Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #31
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I'm still trying to keep an open mind about the K-01. I bought it originally as a body for my MF lenses. Will take it out for a spin one day (when the weather clears) with my A series lenses and will see how focus peaking works.

This is also the main reason why I purchasing my Pentax K-01 - for the manual focus and other manual settings. I personally do not mind having any manual lens on the camera - regardless of size or weight of the lens. As a matter of fact - it would be difficult to match the optical performance of any of the manual focus Zeiss lens with any non full frame camera.

06-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series of shot's Christine. I haven't grabbed a K-01 more for the fact that it would require me to put my glasses on to shoot, once i need full time glasses that will change. Right now I m better with the OVF and a diopter add on to cover my prescription.
It's good to hear pros and cons from someone who has shot so many of the various systems)
the FA43 seems to sing on the K-01 though. (as did that flower shot with the 21)
I'm glad to see focus peaking migrating to the new models because i would like that on fast lenses (it would be nice if it was active in video mode)
06-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wasn't going to buy it (until it was on sale, and perhaps even never) but after handling another Pentaxian's K-01 on Tue, I was hooked. It seemed a lot better than the reviews suggested.

Anyway, I paid $599 for the body and kit zoom - I have no idea if that is a good price but it seems inexpensive (that's the same price as the NEX-5N body!)

Looking forward to using it.

Well my yellow K-01 came in yesterday, so I'm with you on this now
06-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Took the DA*50-135 to the zoo yesterday and it was a disaster. Half the time it wouldn't lock focus on the long end, and generally it was very SLOW.

I yanked out the lens in frustration, switched to the A135 and had a better time. Manual focus was definitely faster than the K-01 and SDM :-(

Haven't processed the photos yet (I now have a backlog of about 30 Gb of photos to process) so I guess I will find out how effective my manual focusing was in due course.

06-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Interesting. I mainly use the the K-01 with little primes, but it worked very well together with my Sigma 17-50 HSM on my recent trip to Argentina. AF works quite reasonably with my DA*55 SDM too.
Maybe Argentinian zoo animals are a lot slower than the Tarongans
06-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Right now I'm shooting my K-01 with two lenses mainly, my voigtlander ultron sl2 and tamron 18-250 superzoom. Both seem to be working great for me, the tamron is pure disaster when using indoors except on the wide end, I'm mainly rocking the voigt though and manual focus is a dream, even in bright light I can still see the highlights of the focus peaking, I even find the focus peaking useful with auto focus as the tammy super zoom doesnt have the greatest auto focus and I can tell real quick if the image needs to be refocused.

06-10-2012, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Maybe Argentinian zoo animals are a lot slower than the Tarongans
It wasn't really the speed of the animals - the camera just refuses to focus half the time on the long end of the zoom. I think the short end was fine, but I was mostly shooting at the long end.

Here's some shots from the DA* 50-135 before I lost patience:

By contrast (pun intended), manual focusing on the A135 was a joy and I found focus peaking a fantastic focusing aid.

It's so easy to dial in exactly the right focus (and SO much faster than AF!):

06-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #38
Site Supporter

It wasn't really the speed of the animals - the camera just refuses to focus half the time on the long end of the zoom. I think the short end was fine, but I was mostly shooting at the long end.

Here's some shots from the DA* 50-135 before I lost patience:

By contrast (pun intended), manual focusing on the A135 was a joy and I found focus peaking a fantastic focusing aid.

It's so easy to dial in exactly the right focus (and SO much faster than AF!)
Thanks for your experiences ... the focus peaking sounds great! J

06-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Hi Christine,
well the AF is slow, and specially on that slow 50-135mm lens I guess. The AF is pretty quick on my FA*85mm and even my DA*55mm is surprisingly fast (for a slow sdm lens). So it is in part of wich lens you use and what you like to take pictures of.

I had one K-01 on loan for a while and did use several lenses on it. It workt very well for most of my lenses by daylight (even good for DA*300mm), but it didn't liked my Sigma 70-200mm lens. In low light the fast lenses that I have kept working very well (with the AF assist light) and very accurate, but slow lenses would tend to fail I guess.

Yesterday I used my yellow K-01 for wich it was intended. A commercial shoot for a jeanswebside with DA*55mm on it:

K-01 Yellow with DA*55mm, set on f11, 1/160th, iso250, 16mp jpg ***, with studioset handled with wireless transmitter.

Since these where only for the webshop I only made them in jpg. I did a tiny little adjustment in PSE7.

The K-01 is very capable, and for the price I paid I only have to go there for a few times.
06-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Had a fun time at the aquarium yesterday with the DA35 Macro (which I bought from elpolodiablo)

I used MF with focus peaking for all the shots. The K-01 seems to have an even better focus peaking implementation than the Sony NEX-5N - it really is a wonderful body for MF lenses.

Hint to Ricoh/Pentax: make a full frame version of the GXR-M, charge whatever you want for it, and I will buy it!!!

And lastly, a woman with the same fashion style as me:
06-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #41

Fabulous pictures everyone!
that tattoo though?....wow
ok, back to lurk mode
06-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Wow! Nice pictures Christine and focus is spot on. I really need peak focusing....
06-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #43
Pentaxian

wow Christine, that are great aquarium pictures. That is where K-01 helps you.
06-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I love the shot of the blue bird!
06-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Yesterday I used my yellow K-01 for wich it was intended. A commercial shoot for a jeanswebside with DA*55mm on it:

The K-01 is very capable, and for the price I paid I only have to go there for a few times.
I have two new dates in my agenda to do some shooting for webside and catalogue, so the K-01 is almost payed for.