Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A translucent mirror for AF in K01

k01 is a great camera, although not for everyone. AF speed is a big step back comparing with K5, or other DSLRs.
Other mirrorless cameras on the market has very limited space between the lens and sensor, but K01 has a lot, which is wasted.
I wonder why not putting a translucent mirror there, just for AF. It flips away when taking picture or video, just like the mirror in SLR.
The only thing it affects is the image showing on the monitor screen, but no the final picture or video.
K01 will be the only "mirrorless" camera that can have a phase-detection autofocus system (without an ugly adapter).

06-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO some sort of system/invention enabling PDAF on a mirrorless camera is definitely the way to go. Wonder how long we'll have to wait for that...but once it happens, I think mirrorless cameras will finally be a feasible option for certain professionals.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
mirrorless cameras will finally be a feasible option for certain professionals

Already used mine on a professional level on many occassions now. Is it a fulll time professional camera? Not yet. But the Pentax K-01 could in fact serve as a second camera body for some (but not all) professional work.
06-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I don't see a moving translucent coming. It is either a translucent that stays in place, and thus taking light from the sensor (wich I don't see coming) or PDAF sensor on the sensorchip incorporated like with Nikon 1 series.

06-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Is it a fulll time professional camera? Not yet.
I guess it is the AF and lacking of viewfinder that makes K01 not a full time professional camera yet? maybe should add lacking balance when a log lens is mounted.
I really would like to see a quick phase-detection mirrorless camera with a good viewfinder.

BTW, a translucent mirror for AF sensor allows both systems work together, maybe one can use more accurate contrast AF to adjust the fast phase AF, after the later brings focus close enough?
06-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't see a moving translucent coming.
Haven't see any camera like that yet, but I don't why can't, technically. The mirror of AF sensor is also movable on DSLR.
06-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Haven't see any camera like that yet, but I don't why can't, technically. The mirror of AF sensor is also movable on DSLR.
When they can make o moving mirror, they can make a translucent moving part. Only thing is that these things cost money and taking them out was one way of making camera's cheaper to produce.

06-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
When they can make o moving mirror, they can make a translucent moving part. Only thing is that these things cost money and taking them out was one way of making camera's cheaper to produce.
Yeah, i guess you are right. But still, a fast and (potentially more accurate) AF system on a although not that much smaller mirror less camera is very attractive to me.
06-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
Banned

maybe should add lacking balance when a log lens is mounted
I'm not sure if i'm reading into this one correctly. I've never had a balancing issue with my K-01 and any variety of lens (tripod or handheld); even though I prefer lens' of a larger size and better optics. I've used the following on the Pentax K-01; some with tripod collar on the lens, some without - but I've also used all of them hald-held, such as...

The Sigma 300mm, Schneider 50mm T/S, Zeiss 85mm, and Pentax 12-24mm

Sure a dslr works better because it's normally held closer to the pic taker therefore allowing much better handheld speed.
06-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Banned

Stick a FF sensor in it with EVF like in the NEX-7 and I will buy it.
06-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Stick a FF sensor in it with EVF like in the NEX-7 and I will buy it.
Even if they do that in a yellow Newson body?
06-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Even if they do that in a yellow Newson body?
No, more like a fatter version of the NEX-7.
06-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
JPT
Pentaxian

Some of Ricoh's compact cameras (GRD IV and CX6) have a small PDAF sensor on the front - not TTL - and they call it Hybrid AF. I wonder if that could help in a future mirrorless camera. On the K-01, the worst cases are when the CDAF goes the wrong way initially. This might help it to guess right in the first place.

And while they are at it, they could put the better LCD screen from the GRD IV (and Sony RX100) on it. Alhough I've never tried it outdoors, it is really bright compared to other screens and would be visible in brighter light.

Another thing is that we haven't had a firmware update for the K-01 yet. The K-30 seems to have improved CDAF on the same hardware, so I'm pretty hopeful it will come to the K-01 eventually.

These are three bits of technology that Pentax/Ricoh already has access to, so they seem like feasible enhancements. But actually, the autofocus performance isn't bothering me in daily use.
06-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
No, more like a fatter version of the NEX-7
I really don't understand the K01 design here: Newson left a big empty space inside, making the camera a square brick, while he made the grip way too shallow. Sometime I really want to dig some holes next to the grip.

I am looking forward to the K02 and hope Mr Newson has done his job and pentax will have their exterior designer to work on it. Pentax's design is almost always great, from SP, LX to K-5.
07-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

but K01 has a lot, which is wasted.
But it won't be wasted forever, right? Some lenses seem to be coming that will extend into the body.