Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Some "street" photos (actually taken at Lavender Bay)

Camera focus speed and response time is slow - so I wouldn't really consider it optimal for street photography (I far prefer the super-responsive NEX-5N), but I managed to get by with a few shots:

When the owner of the dog realised I was trying to take photos, the owner got the dog to pose for me:

I saw this wedding couple getting ready for some shots at Luna Park:

And managed to take this photo:

Speaking of Luna Park, I quite like the composition of this one:

I doctored this shot to get a sunset glow:

But ended up preferring a black and white version (taken from a slightly different angle):

06-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Hmmm, to my untrained eyes these photos look nice.

Even though it's quite a small camera it's nice to see those fuzzy backgrounds.

I'm sure some intellectual on this site will inform me of how bad these photos are since they're from a k-01 and how I'm not qualified to judge anything.
06-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Merci ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Some "street" photos (actually taken at Lavender Bay) ...
Bonjour Christine,

Thanks for your images ... quite good to my untrained eyes as well.

Salut, John
06-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Christine - these are wonderful. Street #! really strikes me! Based on my experience with a K-01 these images show once again that the gear is irrelevant. The photographer makes the images.

06-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Christine, do you find the lack of a viewfinder to be anything of an issue while using this camera?

I like the look of it, just wondering if that would be a limiting factor in any common usage.

(Note to any others ready to jump in, NOT a criticism of camera, just a QUESTION!!!)
06-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Christine, do you find the lack of a viewfinder to be anything of an issue while using this camera?

I like the look of it, just wondering if that would be a limiting factor in any common usage.

(Note to any others ready to jump in, NOT a criticism of camera, just a QUESTION!!!)
I like the freedom of not holding a camera to my eye, it allows me to take shots from non-traditional perspectives and angles.

I find a traditional optical viewfinder very limiting now.

Especially with the Sony NEX-5N and it's articulating screen, I have taken photos with the camera high above me, and also at ground level, also turned 90 degrees etc.

On the K-01, I also enjoy some of these freedoms. But I find the LCD screen a bit dim in bright sunlight - the NEX-5N automatically compensates but the K-01 doesn't seem to (anyone knows if there is a setting? I haven't read the manual yet LOL)

One thing I DON'T like about not having a viewfinder is that holding the camera accentuates my shaky hands. Holding the camera close to my eyes help control the shakiness, but not as much as when using a viewfinder.
06-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the K-01, I also enjoy some of these freedoms. But I find the LCD screen a bit dim in bright sunlight - the NEX-5N automatically compensates but the K-01 doesn't seem to (anyone knows if there is a setting? I haven't read the manual yet LOL)
There is an LCD Brightness control.

Setup 1 >> 4-Way > >> [LCD Display Settings] >> 4-Way (dn) [Brightness Level].

Default is Medium. Move the slider all the way to the right for brightest setting - I've had no trouble using the LCD in bright light

06-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There is an LCD Brightness control.

Setup 1 >> 4-Way > >> [LCD Display Settings] >> 4-Way (dn) [Brightness Level].

Default is Medium. Move the slider all the way to the right for brightest setting - I've had no trouble using the LCD in bright light
Thanks a lot.

Although judging by the way the weather has turned, I don't think I will be needing to adjust anything for the next few days :cry:
06-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some more shots from yesterday, if anyone is still interested :-)

This is actually the first non-test shot I took on the K-01 - I wanted to take something pink!

The next three B&W photos are from Clark Park:

By the way, just to clarify, the "grain" in these photos are simulated (particularly the last one). The original Raws were shot in low ISO and exhibit no noise.

This one didn't come off as well as I thought it would - any suggestions for improvement?
06-05-2012, 03:48 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Last one in landscape/portrait rather than tilted- the titling just makes it queasy as there are vertical frames of references there (ie the bridge).

Interesting your thoughts on use as you have used so many recent types of camera. Have you used it with any primes? Interested if this speeds up the use.
06-05-2012, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Interesting your thoughts on use as you have used so many recent types of camera. Have you used it with any primes? Interested if this speeds up the use.
All those photos were taken on the FA43.
06-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the freedom of not holding a camera to my eye, it allows me to take shots from non-traditional perspectives and angles.
I've found I prefer using the LCD over an OVF for most shots. Cradling as an SLR with the left palm under the body, light right hand grip, elbows in at the sides and a firm stance I can reduce the "hand shakes" effectively.

Some more shots from yesterday, if anyone is still interested :-)
I'm always interested in seeing your photos - I really like your ideas on composition (2), color balance (highlighting colored objects by using gray and muted color space) - (1, 4) and execution. I always learn from looking at your work.

Especially anything in pink. They should have made a pink K-01.

It isn't you. The disinterest reflects the K-01, an object of utter derision for months now, subsumed by the ravenous speculative threads on the K-30, K-1 and D-LX.

Please, keep posting images.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-05-2012 at 12:27 PM.
06-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I've found this to be true as well. I've seen a difference with my K-01 photos because it automatically brings a different perspective on things.

I use two cameras at the same time a lot, so sometimes I seem to automatically try to hold the K-01 up like a VF camera and the K-5 down like an LCD camera. It's kind of funny.

The K-01 with the 14mm lens and K-5 with the 55mm lens feels like a pretty strong combination for events I've been going to.
06-05-2012, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm always interested in seeing your photos - I really like your ideas on composition (2), color balance (highlighting colored objects by using gray and muted color space) - (1, 4) and execution. I always learn from looking at your work.
Thanks very much for your comments. I'm not conscious of my own technique (I don't actually explicitly analyse my shots - I kind of walk around and take anything that catches my fancy).

I'm a compulsive photographer - I remember averaging well over 100 shots a day on my K-5 last year, and this year I suspect my average across all my cameras is even higher.

So after a while I instinctively know what shots I like and what I don't, so my keeper rate is higher, which allows me to experiment more with wilder perspectives. Doesn't always work, but I end up having a lot of fun regardless.

I'm still trying to keep an open mind about the K-01. I bought it originally as a body for my MF lenses. Will take it out for a spin one day (when the weather clears) with my A series lenses and will see how focus peaking works.
06-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought it originally as a body for my MF lenses. Will take it out for a spin one day (when the weather clears) with my A series lenses and will see how focus peaking works.
You might be surprised by how good focus peaking can be with manual lenses. I have a number of K's I've acquired over the years and an A zoom.

I've watched the peaks move in and out along the pistil and petal of a hibiscus at 4x LCD magnification. I've also watched multiple objects in one plane in focus while other planes are OOF and my subject not quite entirely in focus (prompting aperture manipulation). Perhaps it is an analog for perpetual DoF preview. These are things I cannot do well (at all, actually) in a digital OVF (but strangely I can do them in my KX and KM and LX viewfinders just fine).

K-01 is quirky and imperfect but can be salvaged with some work. Even this iteration is very useful in my case. A K-5 or its replacement with K-01 focus peaking would be better.

As far as your photographs - If you are really just goofing, I hope some day my natural eye is as good as yours.