Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 09:57 PM - 2 Likes   #1

just finished making a leather half case for my K-01

It seems to be impossible to find a decent leather case for the K-01 so I made my own. It's still half in the design stage and I'll have to change a few things around before it's the way I want it to be, but I thought I'd share these photos with you anyway.

This is the first usable prototype I made. It's all hand made from kangaroo leather with red suede lining on the inside.

All stitching is done by hand

I added small buckles on both sides so that the case is properly fixed to the camera.

The back gives access to the screen and buttons but I'll probably make it a bit bigger (higher) for the next version.

I also want to add a permanent grip or hand/finger strap on the side so I don't have to use a separate strap... That's something for the next revision of the case

There are a few more photos on my leatherwork blog: http://highonglue.com/pentax-k-01-leather-half-case/

05-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Love the buckle design, I'm a major fan of leather work, I'd buy a machine and some leather and make my own but I'm just to lazy, so... when the design is perfected please sell me one...
05-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

Very Fankensteinish.

I like it :-)
05-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Looks cool, but I can't help wondering whether digital cams -- especially ones with a screen that is on 100% of the time like the K-01 -- if heat build-up be a problem in hot weather with a black leather case?

06-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice work! Looks great.
06-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks really nice! Sell Pentax the design.
It should be a part of the kit that comes with the camera.
06-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Pretty cool.
I like it, though the sewing needs some improvement...

I played with the idea of getting one and stripping off the rubber before pasting over with brown leather.
Tried that before on a G3, but my cutting sucked....

06-02-2012, 02:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for checking it out!

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Love the buckle design, I'm a major fan of leather work, I'd buy a machine and some leather and make my own but I'm just to lazy, so... when the design is perfected please sell me one...
The whole thing is done without a machine! All done by hand (hence the imperfections in the cut and some of the stitches)

QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
Very Fankensteinish.

I like it :-)
Funny, you're mentioning that! I was thinking that the other day, because once I'm done with all the attachments that I want to put on, you won't have much of the K-01 design left. It's going to be some kind of (ugly) monster for sure!

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Looks cool, but I can't help wondering whether digital cams -- especially ones with a screen that is on 100% of the time like the K-01 -- if heat build-up be a problem in hot weather with a black leather case?
That's a good point and I don't have an answer to that. I have noticed the camera heating up (without a case) in the bright Australian sunlight. Having the case around it makes it harder to notice on your hand but I don't know if it makes the camera more prone to overheating. If anyone knows a good way of testing this, I'd love to know. Overall, I think the camera would shut down anyway if it's too hot, right?

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Looks really nice! Sell Pentax the design.
It should be a part of the kit that comes with the camera.
Yes, that would be nice! hehe

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Pretty cool.
I like it, though the sewing needs some improvement...

I played with the idea of getting one and stripping off the rubber before pasting over with brown leather.
Tried that before on a G3, but my cutting sucked....
Hey, thx for the feedback. Out of curiosity: what is it about the sewing that you don't like?
12-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i want buy one!
12-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool- good job! Start producing these for forum members...
12-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In love it! Very nice work.