Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LCD Screen and Sunglasses

Hi....I have a question about the K01. I love cameras with viewfinders, but I also have extremely sensitive eyes to the sun and more often than not wear sunglasses outside in all but the darkest conditions. So I have been thinking about the K01. My question is.....does the screen become dark when looking at it through sunglasses. I know some other cameras that this happens on and it makes the screen almost unusable. Unfortunately, I live at least an hour and a half from a camera store that might carry Pentax, so I don't have the opportunity to hold one at the moment.

Thanks,

Tony A.

06-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Do you wear polarized sunglasses?
06-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think you'll have enough trouble using the LCD screen in bright light without the sunglasses. I have similar issues with my eyes, sunlight is a migraine trigger for me, and I frequently shoot my K-r with dark sunglasses without any trouble, but that's using the optical viewfinder.
06-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
Do you wear polarized sunglasses?
Polarized sunglasses and LCD screens do not go together at all...

06-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Polarized sunglasses and LCD screens do not go together at all...

^This. I can use my K-01 outdoors in almost any light wearing a wide-brimmed hat, but I wear prescription polarized sunglasses. They make the LCD virtually unusable - reminds me of the purple shimmering patterns of the coating on a Takumar lens when viewed from an oblique angle.

My personal solution is to either wear the hat and no sunglasses or wear cheap clip-on green sunglasses with my indoor glasses, which works for me when the LCD is set to its brightest setting.
06-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With my sunglasses the screen goes completely dark when I turn it 90 degrees for a "portrait"-format shot. I haven't had any problem with "landscape" view though.
06-09-2012, 03:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks all. I kind of figured that. I guess I need to get myself down to NYC so that I can play with everything in one of the adult toy stores (aka B&H or Adorama).

Tony A.
06-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Polarized sunglasses will even cause strange artifacts in the viewfinder.
When working in the sun I'll make sure Iwear my non-polarized pair. I'll also use the Hoodman Loupe.
(yeah crazy expensive for a rubber box), but is worth the price when you need to see what you've shot in bright sunlight and are not wearing a dark hoody - in the bright sunlight. :-)
Yeah, lots of cheaper solutions, but for me this has just worked better than other methods I've tried.