Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Agreed on the K-01, Disagree on the Q - have you actually tried one?
Yes. Excellent build quality. Lovely form factor.

Terrible sensor size for the price.

Despite a price reduction it is still not the camera Pentax needs for a premium compact, ILC or not.

The K01 is similarly crippled.

Both are V.1.0. Both need revisions. Basic concepts sound.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 06-06-2012 at 12:06 PM.
06-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Oh, I don't disagree with that, in fact if I had the money I would probably get one. It's just that outside of the MF lens hoarding pentaxians, I don't see this appealing to a lot of outsiders.
Perhaps Pentax tried to combine something new (Fashion Week hipsters) with a backstop as a MF-optimized body. They didn't tell us who the camera was really for and they didn't really optimize for either target. We've always known quirky sometimes means bad decisions - look at the first iteration of the Subaru crossover Tribeca. Now it isn't such a bad vehicle.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Both are V.1.0. Both need revisions. Basic concepts sound.
Coming from you that is a qualified endorsement. We'll wait to see what comes in v.2

Last edited by monochrome; 06-06-2012 at 12:11 PM.
06-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And one other quibble about Pentax's design and market efforts:

The Q has an external viewfinder option, but the K-01 does not.

Both are mirrorless but the K-01 has much greater need for one than the Q given the K-mount target market which has always had some sort of eye-level VF.

The mirrorless market has always been ambiguous about eye-level VFs, and in most compacts, they've been eliminated entirely.

Another Pentax design/marketing disconnect.

Bizarre.

At least when Olympus comes out with a new camera system, like the OM-D, they prep it fully with a market-tested line of accessories and supplements that coincides with the target buyers.

Seeing the K-01 and the OM-D come out so close together, and what they offer, one can really see the difference between the thought and effort between the 2 company's products and how they are placed and marketed.
06-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
And one other quibble about Pentax's design and market efforts:

The Q has an external viewfinder option, but the K-01 does not.

Both are mirrorless but the K-01 has much greater need for one than the Q given the K-mount target market which has always had some sort of eye-level VF.

The mirrorless market has always been ambiguous about eye-level VFs, and in most compacts, they've been eliminated entirely.

Another Pentax design/marketing disconnect.

Bizarre.

At least when Olympus comes out with a new camera system, like the OM-D, they prep it fully with a market-tested line of accessories and supplements that coincides with the target buyers.

Seeing the K-01 and the OM-D come out so close together, and what they offer, one can really see the difference between the thought and effort between the 2 company's products and how they are placed and marketed.
Agreed the K-01 should at least of had optional EVF (like the GXR one which apparently is very good, and is already developed for petes sake, how hard could it have been)

Oly had to go whole hog on the OMD it is their upper end model (which the K-01 most definitely is not) and since they have pretty much killed DSLR they needed a semi pro model at minimum
Pentax already has that covered in DSLR
Saw an OMD the other day, pretty nice but i would likely want it with the grip which defeats the small size thing anyway. from a performance standpoint it seems ok from the tests i've seen but i think the K-01 easily beats it on iq (and dof) and in the right hands can be an excellent performer (Christine Tham posted some very good shots with the one she just got)