Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Okay ... so I bought the K-01

I wasn't going to buy it (until it was on sale, and perhaps even never) but after handling another Pentaxian's K-01 on Tue, I was hooked. It seemed a lot better than the reviews suggested.

Anyway, I paid $599 for the body and kit zoom - I have no idea if that is a good price but it seems inexpensive (that's the same price as the NEX-5N body!)

Looking forward to using it.

05-31-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I wasn't going to buy it (until it was on sale, and perhaps even never) but after handling another Pentaxian's K-01 on Tue, I was hooked. It seemed a lot better than the reviews suggested.

Anyway, I paid $599 for the body and kit zoom - I have no idea if that is a good price but it seems inexpensive (that's the same price as the NEX-5N body!)

Bonjour,

What color and/or is it going to become a special "Hello" edition?! All fun aside, enjoy it and post a sample or more ...

Salut, John le "green with jealousy" Frog
05-31-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

LOL, you're going to have to give it the Christine Tham, "Hello Kitty" make-over now
05-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Anyway, I paid $599 for the body and kit zoom - I have no idea if that is a good price but it seems inexpensive (that's the same price as the NEX-5N body! Looking forward to using it.
Christine,
Congratulations. The K-01 is a great little camera.

The price you paid is a grest, great prices. Personnely I went for the more expensive DA40mm xs.

05-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
I bought my Pentax K-01 the first week; also literally almost the first in line.

Does it hve minor issues (perhaps considered flaws)? Sure.

Does it look quite unique and might not be appealing to everyone? Sure, but I could also say that about the Nikon F, or some of the Leica R series. Darn I can even clearly state that (and also prove it - although I'd disagree) about an american icon - Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. Or how about a Mercedes Gullwing?

Is it perfect? Find me a camera that is.

Even knowing any and all of the issues that exist today. I'd still purchase it all over again; and with no regrets.
05-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I look forward to your review...especially regarding how it handles versus your other MILCs.
I think the fine IQ goes without saying....but I have heard so many mixed reviews regarding the handling and autofocus.
05-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Lens Buying Addict

It is a fun camera, though some of the controls are limited compared to a Pentax dSLR. I hold mine as I would a film SLR, cradled in the left hand, arms braced and looking at the LCD 6" in front of my face. The form feels right when held that way - similar to an MX - and I ahve no trouble with lenses 135mm and shorter.

IMHO much of the criticism of the form and size come either from people who didn't actually try the camera or from people who expected a thin camera. I've always objected to the "pack of cigarettes with a beer can stuck on the front" MILC standard. I like the "box of rice with a Peppermint Pattie stuck on the front" better..
06-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

lol I am surprised that you got that DAL zoom package, thought you said you might go for the DA40XS? Anyway, enjoy it, and post some of your shots from Vivid

06-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Congratulations. Don't be swayed by forum haters. The are roadblocks on the path to the truth.
06-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

At that price it would be hard to resist. As always I will look forward to your photos, regardless of the camera you use. How do the MF focus assist features compare to the NEX?
06-01-2012, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

It's interesting as it seems we Aussies rather like the concept of K-01, unlike our American friends :P
06-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
lol I am surprised that you got that DAL zoom package, thought you said you might go for the DA40XS? Anyway, enjoy it, and post some of your shots from Vivid
I was going to buy body only, but digidirect didn't have body only units left, so they sold me the kit zoom package for $20 more. I figured I could afford to pay $20 for a lens I don't want :-)

Decided against the DA40XS - I didn't really need the lens, and likely will never use it.

Was going to take it for a test drive today, but no time. Maybe tomorrow.

I have way too many toys to play around with at the moment, and not enough time to play with them all. I also bought the Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.2 yesterday, and haven't even unpacked it from the box yet. Also just ordered the Sony 50mm f1.8 and the Sigma 30mm f2.8 from B&H yesterday - shipped this morning - should be getting next week, along with a Summicron 40mm I ordered from KEH. Thought I may as well buy all the toys before my work contract runs out.

Also bought a new bicycle - going out for a test ride this morning.
06-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Christine needs to change her user name to "Shopgirl" lol
06-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I was going to buy body only, but digidirect didn't have body only units left, so they sold me the kit zoom package for $20 more. I figured I could afford to pay $20 for a lens I don't want :-)

Decided against the DA40XS - I didn't really need the lens, and likely will never use it.

Was going to take it for a test drive today, but no time. Maybe tomorrow.

I have way too many toys to play around with at the moment, and not enough time to play with them all. I also bought the Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.2 yesterday, and haven't even unpacked it from the box yet. Also just ordered the Sony 50mm f1.8 and the Sigma 30mm f2.8 from B&H yesterday - shipped this morning - should be getting next week, along with a Summicron 40mm I ordered from KEH. Thought I may as well buy all the toys before my work contract runs out.

Also bought a new bicycle - going out for a test ride this morning.
Put some samples of the Sigma in the NEX thread if you get a chance. I'm thinking it will make a convenient autofocus lens for the NEX. The reviews are pretty good for a $200 lens. I wish I'd bought it instead of the SLR Magic 28/2.8.
06-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally had a chance to take some photos today.

Not sure I should post them in the "best photos" thread, I was mainly playing around. Lens: FA43

First of all, some flower shots:

This one is taken on the DA21, believe it or not: