Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The DPreview.com review is a great disappointment IMHO because of the lack of originality. It is in fact a reworded review made by DCResource.com. I do not have an issue with the review by DCResource, but DPreview simply shows a lack of creativity, originality and integrity.

My 5 cents...
it's like a complete cut and paste job. Are they related sites?? or possibly the DPR reviewer was the same guy

05-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it's like a complete cut and paste job. Are they related sites?? or possibly the DPR reviewer was the same guy
From the intro:

"In the third of our collaborative reviews with the Digital Camera Resource Page's Jeff Keller, we look at Pentax's first large-sensor mirrorless camera, the 16MP APS-C K-01."
05-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I think the K-01 is a camera totally designed for current Pentaxians...not that there is anything wrong with that. Pentaxians tend to have a large stable of legacy manual focus lenses. And thats where this camera shines. If you raaarely shoot moving subjects and prefer MF, then this can be a real winner.
And that is where the K-5 is a let down in my opinion, manual focusing. So both of these cameras can complement each other well.
05-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I think the K-01 is a camera totally designed for current Pentaxians...not that there is anything wrong with that. Pentaxians tend to have a large stable of legacy manual focus lenses. And thats where this camera shines. If you raaarely shoot moving subjects and prefer MF, then this can be a real winner.
And that is where the K-5 is a let down in my opinion, manual focusing. So both of these cameras can complement each other well.
As an owner, the K-01 is an outstanding MF camera, especially for users who wear eyeglasses. It is also quite handy for casual photography where you want something better than PnS snapshots, but don't need a full dSLR.

I believe Pentax implied the latter in thier initial Fashion Industry marketing efforts - which appears to be the reason the hired Mark Newson to design the body. I wish they had expressly marketed the camera's feature set to the MF sub-set of legacy users.

05-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
Banned

Original Poster
Some Nex-5N fan on DPR Pentax SLR Talk was mad that I posted photos of it with large lenses like the 35mm F1.4 compared to my K-01 with 85mm F1.4 so I posted photos of both with 18-55mm kit lens and the 5N lens had smaller 49mm filter size compared to 52mm on the Pentax.

05-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #21

Glad to see they called Pentax out on the AF issues - I've reported similar bugs to Pentax directly, but no word yet on a fix (they just have a sample photo).

The size/lens + SR tradeoff isn't very well discussed in any of these reviews, but I give them points for at least indicating the upsides - most reviews just look at the negatives.
05-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Luck of the Draw?

I don't know if I just got really lucky with my K-01, but I honestly do not feel that I have AF issues at the level they seem to be made out to be by some. Now admittedly, I haven't done a lot of testing with my 18-55mm and 50-200 because I don't use them a whole lot (though the one or two times I did I felt happy with the 18-55 and the 50-200 was a little slow.) For instance, I just pointed the camera under my computer desk into the darkest corner (no other lights on, just some post-sunset glow from the windows) and with the DA55 lens on it, it locked focus on the power strip and took the shot fine and in focus (ISO 3200.) The only time I have ever really noticed it struggle is if the subject has no contrast, like a white wall. But then that's not really a practical concern as I don't really take pictures of white walls except when I'm screwing around indoors when I should be outside taking photos

In my opinion, I get more shots properly focused with the K-01 than I do with my K-5 (perhaps that says more about my k-5?) Yeah, depending on the lens it can be a bit slower, but I'd rather have a focused shot than "quick focus" with blurry results.

Also I'm surprised by the reviewers issues with the lenses. I know that QC can be an issue but in ten years or so of buying over two dozen Pentax lenses, I've only received one that was bad and had to be returned (It was sold "new" by a major online retailer but when I received it, it had someone else's online receipt in the box... apparently someone else ordered it, tried it, and returned it and they sold it to me. Tests quickly showed de-centering issues and it went back with a note asking them not to resell it.) Anyway, it just seems that the odds of the reviewer having so many issues would be pretty small and certainly doesn't match my experiences.

Sometimes I think I find the most "issues" when I'm sitting around "testing" cameras and lenses in ways I'd never actually use them.

Just my thoughts. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by sunny16; 05-31-2012 at 07:34 PM.
05-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I was expecting the K-01 to get a 71% at least because of the incredible IQ. Seems they preferred highlighting the bad points instead of the good ones. Well, people are people, not really much to complain about.
06-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If the K-01 had:

1) Better AF
2) Port for an external EVF
3) Articulating LCD
4) More traditional styling/ergonomics

It would have scored much, much higher based on its IQ for value.

Ding it for its size but you'd lose k-mount compatibility, which is what the K-01 is supposed to be all about.

The review is fair IMO and the K-01 actually escapes with a decent score. Personally I think the K-01 is a fail, although not an epic fail like the Q. The K01 is salvageable with the mods I note above, and the Q needs a much larger sensor and lower price.
06-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If the K-01 had:

1) Better AF
2) Port for an external EVF
3) Articulating LCD
4) More traditional styling/ergonomics

It would have scored much, much higher based on its IQ for value.

Ding it for its size but you'd lose k-mount compatibility, which is what the K-01 is supposed to be all about.

The review is fair IMO and the K-01 actually escapes with a decent score. Personally I think the K-01 is a fail, although not an epic fail like the Q. The K01 is salvageable with the mods I note above, and the Q needs a much larger sensor and lower price.
Agreed on the K-01, Disagree on the Q - have you actually tried one? I did and was very impressed with it (and annoyed that i took my time and Jezza323 from the forum beat me to the CL deal i was watching - that is the one i tried after he bought it). now that the base price is 499 or so it is a very good value camera. It was not however designed for our market but the Asian one where it has done quite well. I would not call that an epic fail. In fact it has sold better than the K-01 AFAIK so in fact the k-01 must also be an epic fail by your reasoning
06-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #26
Pentaxian

In fact it has sold better than the K-01 AFAIK so in fact the k-01 must also be an epic fail by your reasoning
The Q always shows up on the bcnranking.jp rankings. Not very high up, but the white double kit is #45 on May's ranking (????????????????BCN?????????), the black double kit at #62, the limited silver at #78. Not a big seller, but certainly not an epic fail. The K01 is far below the visible top 80 models...
06-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The Q always shows up on the bcnranking.jp rankings. Not very high up, but the white double kit is #45 on May's ranking (????????????????BCN?????????), the black double kit at #62, the limited silver at #78. Not a big seller, but certainly not an epic fail. The K01 is far below the visible top 80 models...
I like the K-01 myself, but I'm not sure of what the market is. On the Q I saw the market rationalization right away and the BCN number bear out that idea (and BCN is just Japan, i understand it has done well in most of Asia)
06-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I like the K-01 myself, but I'm not sure of what the market is.
The K-01's market is current K-mount users and primarily manual focus shooters...
Which is a real small community as it turns out.
06-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The K-01's market is current K-mount users and primarily manual focus shooters...
Which is a real small community as it turns out.
Small market - yep - but some of us in that market really like the camera
06-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Small market - yep - but some of us in that market really like the camera
Oh, I don't disagree with that, in fact if I had the money I would probably get one. It's just that outside of the MF lens hoarding pentaxians, I don't see this appealing to a lot of outsiders.