Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

Pentax K20D for K-01?

Hi guys. I would like to get some opinion on the pentax k-01. I have a K20D for almost a year now. I wanted to buy the k-5 but it seems that the price is not going down so much. I was thinking to sell my K20D and buy a K-01. So, should i or not sell my K20D for K-01? One more thing,i have a sigma 70-200 f2.8, and i was thinking how am i going to hold a big lens with a small camera body? will it be difficult to zoom the lens?

Thanks

06-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I used my sigma 70-200 (new OS version) on my loaner K-01 and that was not a fine combination. AF wasn't so great working, so I think you should go and test it first.

Otherwise the K-01 is a fine camera, but not so good for moving objects, because of slow AF.
06-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I used my sigma 70-200 (new OS version) on my loaner K-01 and that was not a fine combination. AF wasn't so great working, so I think you should go and test it first. Otherwise the K-01 is a fine camera, but not so good for moving objects, because of slow AF.
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get my hands on the K-01 and test it myself. Is the AF slow or really slow?
06-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by basikal_kusayang Quote
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to get my hands on the K-01 and test it myself. Is the AF slow or really slow?
Well AF workt better with my Pentax lenses then with the sigma. With fast lenses AF is ok(ish) but with slow lenses it is getting slower.

06-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In all honesty this a personal question and not one we or i at least can answer for you.

To get a sense how the K-01 is like use the K20D with the liveview, the K-01 liveview is better in all ways though but you get a sense how the combination of long lenses and not holding the camera to your face works out.

The k-01 body really isn't that smaller so i don't think the size will really make a big difference.

Anyway wait for the K30 to be released, maybe that will help the price of the k5 a bit
06-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
Well AF workt better with my Pentax lenses then with the sigma. With fast lenses AF is ok(ish) but with slow lenses it is getting slower.
Well,i have a tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a sigma 10-20 as well. So,it will probably going to be slower ( i guess?)..so, is ti worth it to give up my K20D for a K-01?
06-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Anyway wait for the K30 to be released, maybe that will help the price of the k5 a bit
Hopefully ..it seems that the price of the K-5 is not going down :S

06-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've considered something smaller and more agile to supplement the K20D I got 4 years ago (and which still performs just great). The K-01 looks like a possible supplement; so does a NEX, but then I'd never stop buying old lenses...

IMHO the K20D and K-01 aren't really comparable, which is why I say that the K-01 would supplement the K20D, not replace it. The K-01 seems somewhat pocketable with small lenses, and has video and great high-ISO performance. The K20D has pro controls, tethering, and a rugged WR build. Different tools for different tasks.
06-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
IMHO the K20D and K-01 aren't really comparable, which is why I say that the K-01 would supplement the K20D, not replace it. The K-01 seems somewhat pocketable with small lenses, and has video and great high-ISO performance. The K20D has pro controls, tethering, and a rugged WR build. Different tools for different tasks.
I wish more people here had this much common sense about them.
06-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #10

I bought the K-01 to update my 4 yr K20D, but still have it, and am constantly amazed at it's IQ.
The form factors are completely different, and I have to say that the K-01 is not for everyone.
Used with the 18~250, it is tricky using it hand held, but fine on tripod.
Here is an example from the weekend, the intervelometer was really nice to have on hand to
capture some timelapse video sequences.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
06-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
JPT
Pentaxian

I have the K20D and added the K-01 recently. Just looking at the three lenses you listed, I think you need a DSLR to use them comfortably. The K-01 autofocus is not bad with f2.8 lenses but your K20D's PDAF would still be faster and it would be more comfortable to use them because of the shape of the grip.

I would only recommend the K-01 if you want to shift your use more toward small prime lenses. It's very good for that and then it feels significantly more compact than a K20D - more than specs would suggest. Otherwise, stick with the K20D for a while until the K30 is available at the price you want.
06-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 would be a good option since it adds some cool features as well as video. However, I would keep at least one body with a viewfinder.
06-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Man, I feel like everyone who bought K-01 has no clue how to hold it, if you hold it like a regular camera with your index finger on the shutter your wrong... Learn to adapt, not everything is the same, if you cant adapt you shouldnt be doing photography an art form that requires adaptability. Look at the shapes and contours of the k-01, notice how the top slowly rolls into the green and red buttons. It's to be hold like a gaming a controller. You use your thumbs... Are photographers really that friggin stupid that when they get a camera different than anything they have ever held they dont have a clue how to hold it. What I would say to you people, dont ever pick a up a firearm or anything else that can cause bodily harm if you were not given a step by step guide on how to use it. The k-01 works fantastic with long zoom way more balanced than any camera I've used for the simple fact you hold it in a fist and use your thumb to hit the shutter. I was able to hold my K-01 out the window of a car going 80+ one handed. I'm not gonna make a video describing how to hold the damn camera but I feel someone should since it seems that 90% of internet photographers are friggin retarded...

EDIT: actually watch the digital rev review of the nikon v1, and watch how the guy shows you how to hold a mirrorless camera and a zoom lens... He's hanging from a rope on a rock climbing wall griping the v1 and shooting it exactly how you would a k-01...

Last edited by wanderography; 06-12-2012 at 11:49 AM.
06-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Man, I feel like everyone who bought K-01 has no clue how to hold it, if you hold it like a regular camera with your index finger on the shutter your wrong... Learn to adapt, not everything is the same, if you cant adapt you shouldnt be doing photography an art form that requires adaptability. Look at the shapes and contours of the k-01, notice how the top slowly rolls into the green and red buttons. It's to be hold like a gaming a controller. You use your thumbs... Are photographers really that friggin stupid that when they get a camera different than anything they have ever held they dont have a clue how to hold it. What I would say to you people, dont ever pick a up a firearm or anything else that can cause bodily harm if you were not given a step by step guide on how to use it. The k-01 works fantastic with long zoom way more balanced than any camera I've used for the simple fact you hold it in a fist and use your thumb to hit the shutter. I was able to hold my K-01 out the window of a car going 80+ one handed. I'm not gonna make a video describing how to hold the damn camera but I feel someone should since it seems that 90% of internet photographers are friggin retarded...

EDIT: actually watch the digital rev review of the nikon v1, and watch how the guy shows you how to hold a mirrorless camera and a zoom lens... He's hanging from a rope on a rock climbing wall griping the v1 and shooting it exactly how you would a k-01...
I'm not a gamer, but that does make sense. I put DA*55mm on my K-01 as my preferred lens for this camera, because I like to have some lens to hold on. Using the thumb seems a nice way to handle, so I will discover your suggestion.

**maybe I'm retarted after all**
06-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm not a gamer, but that does make sense. I put DA*55mm on my K-01 as my preferred lens for this camera, because I like to have some lens to hold on. Using the thumb seems a nice way to handle, so I will discover your suggestion.

**maybe I'm retarted after all**
Ya I'm not a gamer either... But it's insane all these people talking BS about the ergonomics of it when obviously they dont have a friggin clue about ergonomics if they do not even know how to properly hold the camera. The camera world is worse than the pop music, gaming, and pokemon communities, half assed assumptions and complete fanboyism. Talking about camera brands like the woman you like it's pathetic actually, especially the folks with more posts than there camera gear is worth, you are the last people I want to ever hear any kind of advice from, ur mouse got more "submit reply" clicks than your shutters...