Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 is not very fast-focusing with tele lenses or in very dim light. Then again, even regular PD AF can struggle in those conditions. With the lenses you have, I would suggest you try focus peaking and manual focus, especially with the lenses that were designed with MF in mind and have a long focus throw. The K-01 also has a couple focusing modes, maybe you could try those? Like face detect, or fiddle with the size of the AF area. I find it a very useful camera for photos of still subjects because you can AF anywhere on the screen. But it is not that good for moving subjects with a long lens.

09-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Interesting thread. I'm also thinking of getting the K-01 (Maybe sell my K7) Right now if I'm not mistaken the K-01 + the DA40xs sells for $535 - $580. And as far as I know the DA40(Which I always wanted to get) sells for 200 - 250. with that said it's a no brainer for me to get it. Neh? right?
If you replace a K-7 with a K-01 you will quickly regret not having a DSLR with an OVF and PD auto focus. The two will complement each other as the K-01 produces wonderful files in any situation where you can manual focus with Focus Peaking, but is weak in other situations.
09-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
As long as you are getting it for a specific reason!

I think the k-01 is a good camera, and a good chunk of lenses work well with it. However, there are certainly lenses that don't work well with it, and some just don't like to work at all. So, as a informed user on PF, choose wisely!

Thanks. I believe I'm getting it for the reason I need the most. I'm not really a fan of the looks but as a much smaller digital camera that I can just put inside my bag and carry around I think it will do a great job, which is to be there when I need it. I shoot with manual lenses. and sometimes I carry my analog with me, I am aware that the K-01 would not be able to shoot sports that well or that the autofocus would not be the fastest. But I guess it's okay because I shoot manual lenses anyways.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJowett Quote
If you replace a K-7 with a K-01 you will quickly regret not having a DSLR with an OVF and PD auto focus. The two will complement each other as the K-01 produces wonderful files in any situation where you can manual focus with Focus Peaking, but is weak in other situations.
I agree. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate the fact that it won't have an OVF. But I guess with my shooting style it will be an awesome camera for me.
09-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #19
Forum Member

I also bought one on a whim, body only. Used my FA77 (my only remaining Pentax lens) and although the focus speed is not a problem, the noise it makes surely is!

09-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sworks Quote
I also bought one on a whim, body only. Used my FA77 (my only remaining Pentax lens) and although the focus speed is not a problem, the noise it makes surely is!
What do you mean by noise? focus mechanism or shutter?
09-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I shoot with manual lenses. and sometimes I carry my analog with me, I am aware that the K-01 would not be able to shoot sports that well or that the autofocus would not be the fastest. But I guess it's okay because I shoot manual lenses anyways.
Your gonna love the K-01 if your a manual focus shooter, sometimes I regret not getting the K-30 but I shoot ZERO autofocus lenses and am now hooked on focus peaking and don't think I can ever go back to a standard viewfinder with manual lenses ever again... I'll most likely buy a k5IIs when it comes out for auto focus and WR needs, but for manual focus shooting with a pentax, the K-01 cannot be beat, why I was so bummed no swivel screen... But I find you can see the screen at extreme angles so I'm able to hold it waist level or above my head and still focus with the peaking...
09-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #22
Forum Member

What do you mean by noise? focus mechanism or shutter?
It's the focus mechanism on the FA77.
09-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sworks Quote
It's the focus mechanism on the FA77.
Ahh I see. yeah cause I was thinking it could not have been the shutter because it doesn't have a mirror. unless it has those fake annoying shutter sound that phone cameras have.

09-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #24
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
not that good for moving subjects with a long lens

I've had zero issues with the quality side of the telephoto lens'; such as the Pentax 60-250mm f4.0 and even the Sigma 300mm f2.8.

