Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Glitch in M Mode with Tak Lens

I have had my K-01 of 2 weeks now and I really like it. I haven't even touched my K-5. It is so much easier to use with manual lenses, which brings me to my question. I have a Takumar 50/1.4 mounted on my K-01 right now (with genuine pentax adaptor). When I put the camera in M mode and I press the Green button the meter/exposure seem to freeze. Once I press the green button I cannot adjust the shutter speed and the graph which show the exposure does not change when I move the wheel. I have to turn off the camera and turn it back on again to get it to work. But if I press the green button again it locks up. Can someone else please try this and let me know your results? My takumar lenses also seem to underexpose by 2 stops in M mode but are fine in AV mode? Any advice? Thanks

06-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you configured the green button to act as the green button? It's possible to re-map its function, in which case it would not do what you'd expect it to do in M mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, the green button is configured as "the green Button"
06-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Do you have the latest firmware? Also, does the lens work properly?

06-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
I believe the only firmware available is what comes with the camera. The lens work with no issues on my k-5. It seems to be an issue with the camera because my other Takumar lens causes the same issue.
06-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #6

We discussed this in another thread right after the K-01 came out. The problem occurs with any manual screw-mount lens that doesn't complete contact across the pins on the lens mount--either because the face of the lens mount ring is painted or anodized or because it is too small in diameter to properly contact the camera's pins. It's interesting to note that K-mount manual lenses that have a chrome lens mount work properly with the green button (assuming you have the green button set up to meter manual lenses).

Another poster and I found that a little piece of aluminum foil over one of the pins (I forget right now which one) will allow the camera to recognize the lens and allow the green button to operate without freezing up the controls.

I emailed this problem to Pentax back in April and was told they would pass it on to their techs, but of course haven't heard anything back yet.
06-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #7

I looked back at the previous thread, and it's pin 7 on the face of the camera's lens mount--counting from the bottom.

If the lens doesn't cover or contact the pins on the lens mount, either turn off the Tv Shift function or don't push the green button. Use the exposure scale at the bottom of the view screen to set your exposure. If the lens is large enough to cover the contact pins and is conductive, you won't see the exposure scale, but you will be able to use Tv Shift with the green button.

I've found that using the exposure scale isn't as convenient as the green button, but it does give you more manual control.

Last edited by nparsons13; 06-09-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: cla
06-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks nparsons13. Much appreciated