Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
bmonki, I don't know what's got you so worked up. I also think the K-01 has had a fair amount of stupid criticisms leveled at it, including comments about it's ergonomics. All I am saying is that Pentax is making three very nice cameras with the same sensor. The new sensor will be a meaningful upgrade from the K20D. But I'm not sure the K-01 is the best upgrade choice for use with those lenses. The OP should try them out in a shop if possible.

I think anyone who has hands is qualified to comment on ergonomics. I've used the grip you describe on occasions. It can be useful for reducing camera shake but it means that you don't have any finger on the back plate, so you have to shift your hands to change most parameters. There are no controls on the front where most of your fingers would be. An advantage is that your suggested grip makes it easier to reach the green button. Ultimately, I don't have a problem with a conventional grip as long as the lens is not too front heavy.

Also, I'm not knocking the camera in general. I like the fact that it's different from other cameras and has great image quality. I'm using it much more than the K20D these days. When I get around to posting a review, it will probably be an 8. That's mainly because of the autofocus and if Pentax can improve it with a firmware update, it'll be a 9.

06-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I have the K20D and the K-01 as my main cameras. They have different sets of strengths, and complement each other well. In low light, stealth (or street), need for video, macro (live view), manual focus, the edge goes to the K-01 (and better pTTL flash if I were to use it). Most other situations, the edge goes to the K20D. I don't find large lenses an issue with the K-01, especially if they have a tripod mount. Most of my balancing of a large lens is with the lens itself (or on the monopod), so the size of the body is a non-issue. It surpises me how many people don't know how to hand hold a large lens for greatest stability; try to avoid stress on the mount system.
06-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all the replies..i'll probably buy a k-01 for my second camera.:-)

Thank you again.