalk in south-west Tasmania = K-5 + AA battery grip + DA*16-50 + DA*60-250 + maybe DFA100WR for flowers
Urban jungle = K-01 + DA21 + DA40 + DA70 + maybe DA55-300 if more reach is needed

Mind you, I managed to get away with the K-01 (and extreme caution) at Iguazu Falls. Man, it was wet there....
05-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have both the K-5 and K-01 and like some others said, I think they complement each other. I bought mine with the 40XS lens with the intention of selling it (already have the FA 43) but two months later, I still own it. The size with it on can't be beat and so even though it might not be optically the first thing I would choose, when I'm in a situation where I need the smallest package I can get, it's there to help (with the 40XS lens on the camera, I can easily fit it into a camera case the was bought for a Canon G10 P&S.)

It's a polarizing camera on the boards, but in real world use it's mostly just fun!
06-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
It's a polarizing camera on the boards, but in real world use it's mostly just fun!
Precisely my take. We (and critics) review this camera as if it should compare to a dSLR. I don't think that's its purpose. It is a very high quality camera, compact in useable form, that is a LOT of fun to use.
06-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #11

I've handled the entire Pentax line at a recent photography show (including the 645d) and own a K5. It is smaller than the K5 and lighter as well. If size is your concern since you plan to stick a 40mm on it, why not choose something smaller that takes just as good pictures? The Canon S95 or S100 are both cheaper, take amazing photos (I own a S90 and can attest to this) and both much smaller.

So why are you considering the K01? If you are going to keep a 40mm on it for size issues, get a smaller camera like the Canon (which has a 30-something mm lens equivalent if I remember correctly). If you plan on swapping lenses, size can't be that much of an issue. In that case, I would just buy another K5 or K30. In your case, I can't justify the purchase of a K01 unless you really really want to stay within Pentax. Especially given the performance of some of the smaller extremely high quality point and shoots. Even a G12 is smaller.

Unless you're just trying to justify a K01 purchase
06-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GnipGnop Quote
I've handled the entire Pentax line at a recent photography show (including the 645d) and own a K5. It is smaller than the K5 and lighter as well. If size is your concern since you plan to stick a 40mm on it, why not choose something smaller that takes just as good pictures? The Canon S95 or S100 are both cheaper, take amazing photos (I own a S90 and can attest to this) and both much smaller.

So why are you considering the K01? If you are going to keep a 40mm on it for size issues, get a smaller camera like the Canon (which has a 30-something mm lens equivalent if I remember correctly). If you plan on swapping lenses, size can't be that much of an issue. In that case, I would just buy another K5 or K30. In your case, I can't justify the purchase of a K01 unless you really really want to stay within Pentax. Especially given the performance of some of the smaller extremely high quality point and shoots. Even a G12 is smaller.

Unless you're just trying to justify a K01 purchase
If you have a K5 you no doubt have Pentax lenses. How do you mount your Pentax lenses to those other cameras?

Last edited by monochrome; 06-01-2012 at 01:46 PM.
06-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #13

You don't. But if you plan on mounting your pentax lenses to your K01, you are increasing the size and portability of it (aside from the 40mm). If size is important, there are better options than a K01 IMO. If size is not important and you plan on using your other pentax lenses, why get the K01 when there are other better options like another (used) K5 or a K30?

I assumed your question was in meant to be taken generally.

I obviously don't use my pentax lenses on my K5. The S90 is the "small and portable never leave home without it" camera. The K5 is for more conscious endeavors.

Last edited by GnipGnop; 06-01-2012 at 11:57 AM.
06-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all the information everyone! It has been very helpful.
The reason I asked the question was if K-01 was worthwhile purchase given that I already had K-5 (implying multiple k mount lenses and accessories including batteries).
I was worried about the size of K-01 but looks like many owners do find it smaller and portable than DSLR, especially with the XS lens.

@GnipGnop: My wife doesn't want to carry extra lenses so keeping one lens all the time is not a problem. I agree with you on the point that I could get something smaller from a different brand/system altogether for extra portability, and my last such attempt was Olympus PEN with a pancake lens. But then I soon realised there was a merit in sticking to one system to minimise capital expenditures. Although K30 sounds very tempting, she might say 'another DSLR?'
06-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #15
Banned

Keep your wife happy! keep Pentax happy! Buy K-01.

I sold the 40mm xs lens and kept the 40mm Ltd lens instead. The Ltd is better in image quality and comes with a hood. I also have some 49mm filters. But the 40mm xs is still a fine lens and for the money the kitpack costs I would buy it along with the body.

It is small enough to carry around. It delivers very nice image quality. The videoperformance is to my likings.