Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

K01 on The Online Photographer

No, it's not Mike, but still, a really good write up. That photographer gets it, the K01 is a capable machine

The Online Photographer: Out and About with the Pentax K-01

06-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Yes, but in today's market, a camera needs to be more than capable to draw attention to itself.
06-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An interesting review with a different perception of the K-01 by a non Pentax, non-dSLR user.

My wife has been using her K-01 for one month now. She has no dSLR experience, is not interested in dSLR, will never buy a dSLR but .... she loves the K-01. Her comments are very much online with some comments of the review:
"The controls feel fast, positive, and intuitive."

" A soft, almost inaudible shutter sound. Nice heft without feeling heavy. Perfect balance with the DA21mm" (DA40mm xs in my wife's config)

"a beautiful, fixed-position, 3-inch, 900K-dot screen"

"In dim light, where many a DSLR starts to hunt around, focus peaking with manual focus work perfectly."

"It all works, in fact, especially the interface between AF and manual focus. I can switch on the fly with a sturdy switch right where my left thumb would fall without looking up from the action."

My wife would add the neat design: a simple, no-non-sense design which can seat stable in any position.
06-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #4

"Yes, but in today's market, a camera needs to be more than capable to draw attention to itself."

Actually, photographers needs to be more capable to draw attention to themselves.

The K-01 ROCKS!!!!!!!

06-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ikehayden Quote
Actually, photographers needs to be more capable to draw attention to themselves.
And you think the K-01 makes them more capable?
06-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice review. I'm surprised they made so many similar points as I had in my review. Although, who wouldn't mention nice small metal prime lenses?
06-16-2012, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
And you think the K-01 makes them more capable?
It is a poor craftsman that blames his tools........or something like that

06-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is interesting how polarizing the K-01 has been. For some reason, people who don't like it, have aggressively attacked it. Mike Johnston has said that he had to weed out a significant number of comments due to the level of vindictive in them.

It isn't the sort of camera that appeals to me, but I certainly wouldn't attack those who are attracted to it.
06-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my experience that kind of irrational invective is exhibited by people who are somehow threatened by something.
06-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
In my experience that kind of irrational invective is exhibited by people who are somehow threatened by something.
Which begs the question... what type of person would feel threatened by a camera?
06-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Which begs the question... what type of person would feel threatened by a camera?
I couldn't say. I carried mine around a conference all week taking snapshots. The only comment at all, positive, negative or even curious - was from a person who used the camera to include me in a group shot. She said she couldn't use such a nice camera, so I set it on Auto for her.

Everyone else just accepted the fact that I had a camera and I was taking pictures.
06-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
Banned

A nice article.
06-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I bumped into the the Online Photographer site also, and was going to post it on here - but its already done - cool.

Also found this article written by a street shooter who takes pictures in middle east areas. He talks about the kind of camera that works best for street shooting. He's pretty contemptuous of dslrs but is pretty favorable about the new breed of compact cameras. he doesn't mention the K01 specifically, but its obvious it would qualify.

an interesting read, i think.

????? ???? | Felix Lupa - Street Documentary Photography | ????? ????| ?????? ?????
06-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ikehayden Quote
It is a poor craftsman that blames his tools........or something like that
No craftsman blames the tools they didn't even buy.

Instead of not making sense in an attempt to insult me, you would do better to stop and actually read and try to understand the statement that I made:

Yes, but in today's market, a camera needs to be more than capable to draw attention to itself.
My statement was not that the K-01 is not a capable camera - just that it has to be more than that to attract the attention of consumers that didn't blink when the K-5 was released.

It does not matter whether the K-01 is a capable camera or not. It is not *perceived* to be an interesting camera, the same way that Pentax is not *perceived* as being a brand worth investing thousands of dollars into.

Pentax is not the only one to suffer from this. Why are NEX cameras preferred to NX ones? There isn't a large difference between these systems, but Sony is better perceived than Samsung in this area, at least in US.

Read the beginning of this article:

Your Brand Is Everything

QuoteQuote:
Your brand is other people's perception of what it's like to do business with you, work with you, or be with you.
Argue with that if you want - it would be interesting and constructive instead of imagining what I meant to say and failing.

monochrome perceives me as a K-01 hater. I just think the K-01 is a misstep. My criticism never centered around whether the K-01 could take great shots or not (if you think that, just quote me) but on whether it was the right step for Pentax. I still don't see any change in the perception of the Pentax brand as a result of the release of the K-01 to prove me wrong,
06-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It does not matter whether the K-01 is a capable camera or not. It is not *perceived* to be an interesting camera, the same way that Pentax is not *perceived* as being a brand worth investing thousands of dollars into.
Please post links to the marketing studies that support this statement.

As far as my opinion of you - my opinion has mellowed as your comments have mellowed. I was pretty antagonistic in March. Now its a discussion.

I think Pentax was a victim and made a mistake with the K-01
  1. They were the victim of the tsunami, which held up the camera for a year and prompted the Newson decision
  2. They have not courted the review sites and magazines at all - for so long that they have no control over what is written whatsoever.
I think the K-02 will be a more competent camera with all the external options everyone desires - in effect a mirrorless system camera.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-16-2012 at 04:03 PM.