But also noting; if one happens to have a lens such as the Sigma 50-500mm which as a variable aperature going down to a rather poor f6.3, then those types of lens with poor aperatures (actually anything beyond a f4.5 to sometimes an f5.0) will in fact run into issues in poor lighting
02-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #25

For me, yeah maybe a mistake

K-01: I thought things would be ok so I at what I thought was a great price bought 2. Oops! I just did my first real shoot working close in at the edge of a herd of (almost) tame Roosevelt Elk with a Pentax SMC 18-55 mm in sunlight, spot focus which seemed to go green promptly & without hesitation. I know that this is not a particularly good lens, but that was not the problem. Things were just plainly out of focus when examined later at 100% on a large computer screen. Occasionally, I would get part of an image that was sharp but basically I had to junk the entire folder of the K-01 stuff. The wife & I shot some images with a couple of superzooms for insurance and that saved the shoot. The client thought things turned out great. The superzoom images were, as almost always, sharp but we knew that the real quality wasn't there. In retroflect, shooting a job with a mediocre lens & a cheap untested camera doesn't sound like much of a pro. Maybe I need to quit this scene and go back to hobby town where dummies belong.
I Just got an email from the client telling me again how great the images were. I didn't mention that a couple of superzooms & Neat Image software save our butts. Perhaps a wider focus setting such as "select" or even "face" would help. Peaking seems way too imprecise for critical work. I can still use the camera with manual focus using a Hoodman 3x LCD enlarger but this is way slow. Any suggestions?
02-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Sounds to me like you were not focusing where you should have been with the 18-55. Either that or you really didn't have it on spot focusing. Spot focus focuses right in the middle of the lens. If you were pointing somewhere else and expecting something else to be in focus, that was your problem.

What is the camera set for on the "AF Release Options" under Custom 2? It should be set to 1 to make sure that the shutter will not fire unless in focus.
02-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #27
Pentaxian

firmware

QuoteOriginally posted by everydaylife Quote
When I read that the K01 was not a good choice for action photography then I imagined that meant things like soccer, basketball, motor racing etc. not somebody moving at walking pace.
Try updating the firmware to 1.02. It is said that it autofocuses better. Not sure what that means but give it a try.

02-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Try updating the firmware to 1.02. It is said that it autofocuses better. Not sure what that means but give it a try.
My tests with DA40 had three misses out of four on a dim test target with 1.01, four hits and faster AF with 1.02. Definitely an improvement with that lens, and others show more snap now too. You've nothing to lose unless your battery is low when you try to update
02-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #29

Golden, thank you for the info. I had already upgraded to firmware 1.01. I didn't know that they had already published 1.02. I'll check it out.
Cyclone, thank you for the heads up. I will try to attach some images of my settings as well as a couple of images to illustrate the problems. The focus samples are a 100% crop and thus are a very small portion of the original image. As you can see, sometimes the focus works (eatery front) while the image of the elk doesn't even come close to making it. As you can see from the settings, the auto focus light is off, but the elk were shot in sunlight. I am going to download FW1.02 and shift focus settings to "Select." May that will help. BTW, the spot focus square was consistently green at the instant the image was made.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
02-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
Pentaxian

focus or blur?

QuoteOriginally posted by oldsalt19 Quote
Golden, thank you for the info. I had already upgraded to firmware 1.01. I didn't know that they had already published 1.02. I'll check it out.
Cyclone, thank you for the heads up. I will try to attach some images of my settings as well as a couple of images to illustrate the problems. The focus samples are a 100% crop and thus are a very small portion of the original image. As you can see, sometimes the focus works (eatery front) while the image of the elk doesn't even come close to making it. As you can see from the settings, the auto focus light is off, but the elk were shot in sunlight. I am going to download FW1.02 and shift focus settings to "Select." May that will help. BTW, the spot focus square was consistently green at the instant the image was made.
Seems to me that even the in-focus pics are not very sharp. That kit lens is not that great and there can be variability during manufacturing runs. In other words, even the diner window shot is not all that sharp. And that is a function of the lens used, not the camera.

Also, in the elk shot, is there ANY portion of the picture at 100% that is in-focus??? Seems like camera shake to me + crappy lens. If something is "out-of-focus" at the distance you were aiming at (assuming the green square in the center is working correctly), then some horizontal band behind or in front of the portion you were aiming at would be in-focus. Does that exist in the elk picture?? If not, then I would not blame the camera on problems with these pics.

Perhaps using 2 second delay on a tripod might be something to test first with a sharp prime lens (SR will be turned off automatically). But only you can put the time in to test it to see if it helps or not.

I also recently shot my K-01 with 40mm XS and some pics are blurry, some very sharp. Found that I was using focus peaking without enough fine-tuning. The autofocus shots were fine and focused on what I pointed it to with Spot focus, just like you are doing.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by goldenarrow; 02-23-2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: .