Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #1

Why I'm glad I have a Pentax System

Since I have a good set set of lenses for my K20D, I was elated when I read that the K-01 had an excellent APS-C sensor and I could use the full image and full functionality of all my lenses - and not need OS/VR lenses. Sure, the K-01 body is on the large side - but below are the disadvantages of having a small mirrorless body.

After reading about the Nikon FT-1 adapter that allows SOME Nikon DSLR lenses to be used on Nikon Mirrorless cameras, I was ecstatic that I haven't invested in Nikon lenses.

Here are some quotes from Extension Tubes, Bellows, Adapters - Nikon FT1 Mount Adapter (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

"The adapter . . is available now for around $200" - and it doesn't even have any glass in it ! So I've saved $200.

"Nikon warns that when attaching a lens weighing over 380 grams (around 13 oz), the user should not lift the camera / adapter / lens combination from the camera, as potential damage to the lens mount could result" - so I don't risk breaking my camera when using the 70-200 or 50-500.

" autofocus will work, where it will not work with lenses which are not AF-S compatible" - all my AF lenses work.

" the camera operates at the selected aperture, so if you are stopped down to ƒ/8, you may find the image quite dark, and a little difficult to focus, as there isn't the tight depth-of-field delineating where focus begins and ends. The solution for this is easy - just stop up to the widest aperture, focus, and then stop down to take the photograph." - no worries, I won't miss out on any action shots doing that !!!!

06-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Some Nikon bodies offer limited legacy lens support.
Pentax bodies offer damn near universal legacy support.

MF Nikon [and other] lenses can be modified for Pentax mount.
Nikon bodies can only use Nikon-mount lenses [and maybe M42s]. EDIT

Nikon bodies support in-lens image stabilization for some few lenses.
Pentax bodies offer in-body image stabilization for ALL lenses.

Nikon bodies are not weather resistant.
Pentax users needn't run from rain.

Nikon advertises aggressively.
Pentax markets pissantly.

Nikon wins.

Last edited by RioRico; 06-16-2012 at 01:26 PM.
06-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Nikon bodies can only use Nikon-mount lenses, and M42s.
m42 retain infinity focus only with optical adapters on Nikon bodies, so I wouldn't really count that as compatible. Most lower end Nikon bodies (sub $1200) won't meter with manual lenses, either.

The point of your post is spot on though. Marketing wins, period. Not my dollars, but the vast majority of them. It's more than a little depressing.

Last edited by Philoslothical; 06-16-2012 at 12:49 AM.
06-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
Nikon advertises aggressively. Pentax markets pissantly. Nikon wins

I'm even seeing mass marketing of Fuji P&S throughout varios television networks, but vry rarely see anything from Pentax. I cannot help but wonder what the Pentax advertising budget is for North america

06-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Just curious, what level of legacy compatibility does Canon have with its bodies and array of lenses?

NOT that I'm looking to switch. . . . just curious
06-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera Quote
Just curious, what level of legacy compatibility does Canon have with its bodies and array of lenses?

NOT that I'm looking to switch. . . . just curious
There is no legacy support for Canon manual focus lenses (R, FL, FD). With an adapter you can mount Pentax, M42, Nikon, Yashica/Contax, Olympus, Minolta/Sony Alpha, and Leica R.

Older third party EF mount lenses are often incompatible with newer Canon cameras.
06-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #7

Canikons. . . . poor bastards. . . . ;-(

06-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
m42 retain infinity focus only with optical adapters on Nikon bodies, so I wouldn't really count that as compatible.
I have seen cheap non-optical M42-->Ni adapters on eBay. If they're 1mm thinner than M42-->PK adapters, then narrower-base M42 lenses could reach infinity focus on Nikon bodies. I'll admit that I haven't actually tried such an adapter so I could be wrong here. But I've shaved-down M42-->PK adapters to use with Exakta-mount lenses, and they reach infinity focus on PK. The Pentax-Exakta register difference (45.46mm - 44.7mm = 0.76mm) and the Nikon-Pentax difference (46.5mm - 45.46mm = 1.04mm) are similar, so such an approach should work.
06-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have seen cheap non-optical M42-->Ni adapters on eBay. If they're 1mm thinner than M42-->PK adapters, then narrower-base M42 lenses could reach infinity focus on Nikon bodies.
Interesting. I'll look into that for a friend of mine (though it wouldn't help him with the lack of metering). I was just trying to throw a bit more info for OP, not so much out to correct you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera Quote
Indeed.
06-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Interesting. I'll look into that for a friend of mine (though it wouldn't help him with the lack of metering).
Yeah, metering. That's why I mentioned Nikon's spotty legacy lens support vs the ubiquitous Pentax support for old glass. M42s and M-types may not have total full functionality on Pentax cams, but they do much better than on the Knee-kon line.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lex Madera:
Indeed.
06-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some Nikon bodies offer limited legacy lens support.
Pentax bodies offer damn near universal legacy support.

MF Nikon lenses can be modified for Pentax mount.
Nikon bodies can only use Nikon-mount lenses [and maybe M42s]. EDIT

Nikon bodies support in-lens image stabilization for some few lenses.
Pentax bodies offer in-body image stabilization for ALL lenses.

Nikon advertises aggressively.
Pentax markets pissantly.

Nikon wins.
so true!
06-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #12

Original Poster
A few weeks ago I wanted to buy a 70-200 2.8 with HSM/USM - I was again really glad I chose Pentax as my system 41 years ago.

I found that digitalcamerawholesale still had the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG HSM Macro for Aus$549 ! But only in Pentax Mount. No, digitalcamerawholesale are not grey importers.

The EX indicates it's their premium range and DG indicates it's Full Frame capable !

They would have sold more of these lenses, if they'd correctly put them in the zoom category rather than fixed focus !

If I'd owned a Canon or Nikon system, I would have paid a LOT more for equivalent OS functionality -

Canon - Sigma Lens 70-200 f2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM $1409
or Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM $2769

Nikon - Sigma Lens 70-200 f2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM $1409
or NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II $2869

The lens is still available but for $599 - still an amazing bargain.
06-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nikon has more weather sealed bodies and lenses than Pentax
06-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeAusP Quote
A few weeks ago I wanted to buy a 70-200 2.8 with HSM/USM - I was again really glad I chose Pentax as my system 41 years ago. <snip> The lens is still available but for $599 - still an amazing bargain.
Well, good for you but there is nothing to be glad about. All of the third party lens manufacturers are offering less and less lenses in the K mount. When a replacement model or a new lens is introduced, more often than not, K mount isn't among those listed. I believe the lens you've bought was a close out price, has Sigma announced a replacement model in the K mount?
06-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeAusP Quote
A few weeks ago I wanted to buy a 70-200 2.8 with HSM/USM - I was again really glad I chose Pentax as my system 41 years ago.

I found that digitalcamerawholesale still had the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG HSM Macro for Aus$549 ! But only in Pentax Mount. No, digitalcamerawholesale are not grey importers.

The EX indicates it's their premium range and DG indicates it's Full Frame capable !

They would have sold more of these lenses, if they'd correctly put them in the zoom category rather than fixed focus !

If I'd owned a Canon or Nikon system, I would have paid a LOT more for equivalent OS functionality -

Canon - Sigma Lens 70-200 f2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM $1409
or Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM $2769

Nikon - Sigma Lens 70-200 f2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM $1409
or NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II $2869

The lens is still available but for $599 - still an amazing bargain.
A bargain I couldn't resist, even though I don't really need it.....sorry to be off topic...