Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Newson left a big empty space inside, making the camera a square brick,
We don't know what was in the design brief Pentax gave him. The K-mount requires all 45.46 mm of that empty space.
while he made the grip way too shallow.
The grip fits my size-10-glove hands perfectly. Then again, I cradle the camera by its base in my left hand as I would an SLR. The only SLR I own with a grip (I own 8 SLR's) is the LX.

The top button placement is an example of design ethic over function. The rubber door is just plain an error unless there simply wasn't room inside for a lock, which I doubt. They could have made a hard, locking door and covered it with the rubber.

07-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The K-mount requires all 45.46 mm of that empty space
Yes, that is right. But in a SLR, a mirror is there so the space is not wasted. But K-01 does not have a mirror that need this space. That is why I think it might be a good idea to put a moving translucent mirror for AF, since it has the space for that while other mirror less came doesn't.

And since K-01 doesn't have a mirror, the groove between the mount and grip can be much deeper for better one-hand grip. But I guess most people don't mount a big lens on a K01 anyway.

A viewfinder and a better grip can make it much better for manual lens, I think.
07-01-2012, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, that is right. But in a SLR, a mirror is there so the space is not wasted. But K-01 does not have a mirror that need this space. That is why I think it might be a good idea to put a moving translucent mirror for AF, since it has the space for that while other mirror less came doesn't.
An interesting idea, but then it wouldn't be a mirrorless camera any more, so why not just use a regular mirror and PDAF?
And since K-01 doesn't have a mirror, the groove between the mount and grip can be much deeper for better one-hand grip. But I guess most people don't mount a big lens on a K01 anyway.
There's a thread way back at the beginning of the K-01 Forum showing the internals of the K-01 - it is truly jam-packed with electronics, so while they could extend the grip, they couldn't make the groove any deeper. The space isn't there to do it. The secret to using a K-01 is to use two hands, as you would a film SLR. Used in that way it is a quite stable, comfortable platform. I've successfully and comfortably used a 980g K200/2.5 with this camera, though I wouldn't go longer than that.

This is a second camera for us and a first camera for great images by a snap shooter. It isn't intended to substitute for a dSLR. Yes, it has limitations, but we need to appreciate it for what it is and stop asking Pentax to change it into what it isn't. They're giving us the K30 for that.
A viewfinder and a better grip can make it much better for manual lens, I think.
IMHO Focus peaking and the proper grip style make this a better camera for manual lenses than an APSc dSLR with its tiny viewfinder will ever be.
07-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Even if they do that in a yellow Newson body?
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
No, more like a fatter version of the NEX-7.
Like a big Q. You may get your wish next year!

07-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
But I guess most people don't mount a big lens on a K01 anyway.
This one made with K-01 and DA*300mm:
Sloop Philips kantoor (Pentax K-01), T-Rex style - YouTube

But I like using my DA*55 as favorite lens on it.